Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Timberwolves 2008-2009  (Read 14164 times)
czaras
All-Star

Respect: 0

« on: June 28, 2008, 12:59:52 pm »

After the draft-night deal with Memphis, our roster stands...

9 players;

Al Jefferson
Randy Foye
Mike Miller
Kevin Love
Corey Brewer
Rashad McCants
Mark Madsen
Brian Cardinal
Jason Collins

+ 3 probably returning restricted free agents:

Ryan Gomes
Sebastian Telfair
Craig Smith

+ our 2nd round pick:

Nikola Pekovic (who's not a scrub by any means, 17ppg in the Euroleague is damn good)

Which means we'll have 13 players under contract and a depth chart of:

PG Foye (Telfair)
SG Miller (McCants)
SF Gomes (Brewer)
PF Love (Smith, Cardinal, Madsen)
C Jefferson (Collins, Pekovic)

I have nothing against Chris Richard, but unless we buy Collins or Cardinal out, there's not enough place for him. As for Kirk Snyder, I liked his energy and we could strenghthen our rotation at SG/SF, but not at the price of 3.3million, which is his qualifying offer.

Restricted Free Agents.

Ryan Gomes: he will be coveted by most teams, willing to sign him for some part of the MLE. A do-it-all SF is always nice, and he could easily crack the rotation on most NBA teams. I really hope the Wolves resign him to a long-term deal in the 3-4 million range. The rest of the MLE should be left for some depth issues at SG/SF.

Sebastian Telfair: just give him the qualifying offer of 3.5 million, I doubt he'll get more anywhere else. And who knows, maybe he can be signed to an extension at the same number. If someone hates him for whatever reason, I'll tell you this; he averaged 6apg (when was the last time a Wolves player did that? Cassell?), had no attitude problems whatsoever, improved his defense and playmaking. A good backup.

Craig Smith: a sign-and-trade for someone more useful would be perfect. With the newcomer Love probably occupying PF next to Big Al and Jason Collins being the defensive C that might work well when Big Al plays at PF... there's very little minutes left for the undersized Smith on this roster. If Brandon Bass could make as much on a playoff Dallas team, Smith can aswell. Any ideas who might like him and what can we get?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 05:01:45 am by czaras » Logged
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 04:19:14 am »

pekovics not coming over next season, which might be a positive while we figure out our rotation (i don't want our only real gem of the 2008 draft pulling splinters out of his ***).
smith could go to a playoff team, though bass is not a great comparison as while he's undersized he's more athletic then smith and thus makes up for it. there's no denying however that craig produces so he should definitely be shopped out to another team for something of value (or another 1st rounder)
i'm honestly not sure where though. lakers have no room, houston has enough undersized PFs, celtics the same, as well as detroit, hornets might though i doubt we'd get enough out of them. orlando? i don't know. but the silence period ends next tuesday (right?) so we should find out sooner rather then later.
if he's still here come game time i'll still be happy though

wolvesfan41
Journeyman

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 05:36:38 pm »

What about Smith for Redick?  I think he would be a good player off the bench and he could benefit from a Love/ Jefferson front court.  There are so many undersized PFs now that can do what Smith does so I don't think the Wolves could get much for him.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 10:26:08 pm »

reddicks too slow to guard SGs but too small to guard SFs. his shooting is nice but everything else about him is out of sorts, atleast right now. smith should net more then him. besides we've got miller and mccants holding that position down now (would have been nicer with mayo-mccants  :roll: ) so i think we need either a backup PG or a starting centre

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 04:05:19 pm »

So, Gomes, Richard and Craig SMith will be here for sure.

I kind of understand why Telfair didn't get a qualifying offer. Maybe the Wolves think 3.5 is too much. But I would still hate to lose him, since he has really made strides last season.
wolvesfan41
Journeyman

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:34:20 pm »

Wow I'm dissappointed that the Wolves signed Richard and not Telfair.  We really don't have too many guards now.  Hopefully the Wolves are able to sign him in free agency but I don't think it was a good idea to take a risk.  They must plan on sending Richard to the D-league because I don't think he will get any burn after the trade.

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 02:37:10 am »

More news about Pekovic. He's 22, has 2 years ;eft on his Euro deal.

Hollinger (lol, take this with some irony) said that if it wasn't for his phat euro deal, he'd take him at #3. Wink

He was the consensus 31st pick because of his euro contract, some claim if he was a free agent in Europe, he was top10 material. Wolves rep[ortedly received lots of calls for the 31st pick just because of Pekovic. At least they knew who to choose.

He's 6'11, 260 pounds and he's a big, bad center. Not the finesse type. This guy is pure, raw power down low, physical as hell. Doesn't possess a wide array of offensive moves, but he's an offensive force nonetheless, using his sheer strength. He averaged 17ppg 8rpg in the Euroleague, which as I said earlier is a great stat line. I believe he was 2nd in scoring, which proves that.

He'll be here for the 2010/11 season, unless the Wolves buy him out of his last contract year.
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 04:30:03 am »

so how does rodney carney and calvin booth figure into the plans now?

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 11:21:29 am »

I think Booth will be waived since his agent said 'Calvin's CONTRACT will be with the Timberwolves tomorrow" on the eve of the trade.

Can't blame them, since they laready have a clogged big-man rotation with Big Al, Kevin Love, Jason Collins and Craig Smith (if he's still here) playing heavy minutes and Madsen/Richard to round out the rotation.

Or maybe he'll get traded for some backup PG being paid similar amounts (~1mill). Portland has a clogged PG rotation - maybe Von Wafer or Sergio Rodriguez could be had in a trade for Calvin Booth.

As for Carney - he'll add depth. He's here to play Kirk Snyder's role for half the money, which is decent financial-wise. What was that role? Energizer off the bench.

If he can make the most out of his minutes, he should have stats around the same numbers Snyder had his. The fact Jaric and Buckner are not here anymore only allows him to play more. He's versatile and can play both SG and SF. So he'll be covering both positions as the third string. SG behind Miller and McCants, SF behind Gomes and Brewer.
Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

Twitter: @WholeEffeinShow

Respect: +723

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 06:08:47 pm »

I think Booth will get bought out or they will renounce the rights to Chris Richard. I doubt they will keep them both. Rodney Carney is an athletic winger. He has a lot of room to grow into his pure talent in Minnesota. I just hope he's willing to play within an offense and not get outcasted like what happened to Gerald Green. He's a lot more mature than Green, so I can see it happen.

RIP Madawg
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 05:06:34 am »

Until we resign Telfair, we have no guarantee of a backup PG.

So, New Jersey reportedly took Keyon Dooling off the market by agreeing to do a s&t for him with their trade exception.

What does it mean for us?

1) New Jersey has 16 guaranteed deals
2) Marcus Williams is again the odd man out with Harris, Carter and Dooling being the main guard rotation

We still have the 1.4million Gerald Green trade exception!

Williams earns 1.2mill and he's not that bad for a backup. They will agree in an instant if you ask me, that's the ebst way of getting rid of a 16th contract.

We seriously need to do this;

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=&teams=&te=3039:16-2761&cash=

Even if we resign Telfair later on, Williams will be 3rd string. *shrugs* He's on a rookie deal and can be let go after this season, no biggy.
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 05:20:05 am »

i'd agree with that. marcus williams has alot of potential and is already a nice player so if we can basically get him for nothing the i'd do it in a heartbeat

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 02:02:54 am »

so our roster looks something like this now
PG: Foye/Telfair
SG: Miller*/McCants/Carney
SF: Gomes**/Brewer/Mensah-Bonsu****
PF: Love/Smith/Cardinal***
C: Jefferson/Collins/Richards/Booth

*I'm assuming that Miller will play SG as he did at memphis, though its open to debate as many people seem to consider him a SF. Thoughts?
**I'm also assuming Gomes is resigned and honestly imo he deserves starter minutes. He's versatile and while he can play bigger then he is, its still nice for him to play his more natural SF position.
***I think he will be bought out. McHale didn't hesitate to get rid of Juwan Howard last year and we, imo, need the roster space this waste takes up, especially next year.
****I put him in purely for the guys that hope he'll get signed. He might get signed for a year, but that would have to be the limit atleast guaranteed

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 10:24:26 am »

Update on the Wolves.

We've got 14 players under contract, with Chris Richard expected to be resigned and a possibility the likes of Calvin Booth and Brian Cardinal will get bought out.

Depth chart:

PG Foye/Telfair
SG Miller/McCants/Carney
SF Gomes/Brewer
PF Love/C.Smith/Madsen/(Cardinal)
C Jefferson/Collins/(Richard)/(Booth)

The guys in brackets are the ones I'd put on the inactive list (D-League if we are talking Richard).

Next draft we'll surely have two 1st rounders:
- our own, top-10 protected from the Clips -> probably 5-8
- Boston's (top-3 protected) -> probably 26-30

We have a shot at two other 1st rounders:
- Miami's (top 10 protected) -> could be anywhere, 10-18 if we get it likely
- Utah's via Philly, (top 22 protected), if Utah finishes in the top 8 of the league, then it's ours -> probably 22-25

As for 2nd round picks, our own goes to Detroit (Ronald Dupree trade), while we get a 2nd rounder from Miami (Mario Chalmers trade) so it's practically the same situation.
Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

Twitter: @WholeEffeinShow

Respect: +723

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 11:54:13 pm »

When do the Wolves go after a borderline star to pair with Jefferson and Love? I personally don't think it matters the position due to the versatility and the mediocre players we have up and down the roster. I think the timing is when Foye finally plays to his potential, whenever that is. Does everyone agree? If not, I am curious on what your views are for timing of a trade.

RIP Madawg
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Jump to: