Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Timberwolves need to sign.....  (Read 4747 times)
KerryKittles30
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« on: July 21, 2008, 08:51:32 am »

Pops Mensah-Bonsu for sure....We need an athletic freak like him and his heart and desire to prove he belongs in the NBA is unquestioned.

Blake Ahearn- he showed enough to impress me to the point that if Telfair can't be re-signed (although i hope he is) that we would be ok with Ahearn.

Summer league or not they both proved enough to me they belong on this team!
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 12:57:47 pm »

I'm also all for Pops Mensah-Bonsu, especially when Gomes might demand too much.

As for Ahearn... nah. He's too much of a gunner instead of a playmaker. Not as bad as Neitzel, but still not a great passer.

I'd rather trade for some neglected PG...like Marcus Williams from the Nets.
KerryKittles30
Undrafted

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:46:40 pm »

oh yeah i'm all for the T'Wolves gettng marcus williams no doubt but, i see that making too much sense so therefore i don't see McHale doing it.. but, i see your point to wit Ahearn ...i just hope for Telfair and also i wished Marcus Banks never left he seemed to fit well too bad he got greedy.....or we could always go local and find out what Troy Bell is doing?
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 02:58:33 am »

pops is nice and could be a solid addition but i honestly see him being able to get alot more money from a euro team, so he will probably take that money since with smith, love, jefferson, richards and collins manning the foward rotation it's going to be hard to find him minutes. by all means if he still wants to play for us then we should atleast keep him for a year and develop him, then see where he's at when the season's over.
ahearn had a chance last year with the heat. he's a nice shooter but not the playmaker that you'd really want him to be. he's a summer league guy pure and simple.
marcus williams would be perfect, as i've said a few times but i'm starting to think it's going to be hard to get him. the nets want to apparently use him to sweeten the pot to move a contract for a veteran (dont know why since they're not going to contend next year) but either way we don't have alot of veterans they'd be interested. i doubt the TPE would be enough anymore. kinda knew it was too good to be true though when we were talking about it

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 03:13:15 am »

Nets think they CAN contend. Jefferson Airplane is gone, but they're going to give heavy minutes to Yi at PF (or SF) so he can score, score, score and Bobby Simmons is a nice veteran addition, if he can stay healthy. Add Devin Harris, VC and Dooling to back both up...and the group of young big-men out front (Brook Lopez, Josh Boone, Sean Williams) and they can make the playoffs in the East.

They are obviously looking for front court help and I don't see them getting anything as significant as Yi+Simmons. So there's a pretty chance they'll move Marcus Williams for a trade exception alone, just to cut down to 15 contracts. That's our chance. Wink

BTW, Pops is a SF, so he'd be pretty useful as a backup if Gomes does not resign, since there would only be Brewer and Carney to man that position.
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 03:42:58 am »

Quote from: "czaras"
Nets think they CAN contend. Jefferson Airplane is gone, but they're going to give heavy minutes to Yi at PF (or SF) so he can score, score, score and Bobby Simmons is a nice veteran addition, if he can stay healthy. Add Devin Harris, VC and Dooling to back both up...and the group of young big-men out front (Brook Lopez, Josh Boone, Sean Williams) and they can make the playoffs in the East.

They are obviously looking for front court help and I don't see them getting anything as significant as Yi+Simmons. So there's a pretty chance they'll move Marcus Williams for a trade exception alone, just to cut down to 15 contracts. That's our chance. Wink

BTW, Pops is a SF, so he'd be pretty useful as a backup if Gomes does not resign, since there would only be Brewer and Carney to man that position.

i thought he was a PF since that's all he pretty much played at vegas. i don't think they'll let gomes go. he should get decent minutes from us next year and is just a great allround player. doesn't do anything great but just does everything good. yeah im hoping for that chance though.

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 03:56:45 am »

Gomes is said to be demanding a large portion if not the full midlevel.

Only thing that can help is is no team with the full MLE will have a need for him. Boston would love him, but they already signed POB, and reprtedly House and Allen.

There's only Devean George and Ryan Gomes left of that kind on the market. None of them are Posey, but they are still useful, capable of guarding both forward positions and doing all the little things.

Pops played a lot of PF in Summer League, but he's more of a Gomes type - a power 3.
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 05:40:43 am »

i'd be fine paying gomes the MLE. it's honestly not like we want to sign anyone else and as long as the contract isn't bad for the next few years then why not? he was one of our more consistent players we had and he's got a good career ahead of him. but yeah sign pops for a year with a team option for next year and see how he goes.

French-Kobe
Star

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 02:13:42 pm »

I think Kwame Brown could be a good solution for the Wolves...He's not asking for too much and has a good defensive presence.

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 02:23:51 pm »

Quote from: "French-Kobe"
I think Kwame Brown could be a good solution for the Wolves...He's not asking for too much and has a good defensive presence.

Why do we need him when we have Jason Collins, who's even better defensively?
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 03:36:14 pm »

Quote from: "French-Kobe"

Why do we need him when we have Jason Collins, who's even better defensively?

+1

Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

Twitter: @WholeEffeinShow

Respect: +723

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 11:58:49 pm »

The Wolves need to sign Shaun Livingston.

RIP Madawg
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 09:05:15 am »

What for, so he can be the 15th player in the depth chart?

No one can return at at least 75% of his old self after such a dreadful injury. I wish him the ebst but I just don't see it.
Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

Twitter: @WholeEffeinShow

Respect: +723

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 12:02:25 pm »

What for, so he can be the 15th player in the depth chart?

No one can return at at least 75% of his old self after such a dreadful injury. I wish him the ebst but I just don't see it.

What makes you think he's going to be that far down? The Wolves aren't good enough to push talent to the end of the bench. Their is no way his stock is high enough to get the Wolves into a bad contract, and he is sooo young still and the Wolves don't have anything definitive at the PG position, anyway. Foye can play the 2 and Livingston the one for some minutes. Or you could always put Livingston at the 2 and someone else at the one.

Point being: He could be talented enough to make a difference and the Wolves don't have enough difference making talent to shove him to the end of the bench if he shows he can make a difference in the teams' win-loss record.

RIP Madawg
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 05:06:08 pm »

Right, so assuming all the pros... what odds do we have to land him? Only as far as "being the only team that wants him".

He's a great talent and if he came here, an injury to Foye or Telfair would mean big minutes... but it's as big of a question mark as it gets.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: