Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't Be Surprised If Harrington Deal Never Happens..  (Read 9799 times)
saleem
Starter

Respect: 0

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 12:38:25 am »

Quote from: "t-mac357"
Quote from: "saleem"
The Nets need size not another SF.

last time i checked harrinton played pf
Check again then. Harrington's natural position is at SF. Can he play the 4? Absolutely. However he is undersized at the position. Which is why I said they need size. My point is that Harrington would not "boost" their title hopes with RJ already at the wing. Which is why the Nets have been shopping for players like Wilcox and Ely.(Legit 4's who can run.)

Harrington is a unique player in that he does have ability on both sides of the ball. But he needs the right situation at this stage in his career. A team where he can get a lot of minutes and maybe contend. If money was not a factor then where does he best fit?

"..Yeah, but...$5 bucks..."
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 12:41:21 am »

Check again then. Harrington's natural position is at SF. Can he play the 4? Absolutely. However he is undersized at the position. Which is why I said they need size. My point is that Harrington would not "boost" their title hopes with RJ already at the wing. (Which is why the Nets have been shopping for players like Wilcox and Ely.)

you check again, last time i checked 6'10 is natural pf size, do a league average and you'll see what im talking about,harrington was the starting pf with the hawks fyi

saleem
Starter

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2006, 12:57:34 am »

Check again then. Harrington's natural position is at SF. Can he play the 4? Absolutely. However he is undersized at the position. Which is why I said they need size. My point is that Harrington would not "boost" their title hopes with RJ already at the wing. (Which is why the Nets have been shopping for players like Wilcox and Ely.)

you check again, last time i checked 6'10 is natural pf size, do a league average and you'll see what im talking about,harrington was the starting pf with the hawks fyi
Dude. I don't want to do a big back and forth with you. Look at his hoopsype profile if you want. He's 6'9" at best and his natural position is the SF. Plus look at his game. Atlanta played him out of position. He was successful at it. I'm not arguing that. But he is not the piece that puts NJ over the top. Which is what I was responding to. Sorry if that sets you off but I think it's the truth.

http://www.hoopshype.com/players/al_harrington.htm

t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2006, 01:04:15 am »

put me off, ur entitled to your own opinion, and he's listed at both 6'9 and
6'10 which makes him pf size, and nobody would know if he could put nj over the edge unless he went there, he's a star not a superstar

saleem
Starter

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 10:49:10 pm »

Back to topic. Here is the latest on Al. Pacers are back in the mix!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApE4LNcu1fqNrs8dC1EIby28vLYF?slug=ap-pacers-harrington&prov=ap&type=lgns

sagaliba
Undrafted

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2006, 07:32:30 am »

Quote from: "Ironman"
The trade exception we acquired thru the hornets when trading away peja is worth 7.5 million dollars.

The Pacers have up to one year to use the exception, and it basically means we can trade for any player that is paid 7.6 million or less without trading any of our own players.  Without this exception we would have to trade some of our own players to get Al.

Here is a link that describes it in better detail http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_060713.html

Thanks. But I still don't understand if Pacers can acquire trade exception by trading Paja to Hornets, why can Atlanta get its own trade exception by trading Harrington to ANY TEAM, not just the Pacers?
Ironman
Undrafted

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2006, 08:58:06 am »

Because no other teams in the nba right now are under the nba's salary cap.  Teams under the salary cap may make trades as they please, as long as they go over the salary cap following a trade.  But if a team is over the cap, the proposed trade has to have salaries balance more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted.  So it really difficult to trade a player for a player, there salaries have to be really close.  You cant just trade Allen Iverson for Jeff Foster because there salaries are not even close.

We got that trade exception because the Hornets were under the nba salary cap at that time so they could absorb the full contract of peja.  Since the hornets were under the salary cap we did not have to take back players from the hornets to balance the salaries.  Instead we recieved the player exception valued at 7.5 million. No other teams besides the hawks are under the salary cap so the hawks dont have that option.
sagaliba
Undrafted

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2006, 10:10:52 am »

Got it, thanks Ironman.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Jump to: