Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Future Watch  (Read 7513 times)
paulnumberpee
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« on: November 12, 2007, 09:45:25 am »

If the season keeps going the way it is going the Wolves will definately have a top 4 pick in the 2008 draft.

The purpose of this thread is to track the upcoming NBA prospects as they go through their college seasons and disscuss who might make the best fit on the Wolves roster.  I will update this thread with player statlines as they occur.  I'm going to include the prospects that seem like the best prospects for the Wolves; if you want me to include someone else and have a convincing argument about why the Wolves might choose them, just post a reply in this thread.

Listed in no particular order:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/1333101

Derrick Rose, PG, 6'4", 195

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/1333246

OJ Mayo, PG, 6'5", 210

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/1333931

Roy Hibbert, C, 7'2", 278

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/526012

Kevin Love, C, 6'10", 250

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/1333916

BC Beneke
Journeyman

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:55:09 am »

those are the top 4 players on my board too for this team.

Beasley being 4th.

Mayo, Rose, Hibbert, Beasley....

Thanks,

BC Beneke
paulnumberpee
Undrafted

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 10:15:11 am »

You like Mayo the best huh?  Seems to me the kid jacks up shots.  
12-27? 8tos?  Those don't seem like great PG numbers to me.  

Granted it was just one game and the Wolves do need a scorer.  I was on the Rose/Hibbert train for a while, now I'm really starting to consider Beasley as he's putting up crazy numbers.

BC Beneke
Journeyman

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 11:21:36 am »

I don't have a problem with any of the 4.

Suffice it to say that with 4 players like that available, and the Twolves lack of ability to win this year, and their crappy luck drafting...

That if they finish with the worst record they will at least have a chance at one of the top 4 players there...

Beasley brings a pure modern PF, and would move Jefferson to the 5.

Hibbert compliments Jefferson on the block for rebounding, and provides a shot blocker, and if we resigned Ratliff cheaply... it brings us to a whole new level as a defensive team... Brewer, Gomes, Jefferson (rebounding), Ratliff, and Hibbert... and Foye has the athletisism to run 94 ft with the other point...  we could be a work hard, win ugly kind of team like Utah.

Rose is the best pure point guard in the draft, and may very well be better than Connoley this year.. so that's all good... anyone who reads my whining knows how much I miss a traditional point guard...  

I'm looking for Pooh Richardson to come out of retirement at this point, lol.

and Mayo... Mayo... that little monster could be just what this team needs... he's got a bad rep, but I've read amazing things from his college coach, and have not heard of one distraction since the flop from the ref in high school... check the youtube out... Mayo was baited, and the guy went down like he was paid.

Mayo isn't afraid to throw up the shot, he knows how to drive to the basket, he knows how to pass the ball... he is still learning when to do each, and on that level think of Sebastian Telfair with the ability to turn into Allen Iverson...  and not Sebastian Telfair turning into... oh no, sebastian telfair...  

Note to Telfair... if you shoot the ball and it's not a last ditch attempt... you failed the team... 10 assists, 3 steals, 5 points on 3-5 shooting... and that's heaven...  but usually it takes Telfair 15 shots to get those 5 points.

So I really don't see it as a lose situation anyway around.  I mean if Foye proves he's better than he was last year, and that he is a point guard... Beasley or Hibbert would rock.  if not, Rose is a must, and Mayo... as I said... that kid just has no conscience when it comes to the time of the game... he will shoot because he's programmed to shoot... he wants to be a star... he's never walked out on his team, or shot the ball at the wrong basket to pad his stats...  he's 18 years old, and already more man than Ricky Davis will ever be.

Thanks,

BC Beneke
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 12:04:52 pm »

Nope, I don't like Mayo. He's a me-first guy. I see him turning into Marbury (a very taleneted stat stuffer with a bad attitude which turns his game worse and worse). I heard about his acts in high school, about his bad reputation, about how he argued with Baron Davis during some exhibitonal summer tournament. He's like AI, just AI has proven that he can put everything aside to WIN. Marbury couldn't, can Mayo? Let's not take a chance and then end up trading him for some mediocre talent.

I believe with Foye, so I would go with Hibbert. With Big Al being a 20+ point threat every game I say we don't need stellar scoring from our center. We seriously need a big body who rebounds well, so if Hibbert proves to be a 12-8 rookie center at the NBA level, who also brings anywhere between 1 and 2 blocks...we're good to go down low. Seriously. We might even be better than Aldridge-Oden next year.

Beasley, I think with this kind of a guy, we have another Brandan Wright. An awesome college player, who still needs to learn A LOT in the NBA, and probably won't contribute right away. And he's a terrible defender I hear. By terrible I mean TERRIBLE, not "needs work".

I'm tired of the same trend in Minny; "He's a rookie, give him time". Screw that. I want the same NOH had with Paul, POR had with Roy and Seattle and Atlanta have with Durant and Horford.

Hibbert gives that. He's a senior, his body is NBA-ready, he got as much experience as was possible during his college years, and this year with the absence of Jeff Green he will be asked to carry the load for Georgetown. You can't get more NBA-ready than that.

Derrick Rose is much better for the Wolves than Mayo, because he's pass first with the ability to score in bunches and create his own shot. If Foye doesn't prove he belongs as a PG, draft Rose and shift Randy to SG.

So my take;
Hibbert / Rose / Beasley / Mayo

BTW guys, what about adding Kevin Love? He's a 6-9 PF, not as explosive as Beasley, but with a better all-around game. He is said to be "Ryan Gomes with better size". If we somehow fall out of the first 5 of the draft and Gomes wals away in free agency, this is the guy to draft and shift Big Al to C.
paulnumberpee
Undrafted

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 12:36:15 pm »

Well said man.  I think my preference right now rides on which pick the Wolves get and how coveted guys like Rose and Mayo are by other teams.

That is, say the Woves get the #4 pick, by all estimates, Hibbert will be there and possibly lower.

#3?  It depends on who's left over between Mayo, Beasley and Rose.  If you're stuck taking Mayo, I think you trade down to another team for their pick and player, with that pick you take Hibbert.  

#2 and #1?  It'll probably be between Beasley and Rose.  I'm undecided here.  Of course all of this will probably change as the college season progresses.

I'll add Love to the mix with the next round of updates.

BC Beneke
Journeyman

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 12:42:04 pm »

Love looks like someone who could be a late lottery, or right after the lottery kind of guy, so maybe if we get Miami's 1st round pick we can get him?

I agree, I was looking at the wolves as having the best chance to have the number 1 pick overall, and that is where the Mayo thing comes from... but with any of those four the team can't really go wrong...

I will look more into Love, but I saw him at 16 in one early draft list already.

I will also work on stopping the hate, but bear with me, it's not easy.

Thanks,

BC Beneke
legenderypete
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 06:01:16 pm »

mayo first game wasnt great he forced everythin and took alot of bad shots. He dosent remind me of marbury more of a jamal crawford who also has terrible shot selection. His 8 turnovers is pretty bad and he didnt play well on defence.

i would go for hibbert. Jefferson and hibbert would be a great inside game, espically with jefferson not bein the greatest defender
BC Beneke
Journeyman

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 10:39:46 pm »

yeah, as I'm saying, it's really not much of a downside to getting a top 4 pick right now.

Plus there is always someone from Europe, or China, Africa, Mars, or some other planet that comes in and changes the draft around like Yi did this year, and Marc Gasol surpisely didn't.

Thanks,

BC Beneke
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 01:32:39 am »

Quote from: "paulnumberpee"
You like Mayo the best huh?  Seems to me the kid jacks up shots.  
12-27? 8tos?  Those don't seem like great PG numbers to me.  

Granted it was just one game and the Wolves do need a scorer.  I was on the Rose/Hibbert train for a while, now I'm really starting to consider Beasley as he's putting up crazy numbers.

mayo's assist/turnover ratio is going to be hurt alot by the fact he has to play the role of both a sg and a pg, the kid can flat out play though

Jesus_Shuttlesworth
Benchwarmer

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 07:02:21 am »

Rose is the real deal. I think if the T'Wolves can get him, they should go after him.
BC Beneke
Journeyman

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 09:58:14 am »

I think one of the great advantages of having a young team, and a coach that seems to understand his role as a teacher, and not as a Bill Mussleman kind of coach is that the Wolves are going to be almost guarenteed a top 5 pick for as long as Wittman is the coach.  My greatest concern with him is that he has never proven he could coach a team to a win.  His track record from last season here in Minnesota, and his time in Orlando, and especially his time in Cleveland has always lead to one single conclussion... the lottery.

I look right now at the top 6 picks in the draft, and 5 of the guys mentioned would all work for this team... we've already listed the top 4, and those are the guys I am focusing on because I don't see another team competing with the wolves for quite a while for the worst record which would guarentee them a top 3 pick.

Thanks,

BC Beneke
paulnumberpee
Undrafted

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 11:08:01 am »

You ever heard of that team called the Supersonics?

I think they may be worse than the Wolves right now.  At least the Wolves have been competitive.  And they don't even have Foye right now!

I want to see the Wolves compete and grow, but I also want them to have an early draft pick.  With Seattle threatening to go 0-82, the Knicks ready to implode, and our lousy luck in the lottery, I'm kinda worried.

BTW, I'm all but sold on Beasley.  He's very talented and is a rebounding machine.  His arrival would also make the Wolves very versitile as he can play the 4 or the 3.

AL can play the 4 or the 5.

Brewer/Green can play the 3 or the 2

Foye can play the 1 or the 2

Depending on if they can also land a center, they could either go big with this line-up:

C- Ratliff, possible draft pick
PF- Big Al
SF- Beasley
SG- Brewer/Green
PG- Foye

or they could go small with a line-up like this:

C- Big Al
PF- Beasley
SF- Brewer/ Green
SG- McCants
PG- Foye

I gotta say, the more I think about it, the more I think the Wolves need a potential star out of this draft.  I think Beasley fits the bills thus far.
If they end up getting Miami's pick, they could always go for a center later in the round.  This draft seems to be loaded with them.
Like this guy:

http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/hasheemthabeet.html

BC Beneke
Journeyman

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 11:26:34 am »

I think that this draft is going to center on a lot of things.

1.  Can Foye handle the point?
2.  Can McCants stay healthy?
3.  Can Brewer mature fast?
4.  Is Gomes more than a great 6th man?
5.  Will they be looking to resign Theo, and even so, at how much, and for how long?

6.  How close will this team be at the end of this season to turning everything around?

Thanks,

BC Beneke
funkatron101
Undrafted

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 01:04:25 pm »

I believe the Warriors are winless as well. Bulls, Heat and Wizards are all off to a horrible start. It's early, but no sure thing that the Wolves end up with the worst record.

The best case scenario would be for the Wolves to lose early and often, then gel enough to pick-up some wins new the end of the season to show that they have promise.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Jump to: