Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pietrus  (Read 5259 times)
cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« on: August 24, 2006, 09:42:25 pm »

Yoo last few times I have asked about a player on other forums i got NOTHING so plz sum people just respond. I like Mickael Pietrus game alot wondering what you guys think, he is 24 so he has huge upside yeah??

Soon....
oaktownwarriors87
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 01:43:29 am »

You won’t find a guard more athletic than Mickael Pietrus. Not only that, he plays with a lot of heart on the defensive end.  He needs to be guarding point guards and shooting guards, not small forwards(He was really miss used this year). This guy has shut down players like Kobe Bryant for crying out loud! He's an ok rebounded, 5 a game given starter minutes and he's capable of 15+ points a game given starter minutes.

ESPN had an insider article heading in to his second season. 9 coaches said he was the best defender in the NBA and many said they have never seen a player with his size and athleticism before. Jerry West tried to trade up in the draft to get Pietrus, and after the Warriors drafted him he told Pietrus "see you in 4 years".

He still has all the room in the world to improve. To bad the Warriors couldn't get him starter minutes at the 2 guard. If I was the GM I would be shopping Richardson and Diogu for a good big man so I could move Pietrus to shooting guard.

Dunleavy-Ellis-Pietrus-Diogu-Biedrins
Tiger
Undrafted

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 12:07:50 pm »

oaktownwarriors87, well said.

I Luv HOOPS
turk
Star

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 01:37:08 pm »

I agree with you guys wholeheartedly. The only thing about Pietrus that I noticed last year was that he seemed to want to focus more on offense rather than defense like he did his first year, which is his forte. I would also like to see him have a chance  as a starter and hope that they a find a way to make it happen,  even if it means trading some of their better players to do it.

--turk--
tpodst
Undrafted

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 03:51:00 pm »

Pietrus is great player, he has AllStar potential, but he is also very unconsistent.

Perheps that will come along with more playing time...
kwolffsc
Starter

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 06:56:43 pm »

I see nothing but good things from pietrus! He is a defensive dynamo and with enough minutes could help this team alot!

t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 03:07:00 am »

Quote from: "kwolffsc"
I see nothing but good things from pietrus! He is a defensive dynamo and with enough minutes could help this team alot!

he's also pretty explosive offensively

GSWfaithful
Journeyman

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 11:10:15 am »

I'm not sure many of you have seen this guy play very much. I watch almost every warrior game and its plain to see the guy has all the athletic ability in the world but lacks any feel for the game. He can't pass can't dribble and like most athletic freaks these days shoots way too many 3's. If you're ever unfortunate enough to watch peitrus run a fast break you'll see exactly what I mean. Trading J-Rich so peitrus can get more PT? OK Isiah
turk
Star

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 11:34:17 am »

Quote from: "GSWfaithful"
I'm not sure many of you have seen this guy play very much. I watch almost every warrior game and its plain to see the guy has all the athletic ability in the world but lacks any feel for the game. He can't pass can't dribble and like most athletic freaks these days shoots way too many 3's. If you're ever unfortunate enough to watch peitrus run a fast break you'll see exactly what I mean. Trading J-Rich so peitrus can get more PT? OK Isiah

The reason for trading J-Rich is that the Warriors have enough shooters with their present squad and the assumption would be that J-Rich would bring them another one. Taking all this into consideration they would be better of with a shut down defensive player at the 2 (they got killed by many of the skilled 2's last year if you remember) which Pietrus could potentially be (maybe Nelson could get him to focus more on defense again). Even without J-Rich at present you have Baron, Murphy or Diogu and presumably whoever they obtained in trade. Pietrus could still score 15-20 a game  (if he's playing 35-40) on fast breaks, an occasional drive (which he's very good at) and if he could learn how to shoot more consistently on open jumpers (not to mention increased rebounds, assists and steals). He just needs to cut back on his threes a liittle and learn to be more under control. Nelson should be able to work on this. The Warriors are going to have to make a decision on Pietrus sooner or later and if the decide to keep him I don't think that it makes sense to keep Richardson as well not with what they are committed to pauying him and what they will have to pay Pietrus in order to keep him after this season. I think that it is inevitable that they will have to decide on which one they are going to keep at some point and some point fairly soon.

--turk--
GSWfaithful
Journeyman

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »

First off Don Nelson has never asked anyone to focus on defense in HIS LIFE so I doubt he could get peitrus to reclaim his title of "defensive stopper". Second J-rich is the only reliable scorrer on the team, b-davis is always hurt, murphy is only 15 ppg, who else is giving you that scoring. Third you're asking peitrus to improve on EVERYTHING!. shooting, handle, defense, shot selection, rebounding. If you question all these areas of his game why do you love this guy so much. Are you related to the guy? It sounds like j-rich is exactly what you want peitrus to be so why not keep j-rich instead of hoping for the best with an unprovn peitrus?
turk
Star

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 01:41:38 pm »

Might as well just get rid of Pietrus right now then. And as far ever being able to stop any of the other great 2s in the league (and there certainly are many of them) you can forget it. I guess Dunleavy can't shoot and neither can Ike. You win championships with defense but I guess that's not the Warriors plan right now. All they want to do is get to the playoffs again and get knocked out in the first round like they did when he coached them before. And by the way, I'm not just talking about the Webber incident, I'm talking about before that when he first took over, when he came in supposedly as GM to and promised the coach at the time that he didn't want to coach who by the way trusted him. It was that coach who had just led them into second round of the playoffs where they got beat by Magic's Showtime Lakers who they took to 6 games (the last time they got that far). The next year he fired the coach who was supposed to be "his friend" and took over and they've never done anything beyond the first round since. The coach that he fired, George Karl who turned out to be pretty. He then dismantled the team (got rid of the center who played great in that playoff since he never liked playing with big men) and they never really recovered until finally he put together that great team but then proceeded to screw that up because his ego was bigger than Webber's. Imagine having an ego bigger than Chris Webber's? Almost seems to be impossible. Yeah, now he's probably going to get them into the playoffs. So what, they should have been in the playoffs last year and now they're going to be better with the additional size and hopefully Baron at full strength. I think there's a lot of coaches out there who could get them to the playoffs this year including a few of their assistants which they have now (Elie and Smart). You do not need an overpaid, over the hill, phyically handicapped,  ego manaic to lead them to the first round of the playoffs. The coaching problem was palin and simple, Monty was not an NBA caliber coach at this juncture (although I think he may have become one at the Warriors expense while he was learning). I think that Nelson was a big mistake and they could have gotten someone to replace Monty for much less money and who would probably be able to relate to the players much better (especially someone like Elie for instance). You'll probably make the playoffs this year but at what expense? I'm more worried about the Warriors future than the Warriors present with Nellie at the helm and by the way, I'd watch my back if I were Mullie.

--turk--
turk
Star

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 01:52:58 pm »

Might as well just get rid of Pietrus right now then. And as far ever being able to stop any of the other great 2s in the league (and there certainly are many of them) you can forget it. I guess Dunleavy can't shoot and neither can Ike. You win championships with defense but I guess that's not the Warriors plan right now. All they want to do is get to the playoffs again and get knocked out in the first round like they did when he coached them before. And by the way, I'm not just talking about the Webber incident, I'm talking about before that when he first took over, when he came in supposedly as GM and promised the coach at the time (who trusted him) that he wasn't interested in coaching. It was that coach who had just led them into the second round of the playoffs where they got beat by Magic's Showtime Lakers who they took to 6 games (the last time they got that far). The next year he fired the coach who was supposed to be "his friend" and took over and they've never done anything beyond the first round since. The coach that he fired, George Karl, who had done a great job wit hthe Warriors that year, wound up having a pretty good career I might add. Nelson then dismantled the team (got rid of the center who played great in that playoff since he never liked playing with big men) and they never recovered until finally he put together that great team but then proceeded to screw that up because his ego was bigger than Webber's. Imagine having an ego bigger than Chris Webber's? Almost seems to be impossible doesn't it? Yeah, now he's probably going to get them into the playoffs. So what, they should have been in the playoffs last year and now they're going to be better with the additional size and hopefully Baron at full strength. I think there's a lot of coaches out there who could get them to the playoffs this year including a few of their assistants which they have now (Elie and Smart). You do not need an overpaid, over the hill, physically handicapped,  ego manaic just to lead them to the first round of the playoffs (you almost make it seem like it's the promised land). The coaching problem was plain and simple, Monty was not an NBA caliber coach at this juncture (although I think he may have become one at the Warriors expense while he was learning). I believe that Nelson was a big mistake and they could have gotten someone to replace Monty for much less money and who would probably be able to relate to the players much better (especially someone like Elie for instance). You'll probably make the playoffs this year but at what expense? I'm more worried about the Warriors future now than the Warriors present with Nellie at the helm and by the way, I'd watch my back if I were Mullin.

Obviously a lot of this opinion based, but flat out and plain and simple, I do not like the guy and I feel bad for the Warriors and the Warriors fans. They were this close in my opinion.

--turk--
lungi101
Journeyman

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 10:10:27 am »

pietrus should be locked up by the warriers for the MLE. He puts good enough numbers to command that in the open market. They should also try to extend Montey Ellis to a 3 year 7 mill deal - cuz he will expload this year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: