Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anti-Spurs cheater ref caught at last!  (Read 3912 times)
Rand
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« on: July 25, 2007, 12:10:14 pm »

I think I speak for all SA fans when I express my deep and heartfelt relief at the exposure and sacking of Tim Donaghy. Although the man's illegal actions hurt every team and every fan, I think we can agree that the Spurs in particular are better off without Donaghy blowing the whistle. Those four trophies seem even sweeter now, knowing that they were captured even though we had corrupt officials working against us.

And if you actually have a clue about what Donaghy did, you know exactly what I mean.

Donaghy's corruption took the form of influencing the final scores of NBA games - specifically, he called an excessive number of fouls and technicals, and the resulting points off free-throws helped to boost score totals over the Vegas line on the over-under. Now obviously he had no particular team loyalties here - he just wanted the fix. But if you think about it, who would have suffered from that behavior most?

Let's take the infamous Game 3 of the recent Spurs-Suns series. Now, there's no question that there were some dubious calls - how Manu got his face ripped open without any of the zebras noticing, I'm not sure. But it appears that the bad calls in that game were more or less evenly distributed - clearly Donaghy wasn't trying anything shady that day. And a good thing too! Because think about it - if he had been:

- He could easily have whistled Bowen for a million of the non-fouls that go hand in hand with the league's top perimeter defender doing his job. That would not only have given up a lot of free-throw points, it would have sent Bruce to the bench - freeing up the Suns to score even more! Candy for a guy trying to beat the over-under.

- Amare would never have gotten in foul trouble. As it happened, Amare hacked his way to the bench pretty quickly - but think if Donaghy had been up to his old tricks! Who would a points-boosting ref like Donaghy rather have on the court than a guy who's as hot on offense and as crappy on defense as Amare? Not to mention the fact that, sad to say, sending Timmy to the charity stripe isn't exactly a dead-sure way to put points on the board.

All in all, thank goodness they got this jackass. Still, I say we deserve a big ol' asterisk next to the '07 championship:

*Won even though dirty officiating was stacked against them.

PS - My heart goes out to fans of the Phoenix Suns. If you can't win with a dirty ref on your side...
Sunsman44
Undrafted

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 12:34:18 pm »

other way around, son.

Suns won the 2007 title because of corrupt refs (game 3) and corrupt commish suspension via cheaphot Rob (game 5).

Suns have the trophy right now.

Don't deny the truth. Don't deny the facts. Cheaters never win and hence why Suns have been awarded the 2007 title.

This season, in 2008, Suns will yet again defeat the cheapshot Spurs winning their second straight title just like the past season only without a corrupt ref and unlawful suspensions.

Boo hoo hoo.

You lose I win.

RealGM can kiss my...
Happiness1982
MVP

Respect: +1

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 03:20:42 pm »

haha suns i sympathise but unfortunately none of your boys have rings so carry on, i sure they're not too fussed.  :wink:

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

The well-run Hoopshype alternative
amaredaman
Benchwarmer

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 07:33:54 pm »

your a drop kick rand watch the game check amare in foul trouble from the word go with weakass calls he played 20 mins and scored 20pts if he played 30 mins we would have won the game pull your head out urass and stop talking crap

PHOENIX 2009-2010 CHAMPS
Rand
Undrafted

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 06:10:19 am »

amaredaman: Pretend my post was tattooed on somebody's neck, and actually read it. I'm sure the Suns' alternate-universe trophy is very nice and shiny, and if Amare was allowed to commit seventeen fouls per game the way God wants I suppose things might have turned out differently.

The point is, it's obvious that Donaghy wasn't unfairly influencing the outcome of the game. When he did influence games, he did it by boosting the score - so obviously he'd prefer to keep Black Jesus on the court. Who else reliably scores 30 on offense and gives up 50 on D?
amaredaman
Benchwarmer

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 05:56:05 am »

rand you said san antonio won with dirty officiating against them i would just like to know how this is possible with everything going against pho cmon man read what you wrote and pho cant win with a dirty ref on there side watch the series then post again.

PHOENIX 2009-2010 CHAMPS
Rand
Undrafted

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 09:04:40 am »

amaredaman - Are you denying that Donaghy was a crooked ref? The rest of the world certainly seems to think so. And since we know that he tried to maximize points totals, obviously if he did anything dirty during the Spurs-Suns series he did it in the Suns favor (for reasons that should be obvious).

Now, I guess we'll never know for sure if the dirty ref actually did anything dirty in that particular series. We can hope that the Suns won both of the games they took fairly. But how can we be sure? It's bad enough that the League screwed the Spurs over by suspening Horry for two games for a foul that wasn't even worth kicking him out of *that* game for. But hey, I understand that they wanted to appease Phoenix fans, even though the two Suns players were suspended for violating extremely clear and well-known League rules.

It's sad that the Suns' playoff run was tainted like that. It's hardly the players' fault that a dirty ref favored them and the League gave them inappropriate help. But don't worry - the Suns are a resiliant bunch. I have no doubt that they'll regroup and have a great season next year, and when they once again lose in the second round of the playoffs everybody will know that they truly earned it.
cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 12:19:04 pm »

Quote from: "Sunsman44"
other way around, son.

Suns won the 2007 title because of corrupt refs (game 3) and corrupt commish suspension via cheaphot Rob (game 5).

Don't deny the truth. Don't deny the facts. Cheaters never win and hence why Suns have been awarded the 2007 title.

This season, in 2008, Suns will yet again defeat the cheapshot Spurs winning their second straight title just like the past season only without a corrupt ref and unlawful suspensions.

Boo hoo hoo.

You lose I win.

Do you have some sort of mental disability?

Soon....
DWADE3
Journeyman

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 06:09:24 pm »

There is no doubt that Amare was targeted in that game, those fouls where ridiculous....the game wouldve been very different if Amare was still on court

DWADE MVP 2010
Rand
Undrafted

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 11:55:04 pm »

DWADE - Not all Amare's fouls were ridiculous, most of them were just stupid. Okay, some of them were pretty blatant and obvious - like when he came down right on the guy's back - but mostly they were just your basic hacking fouls. And to be honest, one of the calls looked a little questionable to me.

The game would definitely have been different if Amare could have avoided fouling so much. He just needs to get a little smarter and work a little harder on D. He'd better do it soon though - with the loss of KT, PHX is going to be looking to him to defend the rim. And if he doesn't do a better job of that than he has in the past, all the points-boosting refs in the world won't save the Suns.
a-dre
Benchwarmer

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 05:34:52 pm »

this is getting pathetic suns fans. stop hating. we have the ring. you don't. better luck next season.  :lol:
Netstar882211
Benchwarmer

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 10:47:43 pm »

Quote from: "Sunsman44"
other way around, son.

Boo hoo hoo.

You lose I win.

maybe that desert sun has hurt your brain

the spurs are the champs, and there is nothing ot do about it. there was controversy, there was drama, but the suns still lost

get over it

boo hoo hoo
you lose, again

love2434
Journeyman

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 09:55:53 pm »

Suns are going to switch trophy rooms with the Kings. The trophy
room is immaculate. The room is uncontaminated with championships.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: