Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Chance the Wiz have to win the Eastern Conference??  (Read 16034 times)
LKdude
Hall of Famer

Respect: +150

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 10:18:40 pm »

The way the other teams in the East are playing now (very inconsistent), I'd say the Wizards have a decent chance to win the East.  But I still think Detroit will be the #1 seed and the Eastern Conference champions .
IlovePPierce
MVP

Respect: +14

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 12:37:30 pm »

I'm mostly a celt's fan but love Gilbert and AJ... I would say 10% chance.  The problem I've seen with them win they play the celt's is there always running... up by 15 with 5:00 to go and #0 is flying down the court instead of milking the clock, they have to play smart if they have a chance of winning the east.  good luck:)
manu/chapu
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 06:44:06 pm »

I think it will be chicago detroit or cleveland.Even more cleveland is the only team in the east to have a positive record against teams with a record 50%or more.......
manu/chapu
Benchwarmer

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 06:45:01 pm »

well i forgot washington but its the same
Mavsguru
Starter

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 03:42:42 pm »

More like a 20% shot.  

positives:
1) Coach of the year right now would have to go to Eddie Jordan.  
2) 3 star calibur players including a legitimate superstar/mvp canidate.
3) Fantastic chemistry developed over a good amount of time these guys have had playing under Jordan in D.C. over the past couple of years.
4) Darius Songalia will return to help their weak frontcourt.

negatives:
1) They are all Offense with no Defense which seldom succeeds in the post season.  
2) They are playing at their best leaving little room for turning it up in the postseason like a team like Miami would.
3) They have a lack of depth and are totally dependant on their big 3 making injuries massively damaging to their level of play.  
4) Their frontcourt pretty much sucks!

The one positive to build your hope around is that a trade for the right player could drastically improve their chances and I see them as likely to pursue some sort of deal.
lakersfoelyfe
Starter

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 12:01:09 am »

Lakers don’t have two of their starters, they play in a tougher conference and they have a better record than Washington.  Not trying to take anything away from E. Jordan but P. Jackson is the front runner to win the COY.

“Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates.”
sagaliba
Undrafted

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 12:55:43 pm »

Quote from: "Mavsguru"

You are kidding, right?

At the beginning of the season, Eddie Jordan laid out the first priority for his team: to improve on defense. Right now, they are the second worst defense team in NBA (and at times, they were the worst), great coaching, huh?

I will grant you that EJ has his team playing offense at high level. But I think the major credit goes to the GM who assembles the personnel that are capable and can mesh their talents together. (How many doubters are there when Arenas was given a big contract by Grunfield?)

4) Their frontcourt pretty much sucks!

Well, two of their 3 front court starters are part of the Big 3, which is on your "positive" list.

The remaining one is the center position, which by your "coach of the year" Eddie Jordan's design, is a pure defensive position. They seldom receive ball in EJ's offense, but both Brendan Haywood and Etan Thomas shot a very high percentage (both are close to 60%), and are good shot blockers (1.3 and 1.6 bpg respectively). Wizards on average only outscored their opponents by 0.94 point (just think how many last second winning shots Arenas has made this season)! Without the defense of their centers, they would have lost those close games, and Wizards will be below .500 right now!
sagaliba
Undrafted

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 03:29:37 pm »

Well, Wizards is on top of the East right now (along with CLE).

Now to continue what I was saying, I think Wiz's center got a bad rap. The fact is even though Wiz has the highest scoring tri in the league, according to the Lenovo +/- statistics, as of 1/20, Wizards team of Haywood, Arenas and Butler has a +198 rating (in 38 games they played together), while Jamison, Arenas and Butler (the big 3) has +178 rating. In other words, Haywood's defense presence is more important to the team than Jamison's offense ability.
JSouth#23
Star

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 05:04:27 pm »

they gotta get through cleveland first.
steve
MVP

I've grown to hate you all.

Respect: +1110

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 08:04:28 pm »

That doesn't seem like it'll be difficult at the moment.

Put my existence on this forum against yours.  Toronto makes the playoffs.
a-dre
Benchwarmer

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 06:20:16 am »

they suck on d, so i don't like their chances. id go w/ chicago detroit or miami. miami can sneak into the playoffs if d-wade can stay healthy. miami has been ballin lately if you havnt noticed.

second round tops for gil and his crew.
steve
MVP

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 01:46:13 pm »

I don't know how anyone can say that any of the teams in the East are a lock to make it anywhere in the Playoffs (I know I've stated this before and probably in this thread).  The thing is there's no one team that's dominant in the East and realistically even a team from the Atlantic could represent the East in the Finals.  The Wizards have just as good a chance as any of the teams in the East and are one of the few teams that can hang occasionally with the elite in the West (but they have some pretty big flaws just like the rest of the East).  Detriot has completely changed their idenity from the one that they won their championship with and are about two or three bad games from giving up on Flip Saunders.  The Cavaliers have Lebron and then rarely anyone else that gives him help on a consistent basis, so they could concievably make a run in the playoffs, but that's a pretty tall order for the kid to make, especially if his supporting cast is a no show (which is more than likely to happen enough for them to get ousted in a series).  Chicago is balanced, but have shown times when it's almost been impossible for them to score and they have nothing resembling an inside presence on offense (they don't even have player that can score from the low block occasionally).  Then there's Orlando, who are probably too young to make a decent run and really need to define a rotation (not too mention consistent play from everyone on their team, who's not named Grant Hill, when he's healthy of course).  Miami needs Shaq back and really, I'm not convinced he's the same player.  He played terribly in the finals last year and was render completely ineffective by the Mavericks.  Everyone's assuming that he's going to be the same player he used to be when he comes back, but he wasn't even that player before he got hurt.  Not too mention they're struggling to make the playoffs as is because without Shaq, it's just Wade, and what amounts to a more inferior supporting cast than Cleveland's.

cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 05:40:07 pm »

You forgot Toronto :wink:

Soon....
a-dre
Benchwarmer

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2007, 05:42:03 pm »

steve. i've seen detroit games this season, and i'm tellin u, they can still D it up even w/o big ben. miami can still play, even w/o shaq. check out the mavs-heat game that just went down. cavs is a one-man team, but they can lock down on d and they gots lbj to pull it out. as for the wizards, they kinda like the suns 2 years ago. they score, but they can't get defensive stops. defensive stops wins u games. so i like detroit's, dc's, and cleveland's chances better. on the plus side, if they can score enough and keep it close, gil can go hibachi and win the game
steve
MVP

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2007, 05:51:52 pm »

And all of those teams are behind Washington at the moment.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Jump to: