Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Could the Spurs make the playoffs without Tim Duncan?  (Voting closed: December 24, 2007, 02:59:14 am)
Yes. - 17 (81%)
No. - 4 (19%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Difference between other teams and the Spurs.  (Read 3451 times)
ceballos
« on: December 24, 2007, 02:59:14 am »

Quote from: "joehoo"
Quote from: "grimballer"
last season he wasnt like mj to the bulls or wade to the heat.

Wait, what?  
Duncan had less help than MJ.  Are you saying that Tony Parker > Scottie Pippen?

Quote from: "tbdog85"
Are you saying that if Duncan was injured to spurs would still make the playoffs? Big call, I believe they could to but it would be a huge battle. Think about it, Lewis and Allen struggled and sometimes didnt make the playoffs together. AI and webber struggled. What about baron, Jackson, Harrington, richardson they only just made it and also brand couldnt lead them to the playoffs last year as well and he is a star player.

Those 3 statements, makes me think about the Spurs playoff chances without Duncan.

First and second statements: He wasn't like Jordan to the Bulls or Wade to the Heat and Pippen>Tony Parker.  

.The second one, Wade to the Heat, shouldn't even be debated I believe. Take out Wade from the Miami's champions team, maybe they didn't even make the playoffs. Play with a half-healthy Wade, they swept by the struggling Bulls. Wade is more valuable to the Miami Heal, hell he is the only valuable player to them since Shaq "has a bad season" (lol).

.The Bulls one. What do you think. The first three-peat team had Pippen, Horace Grant, Cartwright, Paxson, and that's all. I think the supporting cast which Duncan's had, is better than this. Pippen is a tough call, but the other ones are so mutch better. I mean Pippen>>>>>Parker, but Grant<Ginobili, Paxson<Bowen, Cartwright=the Spurs 2 centers, then you have Horry, Brent Barry and Finley.
Though the second three-peat team had better players than the Spurs I believe.

Third statement:
.Could the San Antonio Spurs make the playoff without Tim Duncan? I think they would have a valid chance. I mean look at their roster: Ginobili and Parker are as effective as Lewis and Allen, and the Sonics made the playoff one time. That Sonics team didn't have players like Bruce Bowen, best one on one defender, Horry, Finley, Barry. Also they have a superstar coach, Gregg Popovich. I know it can go both ways, but what funny is that there IS a chance that the Spurs could make the playoffs without the best power forward ever! IS there any chance that Kobe's Lakers can win more than 30games? Or the Phoenix Suns without Steve Nash? That Spurs team is scarry.
BRockin25
MVP

Respect: +1434

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 03:22:56 am »

Quote from: "ceballos"

Wait, what?  
Duncan had less help than MJ.  Are you saying that Tony Parker > Scottie Pippen?

Are you saying that if Duncan was injured to spurs would still make the playoffs? Big call, I believe they could to but it would be a huge battle. Think about it, Lewis and Allen struggled and sometimes didnt make the playoffs together. AI and webber struggled. What about baron, Jackson, Harrington, richardson they only just made it and also brand couldnt lead them to the playoffs last year as well and he is a star player.

Those 3 statements, makes me think about the Spurs playoff chances without Duncan.

First and second statements: He wasn't like Jordan to the Bulls or Wade to the Heat and Pippen>Tony Parker.  

.The second one, Wade to the Heat, shouldn't even be debated I believe. Take out Wade from the Miami's champions team, maybe they didn't even make the playoffs. Play with a half-healthy Wade, they swept by the struggling Bulls. Wade is more valuable to the Miami Heal, hell he is the only valuable player to them since Shaq "has a bad season" (lol).

.The Bulls one. What do you think. The first three-peat team had Pippen, Horace Grant, Cartwright, Paxson, and that's all. I think the supporting cast which Duncan's had, is better than this. Pippen is a tough call, but the other ones are so mutch better. I mean Pippen>>>>>Parker, but Grant<Ginobili, Paxson<Bowen, Cartwright=the Spurs 2 centers, then you have Horry, Brent Barry and Finley.

Third statement:
.Could the San Antonio Spurs make the playoff without Tim Duncan? I think they would have a valid chance. I mean look at their roster: Ginobili and Parker are as effective as Lewis and Allen, and the Sonics made the playoff one time. That Sonics team didn't have players like Bruce Bowen, best one on one defender, Horry, Finley, Barry. Also they have a superstar coach, Gregg Popovich. I know it can go both ways, but what funny is that there IS a chance that the Spurs could make the playoffs without the best power forward ever! IS there any chance that Kobe's Lakers can win more than 30games? Or the Phoenix Suns without Steve Nash? That Spurs team is scarry.

The Spurs could make the playoffs without Duncan. They are vets, well coached, and they know how to work together with or without Duncan.

Now, could they actually do anything in the playoffs without TD? No. Their defense would make them competitive, but you need D and inside scoring. Parker and Ginobili get to the hole but it wouldnt not enough, as teams could pressure them more up top without Duncan.

ceballos
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 03:49:29 am »

Quote from: "BRockin25"
Quote from: "ceballos"

Wait, what?  

Third statement:

The Spurs could make the playoffs without Duncan. They are vets, well coached, and they know how to work together with or without Duncan.

Now, could they actually do anything in the playoffs without TD? No. Their defense would make them competitive, but you need D and inside scoring. Parker and Ginobili get to the hole but it wouldnt not enough, as teams could pressure them more up top without Duncan.

It's okay, but the point is that name me any other NBA team which has a top10 NBA superstar and which could make the playoffs without that given superstar.
For example, Lakers without Kobe, Phoenix without Nash, Miami without Wade, Nets without Kidd, Clippers without Brand and so on. The only teams which have valid chance is Dallas without Nowitzki (but that's a VERY tough call) and Denver without Allen Iverson.
That's how good is the Spurs. They have a team which could make the first round without the best player in the game period.
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 04:38:21 am »

for starters, duncan has and has had a good amount of help, now he has ginobili, parker, finley, and bowen

in the past he's had david robinson, avery johnson, and solid role players like van exel, stephen jackson, e.t.c.

and most importantly, the spurs do a good job of surrounding their core players with players that complement them, jordan didn't have that

Happiness1982
MVP

Respect: +1

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 08:44:39 am »

Quote from: "t-mac357"

and most importantly, the spurs do a good job of surrounding their core players with players that compliment them, jordan didn't have that

quoi?

He had Harper, Kukoc, Longley, Rodman.

AND Jud Buechler!

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

The well-run Hoopshype alternative
IlovePPierce
MVP

Respect: +14

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 09:46:03 am »

Take Ray Allen away from Boston and they still make the playoffs.
thetravellingpalmer
Starter

Respect: +28

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 09:58:50 am »

could the Spurs make the playoffs without Duncan? sure. but, they wouldn't leave the first round.
bayball
Starter

Respect: 0

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 01:31:47 pm »

Boston could make it without any 1 of the big 3, thats how bad the east is. They would get a slightly above .500 record and make it as a low seed.

YisKobeSoGood
Star

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 02:42:32 pm »

Quote from: "IlovePPierce"

this is true, but you wouldnt have the highest seed. take away pierce and you barely make playoffs.
by the way take away allen and you lose 2 extra games for sure so far. as he has hit two game winners.

"He's the best player in the league , he really is , and i've been saying that since I played with him" -Shaq

Odom is a stud. He is the 2nd best player on the team after Bynum. (kgisbigticket)
ceballos
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 03:10:32 pm »

Quote from: "IlovePPierce"

sure but we talk about the west and what more important taking away tim duncan from the spurs is more equal to taking away kevin garnett from the celtics. would they, the celtics, make the playoffs without kevin garnett? and would this roster make the playoffs without kevin garnett from the west?
tbdog85
Benchwarmer

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 05:52:50 pm »

in the west I am not so sure. In the east yes. Considering the teams that are in lock are

Mavs
Suns
Rockets
Nuggets
Jazz
----
With the following teams fighting for the finals places.

Lakers
Warriors
Clippers
Spurs
Hornets

Of course injuries could changed the whole make up. If kobe was to miss some time, brand as of now and baron misses 20 games then yeh the spurs should make it. And lets not forget about the blazers with a healthy Oden. I dont know, it would be a steep mountain to climb.

Remember when Robinson was injured in 96, along with i think it was elliot and maybe johnson. The spurs were the 2nd worse side.. Would that spurs team with elliot and Johnson get to the playoffs? I wouldnt think so.

Also Like to note that the suns, mavs would make the playoffs without nash or dirk. Both sides are deep maybe even deeper than the spurs is some ways.

But finally any team that loses their star would need serious luck for them to get to the playoffs. They would need other teams gettign short team injuries for them to get over the hump.
MoAlmond
a.k.a. kevindurant
Starter

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 06:11:14 pm »

rockets aren't a lock for the playoffs
they got rid of JVG, not because JVG was doing anything wrong but because they needed a "fresh start" after the first round bounce
but nothing has actually changed, I see the entire team getting frustrated and becoming one big giant locker room cancer

anyway, In 96 you needed a solid 1-5 to win consistently at any time
now, you can get into the second round without much

Spurs could probably get into the playoffs without duncan... but I think that means more to you than it should

and dallas would be fine without dirk, how many playoffs games has he disappeared from and jason terry picked up the slack at a high %

t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 02:06:35 am »

the only way the rockets don't make the playoffs is if either yao or tmac are traded by the deadline

Happiness1982
MVP

Respect: +1

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 08:31:45 am »

Disagree. They could easily miss out if Mac or Ming sit out for a while, which is clearly a possibility.

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

The well-run Hoopshype alternative
themadkiwi
MVP

Respect: +17

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 01:01:24 pm »

The way the Jazz are playing, they're not a lock for the playoffs either.

I would be surprised if San Antonio, Phoenix, Dallas, L.A. Lakers, New Orleans and Denver miss the playoffs. That leaves two spots for teams such as Houston, Utah, Golden State and even Portland to contend for.

More than likely they'll both make it, but I would say it's far from a certainty.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: