Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Don Nelson Interview  (Read 3896 times)
turk
Star

Respect: 0

« on: September 14, 2006, 02:07:46 pm »

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/basketball/nba/golden_state_warriors/15514466.htm

A couple of interesting things I noticed:
1) The first guy Nelson mentioned: Mike Dunleavy, can play point forward (see my previous post). He also mentioned that he would like Dunleavy to play power  forward see 4 for more on this.

2) Second guy mentioned: Baron Davis (this is good, it shows  that he wants to try and get on Baron's good side, which is something I was concerned about).

3) Third guy mentioned: Mickael Pietrus - interestingly he calls Pietrus "one of the mystery guys" in which he includes Troy Murphy and Monta Ellis. It's quite likely that he wants Dunleavy to play 4 so he can start Pietrus at 3. He also made the point that he wants Pietrus to go back to focusing on defense, it'll be interesting to se how Pietrus responds to that.

4) Fourth guy is Murphy (see 3 on Dunleavy). The other reason he wants Dunleavy to play 4 is because he wants Murphy to play center. This is his idea of playing "small ball" and his starting lineup (barring injury) will most likely be:

Davis - pg
Richardson - sg
Pietrus - sf
Dunleavy - pf
Murphy - c

Quite different from any of the suggested lineups that I've seen posted here. So therefore you Murphy and Dunleavy haters, who were happy that Nelson got the job, I tried telling you. Nelson is going to shake things up. Now that the Warriors via draft and acquisitions have gone from a team which was too small to a fairly big team and has been dominated for the last ten years by most of the good big men in the league, he is going to change it all around and go back to a "run and gun". It may work and it may have some success but what's going to happen to all the bigs they now have: Foyle, Murphy, Biedrins, Diogu, Taft, O'bryant, Cabakarpa and Petrovic? That's over half their team. What about Biefrins and Diogu? Diogu, relatively small for a power post up player is not a Nelson type. Chances are he'll have to get time at center in addition to Murphy. And where does that leave Biedrins who we all seem to like? Personally, I think Biedrins should be thier starting center and although I think Biedrins fits Nellie's style, he likes Murphy better because of Murphy's outside shooting (Nelson likes having big men who can shoot it which Biedrins is not). As I said, earlier we really do not know what Nelson's going to do for sure, but it appears he's going to try and shrink this team (size wise) now that they've physically gotten bigger. Oh well. I hate to say I told you so. If this is the way he's going to proceed he's going to have to move some of these big men which Mullin was unable to do (although I'm sure it wasn't from lack of trying). I believe that Mullin wasn't able to move them because he was not able to get equal value in return. What this means likely is that Nelson will just be giving them away in order to get what he wants roster wise. This is my next prediction. So I guess we can look forward in the future to a bunch more ex-Warrior all stars which I suppose that most of are used to by now.

--turk--
turk
Star

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 12:48:57 am »

One other thing in this interview which I forgot to mention which is worthy of note:
Nelson said that Baron's overweight. I thought that was real interesting. I was wondering how Baron was going to react that. In another newspaper article today, Baron was quoted as saying "he was looking forward to playing for Nellie" indicating that he was o.k. Nelson's comment. I guess if I was making 16 M I wouldn't mind be called "phat" either. Regardless, that's a good sign as I worried about that one.

Here's the quote from Nellie (taken from the article):

"(Davis) is a great player, and he's going to flourish in my system. But he's too heavy to play my style of ball. He's got to get thinner; everybody has to be thinner than they are."

I wonder if he (Nellie) includes himself in that statement. Maybe he ought to get together with Baron and they can diet together.

--turk--
bayball
Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 06:07:01 pm »

there are many questions brought up by nelsons comments...here are a couple with my answers
1) how will baron respond under nelson (after he chafed last year under monty)?
2) will baron come into camp healthy and ready to play?
3) what are the roles of the plethora of big men?

1) i believe baron will be motivated this year to prove all the haters wrong. Most of the media and many warriors fans as well have written him off so i think he will be determined to come back and play like the superstar we all know he can be. It is his play that will determine how well the warriors do this year.
2) good news, the warriors did timed sprints the other day and baron had the best time of anyone, so that bodes very well.
3) There will be a squeeze on playing time which i think will stall the developement of biedrins, obryant and diogu. Along with foyle, minutes will be given to whoever emerges as the best fit for nelly's system.

legenderypete
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 08:40:20 pm »

o'bryant is said to go to the Developmental league when he comes back from injury, because he still quite raw and they have alot of big men so it makes sence
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

Respect: +180

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 10:52:37 am »

Yeah, I think O'Bryant would benefit most from playing at least a few months in the development league. He's got insane potential, but he is going to need to actually play for it to develop, and he won't get much playing time if he goes right into the NBA. The development league should really help him out.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
ruelzsantana
Star

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 12:12:44 pm »

Quote from: "Mild Sauce"
Yeah, I think O'Bryant would benefit most from playing at least a few months in the development league. He's got insane potential, but he is going to need to actually play for it to develop, and he won't get much playing time if he goes right into the NBA. The development league should really help him out.

oh hell yea he can do that definitly but he shouldnt stay long though he should work really hard & come back on the roster the Warriors need him ASAP

bayball
Starter

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 11:47:44 am »

First i think we need to temper expectations on Obryant. Yes he is a true seven footer, but at least what ive seen of him he isnt nba ready or even close. He gets into foul trouble more easily than Andris Biedrins, has bad footwork, and plays soft. He is very slow as well, which wont help him at at fit in into Nelson's uptempo attack. He wont get much playing time anyway and his injury will further retard his developement.

lungi101
Journeyman

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 02:58:18 am »

Mike D is going to finally get to play to his strengths. I still think this team is going to need a lot of help defending down low. I dont know if they will make the playoffs but they should have a 500 record this season. And maybe by next season they can get some different parts to go with what they have.
Big C
Benchwarmer

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 03:31:40 pm »

Before Don does anything else he better establish a good relationship with Davis. If not you can throw the season down the drain.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: