Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Andrea Bargnani  (Read 7262 times)
sixers76_ai3
Journeyman

Respect: 0

« on: June 24, 2006, 09:05:48 am »

In every mock draft I have read, Andrea Bargnani is going in the top 5.  If there are any Europeans in the forums now, could you tell me some good stuff about this guy because I really don't know much about him.  Has he done anything spectacular in his Italian league beside win the championship with Benetton Treviso?  I would really like to know what this guy could do and I think if we (USA) knew, he would definitely get some recognition over here.

http://www.phonesherpa.com/home.aspx?af_id=011B430B8D
Ringtones for cheap-make them yourself-the first one is free!
Make sure you sign up today!!!
sixers76_ai3
Journeyman

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 09:28:37 am »

Also, mention any other up-and-coming international players that will soon be in the NBA.  I have heard of this 7 foot Chinese guy who is really athletic.  His name is Yian Jianlian or something like that.

http://www.phonesherpa.com/home.aspx?af_id=011B430B8D
Ringtones for cheap-make them yourself-the first one is free!
Make sure you sign up today!!!
G-Force
Journeyman

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 11:07:22 am »

I also don't know very much about Bargnani, I just watched him in 1-2 games. He is a great shooter absolutely, and from what I observed, I can say that he is an underrated defender and a shot blocker... He can block shots and he is not a bad rebounder at all. Of course, he would have some problems against the athletic PF's and centers but his offense, footwork are great.
 In next years, there is Marco Bellinelli from Italy. He is a great SG, also can play at PG but absolutely a great scorer... He'll enter draft next year. Rudy Fernandez, Tiago Splitter, Ante Tomic are also great European prospects that can do a lot of good things in Nba...

pachero
Undrafted

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 09:26:08 am »

Hi!

I come from Spain. I've seen little about Bargnani, all I can say is that he has great mobility for a player his size and great first step. His shooting abilities are well known. I think the comparison with Nowitzki can be accurate. Of course, he's a proyect, but he has the tools. Let's see how he adapts to higher speed and forces. Right now he's a poor man's 20 year old Nowitzki.

But I want to make a point about Sergio Rodríguez... he's gonna surprise all of you, remember my words. I watch 4-5 NBA games a week, plus Spanish League, plus Euroleague. I've seen many players go to the NBA... Sergio is different, he's fearless, espectacular moves... you'd think that he may commit fool turnovers, but he doesn't! Forget about some nbadraft profiles!! He is already a great passing PG at a high level at 20 years old.

Greetings from Spain!
frontline-sports.com
Undrafted

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 02:02:54 am »

I hear there is an Australian PG who is very good.  Not sure on the name, but he is around 30 or so..maybe a Sarunas Jasikevicius type of player?  Veteran in their prime maybe wants to get some shine on an NBA squad.

Bargnani will bust..I'm calling it right now  :lol:

For great sports discussion and much more look no further than www.frontline-sports.com
lakerfanryan8
Starter

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 09:20:19 am »

Baragini's stock is sliping he is now projected 3-8!

lakerfanryan8 is on the "Greg Oden will be a bust bandwagon."

frontline-sports.com
Undrafted

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 09:23:01 am »

Good, thats fine that he's slipping as long as it's to an East team.  I want to see him get trampled out here with us.  He isn't strong enough period he gets shoved off the block by smaller players and doesn't seem to have the heart.  If I were a GM I'd pass.

For great sports discussion and much more look no further than www.frontline-sports.com
Josh
MVP

everything is just a headache

Respect: +1556

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 10:29:44 am »

I hear him talked about as a tall small forward, so it's not like he's going to body up shaq right away.

not that I've ever seen him play.  just saying, the lack of strength isn't quite so huge an issue.
The Magician
Undrafted

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 02:17:34 pm »

I'm Italian and so I can tell you many things about Bargnani,because I've seen 25-30 games of the Benetton Treviso this year....
The first thing that I can say about him is:you can't describe him only with his stats in the Italian League or in the Euroleague because in the Benetton he has been only the third offensive option(the first has been Nicholas and the second has been Siskauskas).Despite this,he has been the most important player of Treviso in the Italian Finals and in all the season,with spectacular actions and a great impact not only in offense,where he has shown,as you already know,his great shooting skills and an incredibile footwork for a 7-footer.He has been great in defense,where he has shown that he has been improved in the defense against 4 and 5 and in his rebounding skills.Moreover,he has shown that he can guard smaller players.In the Playoffs,most of time he has changed his man after a pick 'n' roll:in this case his opponents have never scored one point against him!!He has always contained or blocked his man....

In the end,he deserves the first overall pick...probably he won't be the next Dirk Nowitzki,but now he is a good player...and he has the heart,too.
lakerfanryan8
Starter

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 07:24:09 pm »

I don't think he fits in Toronto unless Villanueva ia traded and that is a possibilitie. I doubt he'll go to Chicago. Maybe Charlotte because they'll take anything and evrything

lakerfanryan8 is on the "Greg Oden will be a bust bandwagon."

Gregorious0ne
Undrafted

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 11:25:28 pm »

Yi Jian Lian [ here's some video] A comercial and some game footage

GregoriousOne
Gregorious0ne
Undrafted

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 11:28:19 pm »

Andrea Bargnani [Game footage] Highlights

GregoriousOne
pachero
Undrafted

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 06:10:56 am »

LOL at those Americans who make predictions without knowing the player they are talking about.

I remember foolish people talking about Pau Gasol 5 years ago, some days before the 2001 Draft; they said he was going to be the next Shawn Bradley just because his frame, and saying that he only knew to dunk in a minor european league :lol:

European NBA fans know much more players and how thay can achieve in other leagues than Americans because we are able to see 3 leagues: our country's, Euroleague and NBA (in Spain we are able to see a live game every day, and not only the ones you see in your National TV, TNT, etc, but your Cable games too). Period.

After that, I must say that NBA is the best league in the world, no doubt about it. But this doesn't allow Americans to think they know a player only because they see his photo and a brief nbadraft.net comment that always tend to say that Europeans are weak and don't play defense.

Jorge Garbajosa is going to Toronto Raptors. Remember Sam Perkins? The difference is that Garbajosa likes to bang inside and plays defense. Maybe he's not as tall as the average NBA power forwards, but he can face tha thanks to his high Basketball IQ. The Italian Magician can say that, as Garbajosa played in Benneton some years ago.

Greetings from Spain!!
Norman
Undrafted

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 03:27:44 pm »

I can confirm everything The Magician said. Also, on various American websites Bargnani is listed as 6-11 or 7-0. It is well known that in the US players are measured with shoes on, and often with a bit of generosity: Bargnani was measured 7-0 without shoes: I guess he might well be 7-1 for US standard measurements. He is also heavier than expected (248), and his frame can carry more weight.

Speaking of weaknesses, it is true that he suffers when he is posted up, but people believe he will improve with experience and with additional muscle.
Olimpia Milano
Undrafted

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 08:49:05 am »

Bargnani is a great player, and in the next 3 or 4 years many others very talented players will go to the US:
Marco Bellinelli (next Year Draft), and Danilo Gallinari (1988, last year in Italian "Lega 2" scored 20 pts with austonding averages from 3-point...)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: