Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Official Chicago Cubs Thread  (Read 32393 times)
Dynasty
MVP

Respect: +788

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 06:15:09 pm »

Cubs still don't even have Soriano and Zambrano healthy, so they'll be even scarier than they are right now.  And the Cards get Pujols back this week plus Wainwright, Izturis in a couple of weeks, and Carpenter around August.  And with Milwaukee heating up, this is gonna be a hell of a three-team race in the NL Central.
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

Respect: +180

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 07:14:36 pm »

Cards really haven't missed a beat with Pujols gone, so I think the Cubs will be able to stay above them, Carpenter is the only one I'm worried about, but after all of that surgery it's questionable as to if he'll ever be able to be what he was a couple of years ago.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 09:00:49 pm »

Welcome to Chicago Rich Harden!

1. Zambrano
2. Harden
3. Dempster
4. Lilly

Looks like the playoffs rotation is set (about 85% sure the Cubs will be in the playoffs)

As for the 5 spot, right now probably Marquis, but Marshall could be it, and if he ever finds his control, Rich Hill could also get that spot at some point (since Marshall can't last a whole season).

Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 08:44:53 pm »

Just when I thought the Cubs were starting to fall they look like they're about to win their third in a row against the Brewers and 4th in a row overall, raising their lead to 4 games as well.

Another thing, on a baseball board I actually had to defend Rich Harden. The person, a Cardinals fan, said that Harden's been terrible since joining the Cubs since he doesn't have a win yet and has 1 loss. I basically had to explain to him that Harden has a 1.04 ERA and 30 strikeouts in 3 starts since joining the Cubs. He started throwing out the ERA isn't everything BS, when I basically said that a 1.04 ERA is hard to argue with, then brought up his .92 WHIP. Hopefully that'll shut the moron up.

Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 03:08:35 pm »

The 4 game sweep is complete, and they were finally able to play as well as Harden on a day when he pitched to get him the win. Great to see that.

Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 10:28:33 pm »

I think it's safe to say that the Cubs will be in the playoffs now. 29 over .500 now.

94by50
Star

Respect: +1

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 01:56:54 am »

Rich Harden apparently is required by law to strike out 10 or more every time out.  I actually feel confident that he'll stay healthy from here on out (crosses fingers).  I like the rotation, like the lineup, like the fielding... bullpen's still a bit shaky.

Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 09:25:23 pm »

Howry and Cotts still worry me, but the juice of their bullpen is still very strong. Marmol, Wood, Gaudin, Samardzija, and Marshall are all still reliable bullpen pitchers, and Marquis may be in the bullpen in the postseason as well. Not perfect, but strong enough with a starting rotation like they have.

As for Harden, I know I'm going to sound a bit silly at first, but I think the Cubs got a better deal with the Harden trade than the Brewers got with the Sabathia trade. Sure, Sabathia's thrown a bunch of complete games, but only one of those had him throwing an exceptionally low amount of pitches. The guy's only human and will eventually get worn down, and it will almost surely happen before the postseason ends. Outside of that, since the respective trade of each, Harden's got a better ERA, opponent's batting average, strikeouts per inning pitched, WHIP, and inning for inning has just plain been better. On top of that, the Cubs gave up much less talent in the trade and they also picked up Gaudin, who's been outstanding for them as well and can provide long relief, short relief and even come in and start on occasion if needed.

94by50
Star

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 11:26:58 pm »

I'm very impressed by Samardzija in particular.  He's just the guy we need to bolster the bully for the stretch run.  I wouldn't have expected this of him before the year began.  More of him, less of Howry and Cotts, please.  I'd like to think that playing big games at Notre Dame prepared him for the pressure of October baseball.

Yes, the odd guy out in the rotation should be Marquis.  Z, Harden, Dempster (preferably at home), Lilly.  It's good.

I agree that the Harden deal was better for us than the Sabathia deal was for Milwaukee, long-term.  This year, it kind of depends on if Yost blows out Sabathia's arm before the season's even over.  No way he keeps throwing 130-pitch complete games every time out, is there?  Besides, we own the Brewers.  I'm not worried about them.

I am worried about a rematch with the Snakes.  Seeing Webb-Haren-Johnson back-to-back-to-back gives me the creeps.  On the other hand, I got out to the last game of the series when the Cubs came here, and Arizona's lineup is putrid.  Conor Jackson is legit, Adam Dunn mashes and he walks 120 times a year, but the rest of them are just awful.  Their bullpen is terrible, and their defense is just average.  Worse than average, since they don't have Orlando Hudson.

94by50
Star

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 11:29:31 pm »

Quote from: "Mild Sauce"
The person, a Cardinals fan, said that Harden's been terrible since joining the Cubs since he doesn't have a win yet and has 1 loss. I basically had to explain to him that Harden has a 1.04 ERA and 30 strikeouts in 3 starts since joining the Cubs. He started throwing out the ERA isn't everything BS, when I basically said that a 1.04 ERA is hard to argue with, then brought up his .92 WHIP. Hopefully that'll shut the moron up.

I didn't even see this until now.  Look, I'll normally defend Cardinal fans, even though their team is the Yankees to our Red Sox.  But this guy does know that wins are context-sensitive, right?  He does know about run support and bullpen help, right?  Pitcher wins and losses aren't everything.  I'll take any pitcher with an ERA around 1, thanks.

Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 01:17:29 am »

By now the guy looks like a moron. Sure, they lost today, despite more good starting pitching, but oh well, can't win every one of them. They're still more worried about gettin 100 wins than they are of winning the division.

94by50
Star

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 01:27:17 am »

I've actually heard radio heads imply that the Cardinals are still kinda sorta in the divisional race.  Right.  I just like the fact that they have to go through the Brewers before they can even get to the Cubs.  11 games back with a month to go... good luck with it.

The Phillies are no joke, but I think the Cubs can take them, especially in a long series.

Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 07:00:37 pm »

Yeah, they split the 4 game series, but if you give them a 7 game series I see no reason the Cubs shouldn't win.

Dynasty
MVP

Respect: +788

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 07:46:26 pm »

Quote from: "94by50"
I've actually heard radio heads imply that the Cardinals are still kinda sorta in the divisional race.  Right.  I just like the fact that they have to go through the Brewers before they can even get to the Cubs.  11 games back with a month to go... good luck with it.

The Phillies are no joke, but I think the Cubs can take them, especially in a long series.

As a Redbirds fan, I really don't expect the team to make the playoffs this year.  But as long as they play hard till the end, I see it as a successful season.  They found a lot of positives in the team, Ludwick and Ankiel broke out, Glaus performed better than anybody expected, they have some nice prospects like Colby Rasmus who can hopefully be ready next year, Carpenter will be back for the full season next year, they seem to have a closer of the future in Chris Perez, and Pujols is likely going to win the MVP.  

The only thing that still terrifies me is if Pujols even suffers the slightest tweak in his elbow, he's going to have to have Tommy John surgery and be out for at least a year.
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 11:35:29 pm »

If Pujols wins MVP then I'd love to hear what he has to say considering the whining he did when Howard won the MVP, saying that the MVP should go to a player whose team makes the playoffs.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Jump to: