Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: What's the best Westward Sports Expansion?  (Voting closed: August 12, 2006, 11:25:41 pm)
Minneapolis Lakers moving to Los Angeles - 3 (60%)
New York Giants moving to San Francisco - 0 (0%)
Brooklyn Dodgers moving to Los Angeles - 2 (40%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Westward Sports Expansion  (Read 2603 times)
kobeshowtime24
Journeyman

« on: August 12, 2006, 11:25:41 pm »

Over the years fans have had to live with the hardship of watching their teams relocate to other cities in search of greater profit. Like the pioneers owners have continually expanded westward. I'm asking you which move worked out the best.

What's the Best Westward Sports Expansion?

Brooklyn Dodgers moving to Los Angeles in 1958: The Dodgers recently set the Guiness Book of World Records for highest cumulative attendance of any baseball franchise. They repeatedly rank number one and two in attendance figures, sharing that honor with the New York Yankees. They have been far more successful in Los Angeles winning five world championships compared to one in Brooklyn, though a large number of championship appearances.

New York Giants moving to San Francisco in 1958: The Giants have enjoyed stellar attendance over the past several years in San Francisco but prior to that struggled as a franchise and were nearly moved to Tampa Bay in the early nineties. Due to the 49ers struggles over the past four years the Giants have definitely taken over ast the most popular team in the Bay Area but still have no team success to account for their 48 year history in San Francisco where they have yet to win a championship.

Minneapolis Lakers moving to Los Angeles in 1960: The Lakers turned themselves from a nearly bankrupt franchise when they moved to Los Angeles to arguably the most prestigious basketball franchise in the world.
They have won nine championships in L.A. (14 total) and have been home to some of the greatest basketball players of all time: Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant.

Somebody really needs to investigate how many deposits were made into the bank accounts of the referees during the 2006 NBA Finals .... and being a Laker fan I didn't have much reason to root against an organization that's comprised of former Lakers.
Dynasty
MVP

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 02:00:09 am »

I think the 9 titles put the Lakers over the top.  Don't underestimate the move of the Kansas City A's to Oakland though.  They've won 4 world series' since they moved to Oakland.
kobeshowtime24
Journeyman

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 06:00:25 pm »

I know, in reality the A's should be up there instead of the Giants. I simply picked the Giants because they're more popular than the A's.

Somebody really needs to investigate how many deposits were made into the bank accounts of the referees during the 2006 NBA Finals .... and being a Laker fan I didn't have much reason to root against an organization that's comprised of former Lakers.
kwolffsc
Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 07:15:41 pm »

Only Barry Bonds has mad the Giants more popular that that A's. If only Mark McGwire was back!

kobeshowtime24
Journeyman

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 01:31:56 pm »

Yeah, I know I used to live in the Bay Area and it made no sense to me why the Giants garnered more respect than the A's (who actually win championships). As a franchise the Giants are pathetic.

Dynasty
MVP

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 02:03:20 pm »

Two reasons
1. Say Hey Willie Mays
2. Barry Bonds
kobeshowtime24
Journeyman

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 05:37:06 pm »

Yeah, I know they were also there before the A's which also contributes.

kwolffsc
Starter

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 10:14:03 pm »

that's true guys

Go Cardinals!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: