Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The 5-Year Plan  (Read 3914 times)
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« on: March 17, 2008, 09:20:21 am »

Since we're not making the playoffs this year I hope Larry is putting some serious thought into some long term solutions to this team's deficiencies. There won't be a quick-fix here that will suddenly make us a top-5 team. Like it or not, Larry & Donnie are going to have to be patient and slowly rebuild this team through the draft and young free agents. It also wouldn't hurt to bring back Larry Brown, who seems to have a knack for turning around struggling franchises.

In the immediate future, I think our most pressing need is a big man. I've said it before - Hibbert is our man. With his size, agility, post moves and outside range, he looks like a young and more polished Rik Smits. Hibbert would take care of our center position for the next 5+ years. He's the most NBA-ready C in the draft.

Nearly every other lottery team has a solid C prospect, except us:
Minnesota - Al Jefferson
Seattle - Sene, Swift, Petro (all developing)
NY - Eddy Curry
Charlotte - Emeka Okafor
LA Clippers - Chris Kaman
Milwaukee - Andrew Bogut
Chicago - Noah, Gray

So that leaves Miami & Memphis, both who have picks too early to use on Hibbert. I'd expect they either take Beasley/Rose/Lopez or trade down.

Within the next few years we're going to have voids at the PG and PF spots. As for O'Neal, he's said before that he wants to retire in Indy. Well that's fine with me, but to do that he'll have to settle for a much smaller contract so we can sign some high quality role-players. Personally I don't see him returning after next year unless he decides to take a huge pay cut. As for Tinsley, I don't think anyone sees him as a long-term solution and I expect he'll have even more competition next season. The only players worth keeping are Dunleavy, Granger & Diener.

There will be many free agents out there that would give us a nice upgrade and depth. Most of these guys are guards, which is another reason I would expect Bird to draft a C in the first round. Then, I hope we're able to get one of the following players:

Chris Duhon (solid defender, good all around PG)
Gerald Green (not a PG, but still a big talent)
Royal Ivey (played well when needed so far)
Beno Udrih (one of the most improved players this year)
Kyle Weaver (senior Washington State)
Sean Singletary (senior Virginia)
Bo McCalebb (senior New Orleans)
miamisolecollector
Starter

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 04:54:05 pm »

If Seattle gets the 3rd pick their most likely taking DeAndre Jordan, the center position is the only position lacking players that can play in Seattle.

Charlotte Bobcats need a Center. If you think Emeke Okafor is going to be the center then the Bobcats have a real problem.

The Bobcats traded for Nazr Mohammed mid-season just trying to get a big body there. The Bobcats have to address the center position as long as no studs fall to them like, Mayo or Gordon.

But if those 2 are not there. Then the Bobcats will surely take Roy Hibbert, a center with great height (7'2") and has good offensive skills. Hibbert will be the perfect fit to play alongside Emeka Okafor, who plays defense and rebounds.

I dont think that Hibbert will be a good fit with O'Neal, both whom play in the paint, both have good offense (so who is the 1st option down low), both dont play great defense.

If the Pacers are going to trade O'Neal then fine. But if not then Hibbert is not the answer.

The Pacers need a center. They should select Hasheem Thabeet (7'3") who plays defense (4 blk pg) and is improving offensively every game (has been playing basketball for only 5 years). He moves very well up and down the court and with a great PG he will be a stud (ala Tyson Chandler).

Also what would the Pacers want in return for Jamal Tinsley? Now you want to get rid of him so you cant ask for so much-----an expiring or a player that is decent.

As a Miami Heat representative, I'll offer Mark Blount a 7'0" center with range. Do you accept?Huh

UNIT
Hall of Famer

Respect: +57

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 06:33:46 pm »

Quote from: "miamisolecollector"

As a Miami Heat representative, I'll offer Mark Blount a 7'0" center with range. Do you accept?Huh

eew no.
miamisolecollector
Starter

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 07:29:52 pm »

Quote from: "Bball Unit"

eew no.

Then I guess your stuck with Jamal Tinsley for 3 more years.

UNIT
Hall of Famer

Respect: +57

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 09:09:55 pm »

eew no.

5th in the league in assists.. before he got injured we where 5th/6th seed in the east.
Benchwarmer

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:21:37 am »

I don't see how ar raw talent helps this team in any way. How is Thabeet any different from Jeff Foster? He might be a better shot blocker but Foster has considerably more agility and a much better rebounder -- but ever since O'Neal lost the other low post presence (Artest) to take the heat off of him, he hasn't been the same player.

I don't see how a project player  in Thabeet will help this team at all.

Also keep in mind that Brook Lopez  will be drafted before Hibbert, and Seattle has more problems than just the C position. I can't imagine Seattle takes another center while they have 3 projects still developing. Charlotte may need a legit center, but unless Hibbert's stock takes a shot upwards, the Bobcats pick will likely be too early to spend on him.
sportsnut
Starter

Respect: +8

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 06:09:37 pm »

eew no.

5th in the league in assists.. before he got injured we where 5th/6th seed in the east.

marbury is usually always up there in assists too, that doesn't mean he's a good pg.  the fact that you had to use "before he got injured" should already point to one of his biggest flaws.  when will he ever not be injured, if he couldn't stay healthy while he was young, i'm not gonna bet that he can stay healthy now that he's older.

we're not going to win with tinsley at the pg, i don't think JO will opt out because that is a lot of money he'd be giving up.  so we should have a good rotation of bigs going into next season, JO/murphy/foster/ike/danny, so why not take a pg? when like you said it hurts our team when we don't have someone that can run the show.  there are a lot of good pgs in the draft that could still be on the board when we pick (hopefully in the top 10).  bayless, mayo, augustin, maybe even a combo guard like reynolds.  that is if they all declare.
leon
Undrafted

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 08:39:36 pm »

the 5 year plan is dont die

naptown
Star

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 11:28:00 am »

If Seattle gets the 3rd pick their most likely taking DeAndre Jordan, the center position is the only position lacking players that can play in Seattle.

Charlotte Bobcats need a Center. If you think Emeke Okafor is going to be the center then the Bobcats have a real problem.

The Bobcats traded for Nazr Mohammed mid-season just trying to get a big body there. The Bobcats have to address the center position as long as no studs fall to them like, Mayo or Gordon.

But if those 2 are not there. Then the Bobcats will surely take Roy Hibbert, a center with great height (7'2") and has good offensive skills. Hibbert will be the perfect fit to play alongside Emeka Okafor, who plays defense and rebounds.

I dont think that Hibbert will be a good fit with O'Neal, both whom play in the paint, both have good offense (so who is the 1st option down low), both dont play great defense.

If the Pacers are going to trade O'Neal then fine. But if not then Hibbert is not the answer.

The Pacers need a center. They should select Hasheem Thabeet (7'3") who plays defense (4 blk pg) and is improving offensively every game (has been playing basketball for only 5 years). He moves very well up and down the court and with a great PG he will be a stud (ala Tyson Chandler).

Also what would the Pacers want in return for Jamal Tinsley? Now you want to get rid of him so you cant ask for so much-----an expiring or a player that is decent.

y would seattle pick another center? and we better noty get hibbert he's a marshmellow
Benchwarmer

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 08:44:19 pm »

Just wanted to say I'm happy we got Hibbert. Probably one of the most underrated guys in the draft, he'll step in right away.

As of right now, we're looking like:

PG: Ford
SG: Jack
SF: Dunleavy
PF: Granger
C: Hibbert
6th man: Rush

I hope Shawne Williams can get it together -- he could be an impact player with this lineup. I'm not saying we're going to be a top-3 team in the East, but we've got a nice young core group here all close to the same age that will only get better.

And there's not a criminal among them (yet)...
olsons3
Benchwarmer

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 08:15:03 am »

Ford - Jack - Diener
Dunleavey - Rush - Daniels
Granger - Graham - Williams
Murphy - Baston - McRoberts
Foster - Nesterovic - Hibbert

I would like to see them trade Tinsley, along with Williams and or Daniels, and somehow pick up James Jones in free agency.

Boom Baby!!!!
Benchwarmer

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 09:05:45 am »

Quote from: "olsons3"
Ford - Jack - Diener
Dunleavey - Rush - Daniels
Granger - Graham - Williams
Murphy - Baston - McRoberts
Foster - Nesterovic - Hibbert

I would like to see them trade Tinsley, along with Williams and or Daniels, and somehow pick up James Jones in free agency.

I wouldn't. It would only hinder Rush's development. They are very similar players, only Jones would have to be paid more. I think with the addition of Rush & Jack we have more than enough 3-pt shooters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: