Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DA: "You Could Be A Celtic Legend"  (Read 2977 times)
Employee8
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« on: April 23, 2016, 11:36:12 AM »

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/04/buckley_isaiah_thomas_now_sits_among_celtics_greats

Prior to last night, it had only happened 20 times in the long, glorious history of this franchise. And only eight players — John Havlicek, Sam Jones, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo, Larry Bird, Reggie Lewis, JoJo White — registered 40-point playoff games.

Today’s NBA stars are not interested in dusty history books and old playoff stories. Until, that is, one of those history books is cracked open for the purpose of adding the name of one of today’s stars.

That’s what happened last night on Causeway Street. With the Celts returning home in an 0-2 series hole against the Hawks, somebody needed to step up, make some noise, score some points. Thomas scored some points. And then some more points. And still more points.

This is another feather in Danny's cap ... when it's time to recruit free agents, those players know they have another star player in Boston to help them achieve not only their personal goals but Franchise/Fan goals as well.

Here's a quote from Thomas regarding the "Legend" comment. It may be early but it looks like DA was't just selling Thomas on Boston but knew what he was saying as his prediction starts to take hold.

I passed my physical that night, and while the Celtics were in Sacramento playing the Kings, I watched the game with Danny Ainge in his office — just me and the GM. We talked about the team, about the trade, about me. And he said something to me I couldn’t believe.

“Isaiah … the way you play the game of basketball, you could be a Celtics legend.”

A Celtics legend? I thought he was crazy — like he was just caught up in the excitement and hype of making a big trade.

But then I Skyped with coach Brad Stevens later that night, and not only was he hyped about the trade, he was hyped about me. He said he didn’t want me to adapt to the rest of the team. He wanted the rest of the team to adapt to me. He said he wanted me to play my game and be the best Isaiah Thomas I could be.

I had never heard anything like that from a coach in my professional career. These guys weren’t just hyped about a big trade. They genuinely believed in me. And I could tell that they believed in every guy in that locker room. That’s why they brought us here.

That’s when it hit me: This was the opportunity I had always wanted. The one I had worked my whole life for. And I was going to do everything I could to take advantage of it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:48:06 AM by Employee8 » Logged
DaCeltics
Undrafted

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 04:31:58 AM »

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/04/buckley_isaiah_thomas_now_sits_among_celtics_greats

Prior to last night, it had only happened 20 times in the long, glorious history of this franchise. And only eight players — John Havlicek, Sam Jones, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo, Larry Bird, Reggie Lewis, JoJo White — registered 40-point playoff games.

Today’s NBA stars are not interested in dusty history books and old playoff stories. Until, that is, one of those history books is cracked open for the purpose of adding the name of one of today’s stars.

That’s what happened last night on Causeway Street. With the Celts returning home in an 0-2 series hole against the Hawks, somebody needed to step up, make some noise, score some points. Thomas scored some points. And then some more points. And still more points.

This is another feather in Danny's cap ... when it's time to recruit free agents, those players know they have another star player in Boston to help them achieve not only their personal goals but Franchise/Fan goals as well.

Here's a quote from Thomas regarding the "Legend" comment. It may be early but it looks like DA was't just selling Thomas on Boston but knew what he was saying as his prediction starts to take hold.

I passed my physical that night, and while the Celtics were in Sacramento playing the Kings, I watched the game with Danny Ainge in his office — just me and the GM. We talked about the team, about the trade, about me. And he said something to me I couldn’t believe.

“Isaiah … the way you play the game of basketball, you could be a Celtics legend.”

A Celtics legend? I thought he was crazy — like he was just caught up in the excitement and hype of making a big trade.

But then I Skyped with coach Brad Stevens later that night, and not only was he hyped about the trade, he was hyped about me. He said he didn’t want me to adapt to the rest of the team. He wanted the rest of the team to adapt to me. He said he wanted me to play my game and be the best Isaiah Thomas I could be.

I had never heard anything like that from a coach in my professional career. These guys weren’t just hyped about a big trade. They genuinely believed in me. And I could tell that they believed in every guy in that locker room. That’s why they brought us here.

That’s when it hit me: This was the opportunity I had always wanted. The one I had worked my whole life for. And I was going to do everything I could to take advantage of it.

His trade for IT will be his second greatest after Garnett!
DaCeltics
Undrafted

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 04:33:20 AM »

Maybe even his greatest because he got IT for nothing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: