Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW TO WIN WITH IVERSON  (Read 9627 times)
tpodst
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« on: August 30, 2006, 12:41:27 pm »

After a decade it has become clear that you can not just put the ball in the AI hends and expect to win a championship.

Iverson is a great scorer, a real fighter, a true warior. But his FG % is low and with him around 76ers are not playing good team basketball.

So what to do?

Trading him at his prime is not an option because:
- he is an All Star with great MARKET VALUE,
- he become a part of 76ers history, he IS THE FRANCHISE in some way,
- you can not get Le Bron or Wade for him, becoming Szczerbiak + draft pick kind of trade is no answer Smiley,
- rebuilding and counting on room on salary cap and  free agents is too risky (remember Chicago after Jordan or Boston after Parish or Lakers after Magic).

So we are stuck with AI, right. And we must build a champsteam around him.
My Q is how?
I hope you will sent some sugestions!
tpodst
Undrafted

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 01:19:15 pm »

Here is my:

When you build a team around one player you must try to hide his weakness and  maximise (sorry for spelling - I am from Europe:))  his  strenghts.

In Iverson case we can use the facts that he is a great penetrator (still talking about basketball, don t worry  :lol: ) and good passer.
He is an average distance shooter and has law FG%.

So we need few sharp shooters  from outside around him. Korver is good, but not enaugh! We need another SF and a PF who can really shoot from outside (not the one who think he can like C-Webb). That will take pressure from Allen and make some room in the middle for his penetrations.

Iverson should play with a guard who can play both position, in offense and defense.

Low FG% ? AI must to score less!!! He must to trust his teammate and avarege about 20 ppg + 8 apg !  

And we need a decent center. Not an all star,  but 10 ppg + 8 rpg man, who can finish around the rim.

AI should have ball in the hands less and when he does, he should play some pick&roll and pick&fade with PF, who can score from outside.

So, for example, that would be team I suggest (not neccesary those players but those tipes of players):

C-Dalembert (if he improves a bit)  
PF- Chris Bosh ( if he is keep working on his outside shooting.)
SF- Kyle Corver
SG- Allen Iverson
PG- Brent Berry at his prime

Iguadola ? He has great trade value but is not in my plans!:)
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 10:55:31 pm »

nice as your idea may sound...........................................................................no

lungi101
Journeyman

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 09:41:23 am »

I think there is some merit to the idea. Iverson will not win anything averaging 33+. I would not give up on iguadala though! I see iguadala as one wing and someone like Antonio Daniels as the other. But he is right about having more shooters.
BarrSpin
Undrafted

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 12:48:20 pm »

It's spelt Iguodala

and you don't give him up.

Halfdan The Black
Journeyman

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 10:38:20 pm »

What to do is get him the right support group.  I'd make my focus, if I was Billy King, one good, high FG % scorer to be AI's lieutenant.  After that, I'd be looking for 2 primary skills... DEFENSE AND REBOUNDNG!!!  They had such a team once and went to Game 5 of the NBA Finals.
big bad kahoona
Benchwarmer

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 09:20:26 am »

Surround him with good defensive players, just like Larry Brown did during their finals run.

If i cant dazzle u with brilliance, then ima baffle u with bullshit...
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 01:02:41 pm »

thats an idea, but who?

Journeyman

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 10:02:29 am »

I agree that Iverson needs some real help in offense.

And you can not play too good defense, so I also agree about bringing some defensive hardworkers.

But It depends from AI and his attitude. He must to give more shoots to other players!
JSouth#23
Star

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 10:42:07 am »

Get Iverson another superstar.  Someone in his front court.  Any really good SF, PF, or C would do.  After you get another star who can score 20 any given night, surround them with defensive players and good shooters.  Get the inside out threat going...
legenderypete
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 01:02:04 pm »

They need a good defence, i dont think  another scorer can really work with AI(Look at stackhouse) but a defensive team could.
Something-To-Say
Starter

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 07:52:28 pm »

Quote from: "big bad kahoona"
Surround him with good defensive players, just like Larry Brown did during their finals run.

Exactly. Just some clean up big men, and defensive minded guards that can hit open shots, and contribute a little.

t-mac357
Hall of Famer

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 07:55:06 pm »

Quote from: "JSouth#23"
Get Iverson another superstar.  Someone in his front court.  Any really good SF, PF, or C would do.  After you get another star who can score 20 any given night, surround them with defensive players and good shooters.  Get the inside out threat going...

i agree, next season would be their chance to bid for a star

BarrSpin
Undrafted

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 12:07:05 am »

Quote from: "t-mac357"
Quote from: "JSouth#23"

i agree, next season would be their chance to bid for a star

Another player who can score 20 any night? Isn't that who Chris Webber was supposed to be? He did that, while averaging 10 boards a game last season. Another "superstar" is not what AI needs. He just needs solid defensive and roles players around him, just like Larry Brown did back when they went to the finals like some people have said already in this topic. Thats the only way.

They are trying to rebuild the team to be younger and compete down the line when AI does leave, but they are trying to win now while AI is still here. That just doesn't work, you have to do one or the other. Billy King brought in some good defensive players this year to add to the bench. The young guys are maturing and getting better, so that should help him out a little bit. I will admit though, the Chris Webber and Sammy Dalembert front court just isn't going to cut it if they want to get back to the Finals anytime soon. They do need to get rid one, or even both, of them and get some role players. No one who HAS to score 20 points a game, just play good defense, though it would be nice if they could play D and score 20. They got the scoring covered with AI, Iggy, Korver, and Willie Green. Iggy could very well be the #2 scorer for the team right now, they just need people in the front court to grab rebounds, play defense, and put up a few shots once in a while.

t-mac357
Hall of Famer

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 12:20:12 am »

if its a star who plays defense then why not, also they can trade for the players they need with the signing of a star, and if i was the 76 er's i would take what i could instead of being picky

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Jump to: