Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Spurs acquire Thomas from Sonics for Barry, Elson  (Read 8058 times)
UNIT
Hall of Famer

Respect: +57

« on: February 20, 2008, 06:14:50 pm »

By Johnny Ludden, Yahoo! Sports

The San Antonio Spurs have reached agreement with the SuperSonics that will bring them center Kurt Thomas in exchange for guard Brent Barry, center Francisco Elson and a 2009 first-round draft pick, league sources said Wednesday.

The teams are in the process of finalizing the deal with league officials.

By acquiring Thomas, the Spurs get some needed size to help them counter Phoenix’s Shaquille O’Neal and Houston’s Yao Ming. They also are expected to drop under the luxury-tax threshold, possibly saving them about $2 million. In exchange, San Antonio will send the Sonics a portion of the savings.

While Barry has been sidelined with a calf injury, Ime Udoka has taken his place in the rotation and proven to be a dependable contributor with his defense and 3-point shooting. Elson’s inconsistency limited his role with the Spurs this season.

The Sonics, who also considered an offer from the Orlando Magic for Thomas, have now generated three first-round draft picks from Rashard Lewis’ sign-and-trade deal last summer.
RyanThePorchKid
Starter

Respect: +1

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 06:23:25 pm »

good move by the Spurs. solidifies the front line. Elson and Oberto not cuttin it

MoAlmond
a.k.a. kevindurant
Starter

Respect: 0

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

With the trade completed, San Antonio gets more "Spursier"

anjro
Benchwarmer

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 06:24:03 pm »

Can't say I'm upset with it as a Sonics fan.

Sad to see Thomas go...but it's nice that we got a 3rd 1st rounder via Thomas.  Not too shabby.

If Barry comes back from injury he'll give us another high percentage 3pt shooter since we desperately lack those.  Elson is nice too, he put up pretty good numbers before he went to SAS.  Also even better is they're both expiring contracts.

I was kind of hoping we could get more for Thomas but I'm not disappointed at all with what we'll end up getting.
tong
MVP

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 06:25:21 pm »

now finley and stuff for artest.

steve
MVP

I've grown to hate you all.

Respect: +1110

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 06:25:48 pm »

What does it matter what Seattle got, all that matters is the first rounder, everyone else is expiring after this season, so instead of one expiring contract they now have two of the same value.

Put my existence on this forum against yours.  Toronto makes the playoffs.
Happiness1982
MVP

Respect: +1

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 06:26:46 pm »

Good luck to Thomas. Quality fellow.

In other news, we now have EVERY PICK in the draft. Forget scouting, boys, we're taking everyone!

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

The well-run Hoopshype alternative
anjro
Benchwarmer

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 06:27:20 pm »

If only they were all lottery picks Sad
Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

Respect: +2

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 06:41:29 pm »

splash! they could have done that artest deal

a spurs, knicks, greg oden fan
zunami23
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1312

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 06:50:41 pm »

Good trade for both teams. Seattle improves their chances of getting the first pick. Barry makes some exciting plays so the Spurs got even more boring. Nice little counter move by them to help against Gasol and Shaq.
tbdog85
Benchwarmer

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 07:04:04 pm »

Dont see the spurs getting artest now. Barry and Elson contract ends this year which would of been a selling point. I dont know who else Spurs can offer apart from the big three to get artest. And also realise with barry gone, Manu, Finley are the only key gaurds who will hit it from down time, because damon wont play to much.
Renton
Star

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 07:47:49 pm »

Good trade for both of the teams, especially the Spurs. It wouldn't surprise me that after Tony Parker comes back, and if they finally all stay healthy, we see this team back in the Finals.
oh, and a friend of mine met Elson a couple of weeks ago. He's dutch, she's dutch, and he was very cool to talk to, very relaxed. Happy to be there, but then again, also wanted to get some minutes. Hope he'll get some with the Sonics.

TD27
Starter

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 08:06:50 pm »

Lmao @ the Spurs.

"We're sick and tired of Kurt Thomas handling Tim Duncan on defense, so if we can't beat him, we'll trade for him."

CraftyVet
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 08:26:58 pm »

Good deal for both sides. Thomas is an upgrade over Elson, and Barry was replacable.

Now this seems more like a deal the Spurs would make, not a deal for Artest. Thomas fits the mold in SA to a tee, an old, professional role player.

Renton
Star

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 08:28:21 pm »

to td27':
you can't blame them. But it's the other way around too.

When was the last and only time Kurt Thomas played in the Finals? Yup, with the Knicks in '99. Against the Spurs who won the championship, with Duncan winning the MVP.

Now, all those years later, Thomas is basically still that same guy. Older, but still can get you some boards and solid D. Pretty cool for him too to join a team like this in the winter of his career.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Jump to: