Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do we do with Tinsley now?  (Read 4142 times)
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« on: May 21, 2008, 09:21:43 am »

Well, it's official -- we have the 11th pick. Every mock draft out there has us picking either DJ Augustin or Russell Westbrook, and so far there isn't any reason to think we won't. It's not likely Jermaine O'Neal will be traded, and I have doubts that any wholesale changes are coming to this team.

Both Bird and O'Brien have endorsed Travis Diener - he's under contract for another couple of years and it's likely he'll be the backup PG for now. Assuming we take a PG with our 1st pick I would imagine that the intent is for him to start immediately -- especially given the team's lack of confidence in Tinsley.

So where does that leave Tinsley? He's owed about $7 million a year over the next 3 years. Buying out his contract at this point is not an option. There aren't many teams willing to take on a mid-level contract for such an injury risk with character issues, and Tinsley isn't even good enough to start for many teams out there.

Our trade options are extremely limited. It's pretty likely that if Tinsley goes anywhere, we'll have to ship out one of our young prospects like Shawne Williams or possibly even Granger.

I would be surprised if we have 3 PGs on the roster going into next season, but stranger things have happened. Should we be paying a guy $7 million to come off the bench -- or stay there altogether? What choice do we have?
olsons3
Benchwarmer

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:07:29 pm »

Well, let's look at the draft...

Miami gets the second pick.  They need a PG, but they need other stuff too.  They will have some cap room, and may be willing to entertain some offers for the pick.  If Chicago keeps the first pick and takes Beasley, Miami has Rose's pick.  So Larry offers Oneal, Tinsley, and the 11th pick for the 2nd pick.  They take Westbrook at the 11th pick.  

Miami would have a pretty solid core team with Wade, Marion, and Oneal.  They also get two functional point guards.

That is one example, but for a team with a lot of pieces they are willing to part with, the draft can be "Let's make a deal" time.  

I could see us trading the 11th and a couple players for the rights to any of the top 5 picks.  I can also see us targeting a Robin Lopez late in the first round with our second round picks and maybe a player or two.

What can we offer???  Tinsley, Daniels, Williams, Oneal, Diogu, Harrison, and picks 11, and 41...  

Watch for a trade up with both picks and a package of players.  We end up with a trade exception that can be used to acquire other players.

We clear a roster, acquire great picks, and a chance to rebuild this team with personnel JOB can work with.

Boom Baby!!!!
Benchwarmer

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 06:05:13 am »

Quote from: "olsons3"

What can we offer???  Tinsley, Daniels, Williams, Oneal, Diogu, Harrison, and picks 11, and 41...  

Dude, you are way more optimistic than I'm willing to be! I don't see any team willing to take on any of those players, and I don't see us getting a fair value on any of them even if there is a team out there that has a mild interest.

Tinsley - Injuries, off court issues, lack of talent.
O'Neal - Injuries, big contract, hasn't proven he's still the player he once was.
Diogu - Can't get any playing time, even without JO. How good is he really?
Harrison - Wouldn't make the roster for most teams out there. Off court issues.
Williams - Off court issues, immature, still has a lot of potential to fulfill.
Daniels - Another underachiever who hasn't lived up to his contract.

I see every one of these players returning next season, with the exception of Harrison because I believe he's a free agent.
UNIT
Hall of Famer

Respect: +57

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 10:49:41 am »

lol i think are point situation will be perfect if we draft DJ...

coz tinsley will start the yr on fire and get injured by january and then DJ takes over starting spot.
olsons3
Benchwarmer

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 11:02:45 am »

You have to like it when a good plan is laid down before you...

Boom Baby!!!!
olsons3
Benchwarmer

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 08:16:29 pm »

Coach posted his homework assignments for the the players that are under contract.  It's on Pacers.com.

Harrison, Rush, Owens did not have assignments since they are all free agents.

Everyone else got an assignment but Tinsley.  

The writing is on the wall.  He will be in a trade for a second round pick.

Boom Baby!!!!
jtan08
Journeyman

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 11:39:05 am »

Coach posted his homework assignments for the the players that are under contract.  It's on Pacers.com.

Harrison, Rush, Owens did not have assignments since they are all free agents.

Everyone else got an assignment but Tinsley.  

The writing is on the wall.  He will be in a trade for a second round pick.

yah i noticed. trade tinsley for david lee or anderson varejao or cavs 1st pick. Lebron will be happy to have a past 1st PG rather none at all.
olsons3
Benchwarmer

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:35:15 pm »

I heard rumor earlier about an Oneal-Tinsley trade to the Cavs for something.  

Second round pick and a used ball rack possibly.

Boom Baby!!!!
Benchwarmer

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 06:14:45 pm »

lol  

Bird probably wants Wally and Ilgauskas, which would make us by far the whitest team in the league!
Oskar
Undrafted

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 04:51:54 am »

I think it would be good to get rid of O'Neal, he wants to get out and then Granger would have the leadership, he's good. Tinsley.. Get rid of him for whatever is possible.

jtan08
Journeyman

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 01:46:05 am »

Nah,, i also read some rumors regarding Oneal trade to Cavs, but the name mensioned doesn't sound pretty good (Wally/Snow) what? The Cavs have no pieces or good young player for us to make the trade.
guru10
Journeyman

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 03:23:40 pm »

"Miami has Rose's pick. So Larry offers Oneal, Tinsley, and the 11th pick for the 2nd pick. They take Westbrook at the 11th pick."

How exactly would this trade happen to come about since the Pacer's are giving up 28 million in current salary and the 11th pick for a 2nd pick and?

This should be good can't wait to see it!
UNIT
Hall of Famer

Respect: +57

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 11:45:48 pm »

rose will go 1st
miamisolecollector
Starter

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 05:57:29 pm »

Miami representative here, and this is the only offer I would see Miami doing for Jamal Tinsley:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1024~70&teams=14~11&te=&cash=

olsons3
Benchwarmer

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 09:20:49 pm »

Done, Where do I sign???

Boom Baby!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: