Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAL-NY(1 step back, 2 steps forward)Laker fans, dont kill me  (Read 2204 times)
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« on: January 19, 2008, 12:58:43 pm »

Well alright.  I kind of touched on this the other day.  I didn't explain it so much, but I'll do my best here.  Bear with me.  

This deal is based on Chris Webber shunning us and also hinging on our ability to truely compete with "Lamar Odom".  It's also a HUGE gamble, so Laker fans... try not to kill me and see this for what it is.  1 step back, to take 2 steps forward, and a dismissal of Kwame... maybe for only a brief period (which should bring about a smile).   Hopefully Bynum comes back in tip top, but this deal is based on worst-case scenario.  Why?  Because it just is!  lol, Now back to the deal.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

L.A. receives- Marbury's fat contract, David Lee, 2008 2nd round pick

N.Y. receives- Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=981~617~2772~509&teams=18~18~13~13&te=&cash=13:18

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L.A.

Like I mentioned earlier, this is a gamble.  I'm banking on Bynum becoming a force next season as our #2 option on offense and the improvement of our young players (ex. Ariza, Farmar, Vujacic, Critt)

Why do the Knicks give us Lee?  Umm, because we take Marbury's fat contract + 365 days of brain anorisms away. lol  Just like they didn't want to really give Frye up, they couldn't say no to a team willing to take their headache in Francis.  They won't be able to say no to us taking Marbury away, either.

... and by no means are we going to ever even see Marbury's face in L.A.  Immediate buy out is my motive here, a la Francis/Portland.  Picking up cap room for the Free Angency period after the '09 season.  Our aim?  Shawn Marion.  His hustle/defense/aerial attack will be much appreciated here, as he's not appreciated in PHX.  He also won't have to battle with Duncan/Dwight/Yao/Amare.  That's Bynum/Kwame(will explain)/Lee/Ronny's role.

Kobe's not gonna be excited to see Odom go, but with Kobe and Marion being close friends... i'm hoping that they can talk and come together for a partnership after Marion becomes a free agent.  Gambling, once again because Kobe can opt out of his contract in the same year that Marion becomes a free agent.  Hopefully a Marion signing can convince Bryant to stay with our young, talented team.

Kwame is exiled, finally, but we'd have a hole to fill @ back up center... especially if Mihm can't get back to form.  So maybe we go after Kwame this summer and bring him back.  4 to 5 mill for a 2/3 seasons spent on him, just to give us some added depth behind Bynum.

The Knicks 2008 2nd round pick could be a good one for us, because this draft is damn deep, so think of it as a little present to us for taking on Marbury's contract for a year and a half.

'08-'09 lineup :  
c- Bynum
pf- Lee
sf- Ariza
sg- Kobe
pg- Fish

bench:
Farmar
Critt
Luke
Ronny
Sasha
Vlad
Mihm
Kwame
2008 1st rounder
one of the two 2008 2nd rounders getting the last spot

'09-2010 line up:
c- Bynum
pf- Lee
sf- Marion
sg- Kobe
pg- Farmar

bench:
Ariza
Fisher
Critt
Luke
Vlad
Sasha
Ronny
Kwame
2008 1st rounder
2009 1st rounder

The '08-09 line up takes a step back in "proven talent" because we move Odom, but there's still talent on that roster.  They've proven themselves this year to be capable.  Can Lee give us what Odom does in rebounds... heck yes.  Will we have to find more offense to replace Odom's?  Yes, but not much.  We know what Odom is and he's not consistent offense... inconsistent on defense, too.  Enter Shawn Marion in 2009-'10.  More rebounding and better defense.  Kobe will never have to guard the opposing team's best swingman with Marion and Ariza.  Unless of course Kobe wants the challenge, which he probably will.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

N.Y.

Knicks get a piece that can truely retire there + contribute... in bringing home Queens-native Odom.  Somebody who can definately play with say... Ron Artest... should they acquire him.  Odom and Artest grew up in Queens together.  Getting Odom also gives them leverage to move Zach Randolph.  Maybe Zach Randolph and Randolph Morris to Memphis for Gasol and J.C. Navarro?  Then jump on Telfair after the season. Gasol on broadway?  

c- Gasol
pf- Odom
sf- Artest (FA)
sg-Crawford
pg- Telfair

6th man- Curry/J.C. Navarro?

Or maybe they send Zach Randolph home to Indiana for two NY- natives in Jamaal Tinsley and Troy Murphy and just make it a family affair @ the Garden.  A roster full of hometown kids.  lets see...

c-Curry
pf- Odom
sf- Artest (in Free Agency)
sg-Crawford
pg-Tinsley

6th man- Murphy?

... or maybe J.O'neal and Tinsley head to NY for Indiana kids Zach Randolph and Jared Jeffries + Kwame:

c- J.O'neal
pf- Odom
sf- Artest (in Free Agency)
sg- Crawford
pg-Tinsley

6th man-Curry?

all of these deals work via the trade machine, but thats a whole other trade thread, i'd guess. lol

Whatever it may be... they also get Kwame's expiring contract to pair with Fred Jones' expiring deal if they just want to stand pat(another possibility).  Together totaling about 12million they'll be waving goodbye to, along with the sending away of Marbury.

Pretty long solution for two of the marquee franchises.  What do you all think?  I'm almost 100% sure they do anything that involves getting Marbury outta there.

Fair enough.
Fair enough..probably the 2nd ugliest season I've ever seen from the Ravens.
Flacco kind of is a bum..Yeah I get that he isn't that good..
fawaz24
Starter

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 01:33:35 pm »

well put but will never ever happen...

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 01:34:34 pm »

Too far-fetched. And this kind of a deal never happens when a winning team is included.

And I bet Buss would like paying Odom for his play, rather than paying Starbury for going away (rhyme, lol).

I think you should pay more attention to THIS season. You're near the top of the west for christ's sake. Planning 3 years in advance for more than one team (like that Gasol/Artest thing on NY) has no future, lol.

Yeah, we trade him now, get that guy next year, and they get that guy in return, only if he signs with us for the MLE, and then that team can trade this and this (whom they obtain from others) for this guy and...

...no. Just stop.
baaf
Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 01:47:31 pm »

put here NYK's 1st rounder of 2008 or the 08 and 09 1st's and i say yes...

marbury is done for the season, and he will not play more than 15 mins next year if he stays there.. u basicly trade kwame and odom for LEE  :roll:

if they say no to that then they pass on the trade of their life, u cant say no for a 28 year old allstar caliber player AND 9 mil expiring contract for a young prospect.

if the lakers dont get a 1st rounder or a couple of them it will be the trade that will fire mitch's @ss.

oh and the picks wont be protected for NYK!

and the big Q remains, will kobe wait after odom is gone?? cuz if this trade happens we just give up this year's playoff!

and one more thing, marion can opt out after THIS SEASON. so the lakers can immediatly sign him, but dont u think that we can bring better players over here when u can give the max?? we can get ELTON BRAND,loul deng,josh smith, okafor, baron davis, AI, AI2, ARENAS    :roll:

we can get anyone of those guys (maybe AI  and AI are a bit outta reach) after THIS SEASON.

sig by trixx
Happiness1982
MVP

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 02:31:27 pm »

No you cant you dont have the money, that's what Royalty's trade is talking about; it's not odom and brown for lee, its for contracts. blimey!

It's interesting. My thought:

NY fans may actually kill thomas if he trades Lee and Odom doesnt fit in, which with the ball-hogs in NY he might not.

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

The well-run Hoopshype alternative
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 04:52:16 pm »

Well, you gotta look @ it this way.  Lee's not playing as much as he should in NY, anyway.  That was my reason for targeting him.  Some Knicks fans i've talked to would rather see him move on and play balls to the wall, rather than to be caught up in the whole "who's starting" nonsense between Curry and Randolph.  

Sounds like a lot to give up for a deal too far in the future, but where I think a lot of my guys are passing on this is the idea of giving up Odom and actually getting better.  

I feel like we can replace Odom's offense(its inconsistent anyhow) and Lee can definately replace him on the glass.  I think we have to stop thinking of Odom as "Kobe's Pippen" or running mate/#2 option.  Odom doesn't play D like Pippen, while Marion does(when he's not unfavorably matched up with a 7 footer).

Bynum is this team's #2 option on offense.  Odom is better in a shared #3 option role with Fisher, where he can focus on rebounding and defense.

... and I have to admit that it would be rather silly for us to do it right now, being that we're in a hell of a race.  This is probably as close as the West has been in 5-6 years.  Kobe would probably say "seeee!"

also have to admit that i'm jealous of the Trail Blazers and how they tricked the Knicks into going that route. lol, Why cant we all have some fun with Isaiah!?

Fair enough.
Fair enough..probably the 2nd ugliest season I've ever seen from the Ravens.
Flacco kind of is a bum..Yeah I get that he isn't that good..
baaf
Starter

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 09:58:40 am »

Quote from: "Happiness1982"
No you cant you dont have the money, that's what Royalty's trade is talking about; it's not odom and brown for lee, its for contracts. blimey!

It's interesting. My thought:

NY fans may actually kill thomas if he trades Lee and Odom doesnt fit in, which with the ball-hogs in NY he might not.

i meant that if we do this trade we can get those guys.. we will be 10 mil under the cap if we buyout marbury

sig by trixx
Happiness1982
MVP

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 12:31:14 pm »

How does that work mate? a) a buy-out rarely includes a change of contract length, ergo it'll be on the books for another year anyway and b) none of those guys you list will take 10mil.

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

baaf
Starter

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 01:40:35 pm »

How does that work mate? a) a buy-out rarely includes a change of contract length, ergo it'll be on the books for another year anyway and b) none of those guys you list will take 10mil.

if you buy-out a contract u can buy it out entirely or cut its value over few years, here im talking about the whole contract buyout..

and i have searched about signing free agents when the team is under the cap but couldnt find anything, so i'll go with what u said of giving them 10 mil in the first year but dont forget that u can sign players with annual increase of 120% so its not 10 mil for X number of years...

but still, its gonna be hard to "steal" them.

sig by trixx
sunsfan99
Undrafted

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 01:56:19 pm »

you got to much time on your hands maybe you need a job or a girlfriend???

Offense wins Championships...But I heard we got Shaq now so old wins championships.
-Mike D'antoni
Happiness1982
MVP

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 02:07:04 pm »

Quote from: "baaf"

if you buy-out a contract u can buy it out entirely or cut its value over few years, here im talking about the whole contract buyout..

and i have searched about signing free agents when the team is under the cap but couldnt find anything, so i'll go with what u said of giving them 10 mil in the first year but dont forget that u can sign players with annual increase of 120% so its not 10 mil for X number of years...

but still, its gonna be hard to "steal" them.

the new cba allows for modification of contract length but this hardly ever happens. a buy-out is a financial thing, not a contract thing. to the nba, marbury would still be in a 20mil contract in 09.

let me give you an example: philly bought out webber last year but his contract for this year remains. they won't pay that amount, but it is still counting against the cap, which is why philly is currently over the cap not under. feel me?

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

dans1230
Starter

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 07:56:42 pm »

i know the knicks are a proud franchise with rich tradition, but i think its time for them to rebuild with quality people. bringing in punks like odom, artest, and telfair wont do anything but put those guys on a huge stage, in front of countless celebrities, to act like punks. david lee is a quality guy, and a good player whom they need to keep. i watched them play the c's today, and they are a joke. they have to be the most out of shape team in the league. curry, randolph, richardson, and james looked like they came from a hot wing eating contest. dump isiah, try to rid themselves of everyone except lee, balkman, robinson, and crawford(who should be a 6th man cuz he cant play any d) and fill in with "quality people" and rebuild via the draft. thats what the c's did and look at them now. they got kg and ray allen with draft picks. la is on or near the top of the west. losing bynum his a huge unfortunate event, but they have a few quality young guys they can trade for role players to surround kobe, odom, and bynum.

its a bar fight man....a bar fight, a bar fight, a bar fight, a bar fight, a bar fight, a far bight, a far bight, a far bight
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: