Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 2011-12 Minnesota Timberwolves Prospects**Fixed/Updated**  (Read 24264 times)
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

Respect: 0

« on: July 06, 2008, 08:51:58 am »

i know this is early, but maybe this can get stickied. just put up information on guys in the 2009 draft that you feel are interesting or should be targeted by our FO. remember they'll have another lottery pick (yeah that's ours  :roll: ) and probably another one in the 10-16 range (i see miami as being a fringe playoff team/low seed if everyone's healthy the first year) and boston (30th)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:02:48 pm by Dice Dice Baby!! » Logged

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:13:51 am »

i've got 3 that i'm interested in right now; demar derozan, tyreke evans and tyler smith.

demar derozan:

an athletic 6-6 SG who loves to run the floor and is a great scorer. while its tough to judge these things in high school, right now he seems to be almost the opposite of mayo i.e. more athletic but with a worse shot. he COULD be the second scorer we need next to jefferson and a guy like this could really maximise love's passing potential. if we get top 3 again (it could happen) then there's no way you could pass on him.

tyreke evans:

a 6-5 combo guard. if he can prove he can run the point and guard SGs, then he could be a great fit next to a guy like foye and especially with mccants. he'd be a backup if we didn't have a chance at demar

tyler smith:

i think he's just a really versatile player. the kind of unselfish, intagibles guy that championship teams crave. while he's still got to prove he can play SF, if he can then he'll be a good contributor for a long time imo

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 03:48:42 am »

How about... we try some proven college guys, instead of putting expectations on high-schoolers.

Stephen Curry - great shooter, fast an athletic. Small and not too strong, but takes away so much attentio0n with his perimeter scoring. Also: clutch.

Hasheem Thabeet - 7-3, big and strong C, a great shot-blocker.

Tyler Hansbrough - as productive as it gets. May end up being forced to become a "power 3" in the NBA because he's a bit too small for PF... but still, this guy might become a difference maker.
wolvesfan41
Journeyman

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 02:02:32 pm »

I would like to see Chase Budinger or Stephen Curry.  Both would need to put on some weight to play in the L.  It's still early but I could see the Wolves drafting between picks 9-12 (unless they win the lottery).  Derozan will probably be a top 3 pick.  I also like Tyler Smith.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 06:42:41 pm »

where do people think we'll land in the draft? i honestly think we'll do better then 3rd worst record next year, but i don't see us going past the 8th imo

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:09:27 am »

earl clark - do it all SF like smith only alittle bigger and more of a wing player right now. was great last season just coming off the bench for lousiana

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 09:40:38 pm »

thought i'd dig this up

James Harden, SG: Productive scorer in college. Works well off the ball. Versatile. Rebounds, passes and steals well for a SG. Has good vision. Is unselfish. Shoots well with good %s across the board. Hard to evaluate defensively because of Arizona's matchup zone but looks to already have good fundamentals in this area. Clutch. Not the best athlete. Doesn't have star potential but will be solid atleast if not more.

Earl Clark, SF/PF: Versatile swingman. Rebounds very well. Has good physical tools to succeed. Has superb length, athleticism and speed. Good passing skills. Can operate on the perimeter or in the post. Runs the floor well. Can play either position, a "hybrid foward". Can create mismatches because of it. Has great shooting mechanics. Can coast sometimes. Can be a lockdown defender but needs to put his mind to it more. Unselfish player.

Both players are the kind that would rather not score and win the game then score 50pts and lose which is important. Assuming the Love-Jefferson combo works and Minnesota doesn't have to go big, then these 2 should be the targets assuming that we don't get a top 3 pick which would basically mean DeRozan over Harden due to his otherworldly potential, but I think the team has improved more then many are giving them credit and won't be a bottom 3 team in the league).

Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

Twitter: @WholeEffeinShow

Respect: +723

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 11:33:56 pm »

I will sticky it for you and add some others when I get the shot.

RIP Madawg
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 12:41:12 am »

Hasheem Thabeet, C: Athletic centre people say Jefferson and Love need to succeed. Has crazy height and wingspan and is a good shot blocker. Perfect fit and a good pick around 6-9 which looks like the range we'll be picking now  from preseason.

Gerald Henderson, SG: Athletic wing that can be a lockdown defender, unselfish and a scorer. Has a high basketball IQ and is unselfish.

I don't think that we'll get a shot at DeRozan or Mullens anymore after our preseason success. I know it's just preseason and our defence is still bad but we've been winning so we must be doing something right. This draft looks weak for star potential outside of about the top 4 or 5 but guys like Thabeet and Henderson would be perfect fits as complimentary players.

Iam curious what other people think we need. Is it a centre like Thabeet, Mullens or Ogilvy or is Love and Jefferson the only big man combination we want. Is it a slasher or wing player/scorer like DeRozan, Harden or Henderson. Or maybe something else that we already have like a SF like Earl Clark or a PG like Brandon Jennings.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 03:37:03 am »

Since this season has started I thought I'd put my opinion into what we might need in the draft at this early time.

1. A pass first point guard. Foye just can't cut it. He's not a bad player but I'd rather bring him off the bench as our explosive 6th man combo guard then have him taking away alot of shots from the other guys. Miller always plays better with Telfair next to him and I've noticed the big guys seem to be getting the ball alittle more with Telfair then Foye. Rubio or Jennings should be the targets in this case but some of the later guys like Ty Lawson, Pat Mills or even Nick Calathes could be an option with a later pick.

2. A centre. This small ball crap has to end. Jefferson shouldn't be continually forced to hustle it with the big guys on defence then turn around and carry the team on offence. It's impossible. Love has been little help in this regard as well. But that's expected when we have 2 unathletic power forwards holding down the paint. Someone athletic and tall with decent post defence would be perfect. Mullens looks like a perfect fit but Thabeet, Jordan and Ogilvy would all do fine.

3. Defence should be a priority and an unselfish attitude should be at the top of the list of personality traits we should be looking for. Right now everyone is just playing for themselves and it's terrible. No one plays defence and we're falling apart on both ends. I'll say Harden, Henderson, Williams, Smith and Clark are the ones that I haven't mentioned so far.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 11:59:40 pm »

Been bored so I thought of another draft day scenario

Our pick (top 5): BJ Mullens, C - We need height and a 3 man rotation of Jefferson-Mullens-Love doesn't look too bad. He's got nice athleticism too and would fit in well with Jefferson and Love.

Miami's pick (top 15): Al Farouq-Aminu, SF - I'm high on him at the moment. He seems to be a really special prospect. With a 6-8 frame and 7-4 wingspan he could be a lockdown defender at the SF position. He's also shown some handles and if he could develop some point forward skills he could play a Tayshawn Prince role for us.

Utah's pick (top 25): Scotty Hopson, SG - A wing project but he's got the tools to succeed. Has a nice jumpshot and can slash well but needs to put everything together.

Boston's pick (top 30): I don't know. I'd want a defensive 3rd string point if we had to use this pick but I'd expect this and Utah's pick to be packaged to move up and get Hopson. Maybe if Darren Collison or Ty Lawson falls but I can't see that happening.

Depth chart
PG: Foye, Telfair
SG: Miller, Brewer, Hopson
SF: Gomes, Aminu, Carney
PF: Jefferson, Love, Smith
C: Mullens, Collins/Booth

Note: I don't think McCants is in Minnesota's long term plans and Collins probably won't be resigned. Hopson is low on the depth chart to develop alittle but will get a bigger role when Miller leaves at the end of next year.

Danimals
Undrafted

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 01:58:25 am »

I like: Steph Curry and Jrule Holiday at point, James Harden and Gerald Henderson at the 2, Chase Budinger as a 2-3,  Earl Clark and Farouq-Aminu at SF, we don't need a 4, and Thabeet, Ogilvy, and Mullens for center.
acstine
Undrafted

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 02:12:27 am »

i love the idea of a center.  

hasheem thabeet would be my number one choice for a few reasons.  

1) hes a defensive threat.  his size is intimidating in the paint and will force opponents to play more of a perimeter game.  with other good rebounders on the team, particularly kevin love, he'll be a great addition to a stacked line of big guys.

2) i like him more than bj mullens because i think mullens is pretty unreliable day to day.  hes inconsistent and i think that may only worsen in the NBA.

3) his offensive game is rather weak, but with a great one on one teacher in kevin mchale, i think that can be pretty easily learned.  

i think he'll go top 3 or 4 however so hopefully we can slip in one of the top spots.
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 02:18:53 am »

We should be able to get him. I think the plan should be if we have a chance at Rubio or Harden then we take the BPA at both ours and Miami's pick. If we don't then we should focus on balancing out our team. Thabeet and a wing player like Tyreke Evans would finally give us a lineup where everyone's not playing out of position.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 05:04:04 am »

www.timberpups.com

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Jump to: