Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lakers have spoken to Thomas' agent  (Read 1816 times)
The Big Three
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« on: July 14, 2008, 06:08:38 pm »

Faced with the possibility that they may lose their own back-up center, restricted free agent Ronny Turiaf, the Lakers have spoken to the agents for unrestricted free agents Kurt Thomas and James Posey.

The San Antonio Express-News reported earlier this week that Thomas said his preference is to return to San Antonio next season, but indicated he will investigate other opportunities. "Hopefully, things work out that way," Thomas said of the possibility of re-signing with the Spurs. "That's the great thing about being a free agent. I get to weigh my options and decide what's best for me and my family."

The Lakers declined to comment Thursday, but General Manager Mitch Kupchak told the Long Beach Press-Telegram that he hoped to retain Turiaf.

Golden State's offer to Turiaf might be too steep a price for the Lakers to pay a backup who averaged 6.6 points last season.

Turiaf signed an offer sheet Thursday from the Golden State Warriors worth $17 million over four years. The Lakers have seven days to match the offer, but they have significant salary cap and luxury tax issues, devoting about $75 million to only 10 players so far.

As reported, the new NBA salary cap will be $58.68 million for next season and the luxury tax will be $71.15 million.

Teams with payrolls exceeding the luxury tax threshold must pay $1 for every $1 over the limit, meaning the Lakers could be writing a huge check to keep their players from last year's team. Especially when you consider that they are still negotiating to re-sign restricted free-agent guard Sasha Vujacic.

Kupchak described talks with Vujacic's agent, Bill Duffy, as "on-going," but offered no details.

http://www.broadbandnewsnet.com/newsmanager/anmviewer.asp?a=4884&z=1

I hope we don't end up losing him, the good news is we have his Bird Rights, which means we can re-sign him to whatever we'd like to offer, whereas any other team can offer only the amount they have left to spend in the offseason, which in most cases would be the MLE or just part of it.  Kurt should stick around, he offers us some good rebounding and capable offensive ability when on the floor.  I'm opposed to him starting, however, as he lacks the size and athleticism to guard certain members of the opposing team, which is a bad thing as Duncan's 6'11" and slow, and can't guard the David Wests and Amare Stoudemire's of the league.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: