Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billups Expendable?  (Read 5171 times)
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

Respect: 0

« on: July 13, 2008, 02:11:10 am »

A lot of NBA fans really didn't know much about Rodney Stuckey when he was selected 15th by the Detroit Pistons in the 2007 NBA Draft.  Heck, a lot of fans in Detroit weren't really sure who the kid from Eastern Washington was.  However, after a full season in the league and a chance to be a contributor on a playoff team, it's clear Stuckey is ready... now.

"It helped me out a lot," Stuckey said of his playoff experience last season.  "It gave me some extra confidence, but I always have confidence.  But it just gave me an extra-boost of more confidence, and it also gave a lot of confidence to my teammates as well."

Yes, it's just summer league where Stuckey is playing currently.  However, when you watch him out on the court it's clear he's head-and shoulders above the pack.  He looks in control at all times, can get into the lane at will and carries himself like a veteran, All-Star guard.

"It's giving me a chance to run a team," Stuckey said of summer league play Friday in Las Vegas.  "I've got to get used to doing that because next year that's going to be one of the major parts of my game that I'm going to have to really learn."

If it sounds like Stuckey understands that he might be "the guy" at the point next season, that's because there's a fairly high likelihood he will be.  While it's possible to play Chauncey Billups and Stuckey together, the reality is that they are almost identical players.  Truth be told, when GM Joe Dumars drafted Stuckey it was with the intention of replacing Billups.  Thing is, even the most optimistic of talent evaluators didn't expect Stuckey to progress so quickly.

With Dumars putting the league on notice that Detroit is in the market to make a major trade, multiple league sources have told HOOPSWORLD that Billups is among the most likely on the roster to be moved.  A big reason why is his age and his contract, but more important is the fact the team believes Stuckey could step into Billups' shoes next season.

One executive who has been involved in discussions with the Pistons this summer informed HOOPSWORLD he was told in no uncertain terms that Stuckey was off limits.  However, he said Billups' name came up frequently in discussion.

The move wouldn't necessarily be an easy one for the Pistons to make given the fact Billups has been the heart and soul of this current Pistons' group.  At the end of the day, though, Dumars is all about winning a title, which is a goal the Pistons haven't achieved now in four years despite having one of the league's most talented rosters and playing in an inferior conference.

Last season, Stuckey played the role of student and had the chance to learn from the bevy of experience Billups brought to the table.

"(Billups) just tells me to be aggressive, and that's just what I'm trying to do out there," Stuckey explained.  "If I can take my guy and get to the basket, that's what he tells me to do.  It's not just him.  I have Rip, Sheed, Dice and also (Lindsey Hunter) has been a big part of my success, too.  He's always been on me.  Those guys are getting me where I need to be."

The student is supposed to one day surpass the teacher, and provided the right deal comes along it looks like he will this summer in Detroit.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9447
thoughts?

Josh
MVP

everything is just a headache

Respect: +1556

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

as always, I think it depends on what you can get for him.
rem322
Undrafted

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 02:01:22 pm »

Quote from: Josh
as always, I think it depends on what you can get for him.

I agree to a certain extent. Billups is simply not the player he used to be. That much is painfully obvious. I think Joe D is holding out to get equal value for the guy that won the 2004 Finals MVP trophy. C-Bill just isn't that guy anymore. I hate to say it, but I noticed that, toward the end of the season, the whole team ran better with Billups on the bench and Stuck at the helm. I don't see where Chauncey fits any more. It's time to move him and let Stuckey be the new face of the franchise.
lilskip
Benchwarmer

Respect: +2

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 02:32:41 pm »

the pistons should try to get a young center who can defend the paint and make a impact right away.sheed is to depended on in the paint.everything is together except  that big man.I think Camby and a draft pick for Billups sond good.what u think  shangrila?
Josh
MVP

everything is just a headache

Respect: +1556

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 02:42:38 pm »

I crave Youth for the pistons.  I would give up all the starters for a young star.
thetravellingpalmer
Starter

Respect: +28

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 11:13:55 am »

Billups is absolutely expendable. and they won't regret it either, as it's almost guaranteed that Billups will break down in the playoffs and be garbage.

Stuckey is the future of this team, and is really the only glimmer of hope to this dear Pistons fan. as he's the now and future of the franchise.

they should deal Billups for a quality player, or try and get an expiring contract and picks. any room you can make for the 2010 free agent class is a great thing.
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 05:19:27 pm »

it might be easier to deal billups with either rip or sheed because alone with his contract teams will find it hard to accept him

MSchmidt
Benchwarmer

Respect: +1

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 06:21:01 pm »

Quote from: "t-mac357"
it might be easier to deal billups with either rip or sheed because alone with his contract teams will find it hard to accept him

And also, by pairing him with one of the other guys, you might be able to get a proven player and maybe some young talent as well; depending on who you discuss.
MR23Miyagi
Benchwarmer

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 01:36:03 pm »

I dont think the team should be going for a young center but a center that has exp and can actually play. I was hoping that they could have found a way to get Camby, but that never happened. AS of now i really cant see the team getting any push them over the hump center for Billups at this point.
JD3
a.k.a. joshdetroit3
Star

Respect: +89

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 06:23:33 am »

Billups has done really awesome the last month against warriors dropping 37 and having a dominate 3rd quarter against the clippers.

I guess the Pistons thought that billups has hit his peak and they drafted stuckey, stuckey is the future of that franchise.

Miami's Finest
MVP

Respect: +18

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 06:45:01 am »

Billups has done really awesome the last month against warriors dropping 37 and having a dominate 3rd quarter against the clippers.

I guess the Pistons thought that billups has hit his peak and they drafted stuckey, stuckey is the future of that franchise.
you bump a 2 year old thread to say that?

thetravellingpalmer
Starter

Respect: +28

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 11:37:08 am »

while I'll eat my words for stating that Stuckey is the future of the Pistons, he did look incredible in his rookie playoff series against Boston.

but Billups still runs out of gas in the playoffs. he still did last year against the Lakers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: