Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kobe's Protege/ Ariza's Replacement... Go Gettem Mitch!  (Read 2557 times)
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« on: January 26, 2008, 10:17:14 pm »

First, I just wanna start out by saying... many of these trades I see aren't realistic being that All Star caliber players are moved within the same conference @ about a once every ten years rate.  Even I threw a few out  that were no-go's because of this.  Bored I guess and it does cut down your choices in creating trades, but yada yada yada... they're unrealistic.

ex. Marion to Lakers = a no no ( the Lakers/Suns are rivals... its not happenin captain)

ex. Artest to Lakers = a no no (Maloofs will not aid the Lakers under any circumstance... that means even 3 team or 4 team trades are not poppin)

ex. Maggette to Lakers = no sir (Maggette's an All Star caliber forward this season and the Clips just aren't gonna help us... even though they dont care about winning & they clearly need to get something for him because he's as good as gone this summer.)

Why does this happen?  GM's just rather not help teams in the same conference by sending them an all-star talent no matter the young talent/vets they get in return.  It's a "waving of the white flag" so to speak and that leads to certain "GM-death".  Not to mention, in-conference GMs/teams are going to most certainly attempt to rip them off because they don't want to aid in conference teams, as well.  It's a cycle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------

L.A. - Minny

Now, lets get down to business.  If you look @ the moves Mitch has made for the Lakers... they aren't big splash trades/moves.  Most of us knew the Lakers were going to take Critt, but we didn't really have an idea of his game and never even really heard of him until the draft was around the corner.  We questioned Ariza's acquisition because Kupchak was breaking up a bench-mob that was rolling.  We also questioned the non-moves involving Bynum/Farmar.  I'm all for Kupchak looking to add Gerald Green for some scoring punch as a potential second option ahead of Odom... just until Bynum is back.

You can't really fault Minny for choosing to go with Brewer over Green.  Brewer has championship/college/winning experience.  He's unselfish and does what it takes.  Not to say that Green can't, but Gerald doesn't have "winning" experience.  What Green has to do is work extremely hard.  I mean accelerate his work ethic by leaps and bounds.  Who better to take him under his wing than Kobe?  A fellow preps to pros, extremely talented guy.  Green needs somebody he can look up to and use as a visual aid, as far as seeing the result of hard work.  Kobe is that.

Green needs to join a team thats in a winning situation.  Sitting on the bench for a last place team is not going to help his development one bit.  He has to learn what winning basketball is... he has the talent, but never learned this in college.  Playing, or sitting rather, for mediocre NBA teams with weak coaching staffs is not going to help him.   Lakers have the coaches to get him on the right track.  Our staff is the best @ developing youth and Kobe is perfect guy to mentor him.  Green and Bryant had similar skill-set/raw talent as high school players.

With that said, we gotta discuss Green's ability.  He averaged 5 points for the C's in his rookie season, and 10 points in his sophomore season.  These were years with the mediocre Celtics, true, but it was production/development nonetheless.  He has the range and athleticism of a guy like J.R. Smith.  Also like J.R., he needs direction.  He can also create his own shot off the bounce, and crash the offensive glass with authority.  Green has enough range and shoots a good enough 3pt%(37% career 3pt shooter) to nail the open 3's that will come with playing alongside Kobe.  After he gets comfortable in the offense, I see him as a better scoring threat than Odom because of his shooting touch and ability to finish with authority, above the rim.

Would Green's acquisition result in Walton's immediate benching?  Probably, probably not.  Depends on the situation/matchups.  Know this... the competition between Luke, Ariza, Green, Radman, Sasha, Odom @ the 3 spot would be extremely healthy.  Just think about what Critt's drafting did for Farmar.  Farmar is as improved as any PG in the league.  It would serve notice, " lets go Luke, Ariza, Radman".

I think Kupchak should toss our 1st round pick @ Minny for Green because I view him as being more valuable than anybody we'd end up picking in the draft and we have enough youth on the Laker squad, anyway.  Problem is, we've got the max- 15 under contract already, so I say send Coby Karl & 2008 1st rounder for Green.  Lakers dont need another 1st round pick, as mentioned before, we're young enough as it is.  No, we don't need a big man either.  We've got Marc Gasol coming over next season and he's putting together a strong season over in Spain.  Gerald Green would just be our "1st rounder" so to speak.  He's 21 years old and better than anybody we'll be able to get between picks 20 & 30, anyway.

As far as Green being a free agent and "why can we just wait till the off season, instead of giving our 1st round pick?"  Well, we need help @ Ariza's spot immediately and Green can score the ball.  We may finally be able to get off Odom's back about scoring with Green filling in @ the SF.  God knows we can't rely on Radman when he finally comes back.  Vlad's here today and gone tomorrow.

rotation for the 7 week span:

c-  Kwame/Mihm/D.J.
pf- Odom/Ronny/Luke/Vlad
sf- Green/Luke/Vlad
sg- KB/Sasha/Green/Critt
pg- Fish/Farmar/Critt/Sasha

rotation when Bynum/Ariza return:

c- Bynum/Kwame/Mihm/D.J.
pf- Odom/Ronny/Luke/Vlad
sf-  Ariza/Luke/Green/Vlad
sg- KB/Green/Sasha/Critt
pg- Fish/Farmar/Critt/Sasha

The Celtics stole Garnett from us over the summer.  I think its only fair that we take the Green One that the Celtics drafted and develope him under Kobe.  Go get'em Mitch, get the talent!Vengence :!:

Fair enough.
Fair enough..probably the 2nd ugliest season I've ever seen from the Ravens.
Flacco kind of is a bum..Yeah I get that he isn't that good..
Bradleiu
Star

I have no life

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 11:15:58 pm »

why throw a first at minny for him?Im pretty sure his rookie contract expires at the end of this season-I think Minny didnt activate the 4th year of his deal. You guys would have a high chance of signing him because a player like that could be easily enticed by LA. He could probably be had for less than the mid level
bladefd
Benchwarmer

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:45:36 pm »

Why would minnisota trade with us? It makes no sense at all. We offered them both Bynum and Odom for KG and some other guy from them but that didn't go anywhere. I don't see them agreeing to any trade with us after that. Bynum/Odom was PLENTY for KG..
Bradleiu
Star

I have no life

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 02:39:32 am »

not at the time of the proposition it wasnt
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 03:23:09 am »

Quote from: "Bradleiu"
why throw a first at minny for him?Im pretty sure his rookie contract expires at the end of this season-I think Minny didnt activate the 4th year of his deal. You guys would have a high chance of signing him because a player like that could be easily enticed by LA. He could probably be had for less than the mid level

... because we need him to replace Ariza right now and a 1st rounder means jack to an already young Lakers squad.

Fair enough.
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 03:30:15 am »

Quote from: "bladefd"
Why would minnisota trade with us? It makes no sense at all. We offered them both Bynum and Odom for KG and some other guy from them but that didn't go anywhere. I don't see them agreeing to any trade with us after that. Bynum/Odom was PLENTY for KG..

... because Minny currently has 7 expiring contracts on their roster.  they need draft picks, preferably 1st round picks to take advantage of a deep draft and fill their roster.  no way they turn down a chance @ adding cheap talent.

Fair enough.
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 06:16:45 am »

I'd do it! I mean, Royalty's reasoning is very good here and I also think we're getting PLENTY for Gerald Green. Who would LAL take with that pick anyhow? A good big-man like Hasheem Thabeet? They already have Bynum and Marc Gasol coming over, as mentioned.

A perimeter player? They're STACKED with those. So basically, if LAL needs improvement, it's tardes, not draft.

Minny needs that ~22-26th pick to get a center like Thabeet.

And we certainly don't need Green. Cool

Just one quirk...Coby Karl. Meh, we've got a ton of guardalike people. Plus, it won't work in the trademachine. Wink Coby earns only 420k.

We'd need Sasha (I'm not even including Farmar or Crittenton lol).
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 07:31:36 am »

so you want Sasha's 1.7 million dollar value + our 1st rounder's 1 million dollar value for G.Green's 1.4 mill value?  lol, nice try.

no... you get Karl's 420K and the 1 million value of our 1st rounder.  lucky to get a 1st rounder and fill your roster out in the first place.

lol @ not including Farmar and Critt.  you're damn right, you aren't... because we aren't. :lol:  always lookin to screw, czar.  you'd make a better GM than Mchale :wink:

Fair enough.
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 08:47:38 am »

I'm just saying it won't work under the rules of CBA.

Unless the 1st rounder equals 1 million? Never heard of that. If it does, I'm more than happy to take Coby Karl.
Happiness1982
MVP

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 08:58:01 am »

1st rounders do have values attributed to them but only after their rank is assigned as far as im aware.

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

The well-run Hoopshype alternative
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 09:02:38 am »

Quote from: "Happiness1982"
1st rounders do have values attributed to them but only after their rank is assigned as far as im aware.

Ah, then it's the starting salary.

Morris ALmond was taken with the 23rd pick (around where Lakers will get theirs) so I guess ~1 million is correct.

But you'd have to wait until the lottery. And Green is gone by then. But maybe NBA wopuld be eprsudaded to approve the deal, while counting Karl's salary + upcoming draft 30th pick salary. Should be enough to make up for Green's 1.4 mill.
Happiness1982
MVP

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 09:10:06 am »

Indeed, you will know (approximately) what the value is prior to the lottery but it won't be assigned, and thus have a monetary trade value, until afterwards.

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

The well-run Hoopshype alternative
Josh
MVP

everything is just a headache

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 09:52:52 am »

Quote from: "Happiness1982"
Indeed, you will know (approximately) what the value is prior to the lottery but it won't be assigned, and thus have a monetary trade value, until afterwards.
 yeah, that sounds right.
as to the trade itself, I'm pretty certain the wolves happily ship you their brooding, disgruntled, petulant child.
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 11:15:19 am »

I've already sent out the Kupchak "Bat Signal".  This thing had to get underway, yesterday.  We know how long Mchale can drag trade talks.  G.Green needs to fly the friendly N.O. skies in purple.  He broke out the Dee Brown Celtics throwback jersey last year in Sin City.  Time to break out the Crazy 8 Lakers throwback in the Big Easy.

Fair enough.
baaf
Starter

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 11:30:27 am »

Quote from: "Laker Royalty"
I've already sent out the Kupchak "Bat Signal".  This thing had to get underway, yesterday.  We know how long Mchale can drag trade talks.  G.Green needs to fly the friendly N.O. skies in purple.  He broke out the Dee Brown Celtics throwback jersey last year in Sin City.  Time to break out the Crazy 8 Lakers throwback in the Big Easy.

yeah he will do the between the legs from the left side  :wink:

man with the ideas gay is getting at youtube he will have all of his dunks gettinng 50's

sig by trixx
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: