Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dont bother with Zero  (Read 13101 times)
Rashidi
Starter

Respect: +2

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 11:06:03 am »

The Bulls got by without a PG, same for the Lakers.  Arenas is a good enough scorer that pairing him with a pass first SG, or a big PG should work.  If Iverson can work at SG, Arenas definitely can.

Happiness1982
MVP

Respect: +1

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 11:28:15 am »

Iverson doesnt work at SG- look at how teams with him have found it hard to succeed. And you just said the two things I'd been saying that can make it work lol. But those things arent easy to find or cheap.

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

The well-run Hoopshype alternative
steve
MVP

I've grown to hate you all.

Respect: +1110

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 11:43:24 am »

And I keep saying they have two good passing guards in Daniels and Stevenson.

Put my existence on this forum against yours.  Toronto makes the playoffs.
Happiness1982
MVP

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 12:15:51 pm »

lol I was countering Rash you impetuous DCite!

And as I said, Daniels can work but he's not good enough defensively. Stevenson isnt going to get you 5apg.

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

steve
MVP

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 12:47:40 pm »

Oh I realize that.  Also why Daniels doesn't play more than 28 minutes a game (and Stevenson plays less that 30 also).  It usually works out when you have Arenas averaging 6 assists a game and Butler averaging about 4 a game.

Happiness1982
MVP

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 01:27:08 pm »

Now you're talking! Having a versatile sf like Butler does, in many ways, counter Gilbert's flaws BUT the only issue I have with that is you still need the decent defensive sg or big pg unless you want your sf guarding quicker slashing sgs/sfs like carter/mcgrady/bryant etc, which Butler can do with some success. Its interesting, i'd love to see jamison shipped out for a really good big (wont happen for obvious reason but still) and observe a team of Zero, Deshawn, Butler, Songalia (or any old pf) and Mr New Boots to see if it could really pick up steam. In fact, even a post-skilled pf would be ok.

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

steve
MVP

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 01:47:57 pm »

I really liked my idea of some how picking up Al Jefferson, it won't happen mind you, but it's nice to dream.

Happiness1982
MVP

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 03:20:37 pm »

I suppose the issue with a shoot first guard like arenas is if you give him a talented big, is he capable/willing to feed that guy before taking his own shot? having a sg do it as well simply isnt practical in my book. i think if you put a top sg with a top c/pf then the sg has to know that its big man first, him second in most cases. maybe thats why you get mcgrady doing the point forward bit sometimes (as if they had a top pg would he get so much of the ball?). just thinking 'out loud' now sorry...

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

steve
MVP

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 03:35:06 pm »

Well, two seasons ago, they would feed the ball into Brendan Haywood early in the game and usually be rewarded with nothing (a lot of close range clanks, some turnovers, it was fun for the whole family), then they just gave up because Haywood's basically a back up center and he's crap.  So they're not adverse to the idea of feeding a big man, it's just that they haven't had the opportunity to do it, well, ever (well at least since Juwan Howard was there, and makes me cringe just typing that).  I'd much rather have some there and yell at the TV screen for them to feed a competent big man, instead of just be content having them launch jumpers knowing full well that they don't have anyone to feed the ball to.

Happiness1982
MVP

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 04:10:17 pm »

ahahaha you poor man! as a fan of a club long bereft of a quality big man i can truly empathise.

'feed the ball into brendan haywood' lol. christ you KNOW you're in trouble when thats on the flip chart before the game!

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

IlovePPierce
MVP

Respect: +14

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 08:15:00 pm »

How long are Brendon and Etan gonna be on this team?  They've killed the Wizards for a couple years now.  How long is this gonna last?
steve
MVP

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 08:31:57 pm »

They both have three years on their contracts, and those contracts wouldn't even half as bad if either one of them would play with any sense.

zunami23
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1312

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 02:41:51 am »

Quote from: "steve"
Well, two seasons ago, they would feed the ball into Brendan Haywood early in the game and usually be rewarded with nothing (a lot of close range clanks, some turnovers, it was fun for the whole family).
LOL. This is why they need to sign a big man with the money freed up from Jamison's contract. Al Jefferson would be great like you said.

Iverson doesnt work at SG- look at how teams with him have found it hard to succeed.
The team that made the Finals was built really well. I blame Billy King for the lack of success after that. I know the Wizards right now have nothing in common with the '00-'01 Sixers (except for Arenas/Iverson) but I'm gonna use them as a model anyway because a light bulb turned on in my head.
Snow was a great defender but the backcourt was still too small to stop defenders from getting into the paint. Why were the Sixers such a good defensive team? Because they had Mutombo making the paint look less appealing. This in turn allowed Snow and Iverson to play the passing lanes more aggressively and put the opponent's offense in disarray.
So if the Wizards wanna follow this model, they should get a good defensive PG who doesn't shoot too much and a defensive presence in the paint. Which team has both? Ironically, the Sixers! Dalembert and Miller. Unfortunately they both have bad contracts. But add in Ollie's expiring contract and Songaila's 4 years remaining and it looks a lot better.
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=991~557~620~183~1000~1784~851&teams=27~27~27~20~20~20~20&te=&cash=
Happiness1982
MVP

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 02:51:31 am »

No, Arenas is playing PG, and they have a defensive SG (Deshawn), although he's not a good enough passer as discussed.

So imo they only need a defensive big man to test your scheme. The trouble is, they dont have any assets. Jamison alone wont get them a quality big man, and after him its Butler and its Arenas and thats it.

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

zunami23
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1312

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 02:57:28 am »

Stevenson would be the 6th man in my scheme. Miller is a great passer unlike Deshawn, but you have a point that just a big man could be enough. Camby's the only guy I can think of in a sign-and-trade involving Jamison since he would fit in Denver well with Nene at center, but obviously Jamison's not enough. Jamison and Daniels? Still not enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Jump to: