Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jorge Garbajosa to the Raptors  (Read 5429 times)
pachero
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« on: June 28, 2006, 06:15:54 am »

Jorge Garbajosa is going to Toronto Raptors. Remember Sam Perkins? The difference is that Garbajosa likes to bang inside and plays defense. Plus he has mid-range game. Maybe he's not as tall as the average NBA power forwards, but he can face that thanks to his high Basketball IQ.

If Garbajosa had gone to the Suns, he would have been averaging 13-15 PPG from the bench. I hope he can find 25 minutes in Toronto, as they have Bosh and Villanueva.

By the way, Garbajosa's hiring is a good hint: Toronto is not going to pick Bargnani. Why do you think they traded Bonner?

Greetings from Spain.
Joshua
Journeyman

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 12:44:06 pm »

Quote from: "pachero"
Jorge Garbajosa is going to Toronto Raptors. Remember Sam Perkins? The difference is that Garbajosa likes to bang inside and plays defense. Plus he has mid-range game. Maybe he's not as tall as the average NBA power forwards, but he can face that thanks to his high Basketball IQ.

If Garbajosa had gone to the Suns, he would have been averaging 13-15 PPG from the bench. I hope he can find 25 minutes in Toronto, as they have Bosh and Villanueva.

By the way, Garbajosa's hiring is a good hint: Toronto is not going to pick Bargnani. Why do you think they traded Bonner?

Greetings from Spain.

Wow, he would have had 13 to 15 points per game in Phoenix? I highly doubt that.

And nice job with the Bargnani prediction, how did that work out for you?

clarkdogg
Undrafted

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 01:22:51 pm »

I thought Garbajosa was a shooting guard.  Are you sure he's a low post player?

edit:  Okay, he is listed as a F/C, but he's also listed at 205cm which comes out to 6'7".  That's why I thought he was a wing.
pachero
Undrafted

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 03:24:56 am »

Quote from: "Joshua"

Greetings from Spain.

Wow, he would have had 13 to 15 points per game in Phoenix? I highly doubt that.

And nice job with the Bargnani prediction, how did that work out for you?

Have you seen him play? Maybe you are one of the people who said that Gasol was going to be the next Shawn Bradley just because his frame. Many Americans who only see American basketball said that in many forums. European NBA fans know much more players and how they adapt.

Hahahaha, it's so easy to speak when the things have happened... If you have said that I was wrong before the draft, then you would have some credit...
pachero
Undrafted

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 03:35:10 am »

Quote from: "clarkdogg"
I thought Garbajosa was a shooting guard.  Are you sure he's a low post player?

edit:  Okay, he is listed as a F/C, but he's also listed at 205cm which comes out to 6'7".  That's why I thought he was a wing.

6'8''= 203 cm

6'9''= 206 cm

So he's nearly 6'9''.

He has never played C in Europe, he is a strong PF with nice inside/outside game, and a cluch shooter if given the chance. And, as I said before, he isn't afraid of contact in the lane.

And when NBA players realize that he's a great 3P shooter, he will fake and slash to the basket... let's see here if his speed is enough for the NBA.

That's because I said that in a team like Phoenix that plays an open basketball, he would be a 13-15 PPG man if given 30 minutes of play. No doubt about it.

Regards.
pachero
Undrafted

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 03:55:17 am »

HEY JOSHUA!!!

I've just seen it...

How does the Villanueva trade work out for you? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

As I said, one way or another, the Raptors are making moves toward giving minutes to Garbajosa at F. It's basically the same move I was saying.

Please respond.
Joshua
Journeyman

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 08:21:21 am »

HEY JOSHUA!!!

I've just seen it...

How does the Villanueva trade work out for you? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

As I said, one way or another, the Raptors are making moves toward giving minutes to Garbajosa at F. It's basically the same move I was saying.

Please respond.

You can't honestly think that a Europen player that is of average talent at best would come over and score 15 points per game. But to be fair, my grandmother could score 10 points per game in the Phoenix system with Steve Nash running the point.

Honestly, I don't see where the minutes are gonna' be for this kid. Bosh is going to be logging a good amount of playing time, and I think they are gonna' throw Bargs right into the fire, and he will play lots of minutes in his rookie season.

Lets just face it, the kid doesn't mit in Toronto at this point.

pachero
Undrafted

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 02:25:56 pm »

Actually, Garbajosa isn't a kid... he's 28 years old (29 in December)

You don't sign an international player that age unless he's really good and you're gonna give him some minutes. Or unless the GM is going nuts, or a really bad one. I don't think so, as Colangelo knows very very well Garbajosa because both worked at Benneton Treviso. And Colangelo work in the last time is very good, isn't it?

Maybe Nesterovic finds himself in the bench in February if he doesn't play hard, which is one of his liabilities.The only thing in which Rasho is better than Garbajosa is size. Not shooting, nor defense, nor experience; of course, nor attitude.

I know many of you think he doesn't fit, and that's why I posted this thread, I really think he will be one of the surprises of the next season. His basketball IQ will make him earn important time of playing.

By the way, he received interest from 3 or 4 teams in the NBA, he just chose Toronto because they were the most interested team; I guess Calderón has something to do with this, too.

I don't know why you are not excited about landing a player of Garbajosa's caliber, maybe you're jealous of the fact that, nowadays, European white players are waaaaaaaaay better than American white players. Let's face it.

Toronto fans, a future favourite is coming to you.

Regards.
lakerfanryan8
Starter

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 02:27:35 pm »

Who knows Colangelo seems to be doing a little but of evrything at this point.

lakerfanryan8 is on the "Greg Oden will be a bust bandwagon."

IceX2
Undrafted

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 03:06:22 am »

I believe Garbajosa will fit well in Toronto if BC is really going to sign him.  Perhaps he could log about 15 mins a game?  I don't know.  The games in NBA is not evolving and players' positions are crossing over.  The way a couch put his players on the court is more likely depends on the players' ability instead of position.  I won't be surprised to see Garbajosa backing up all 3/4/5 position depending on the matchup.  For a team that has a reputation of being soft, Garbajosa should bring some toughness as well.  Plus he can has shooting range which seems to fit the Raptors' system.  Not a bad option in my opinion.
The Magician
Undrafted

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 09:55:16 am »

Quote from: "IceX2"
I won't be surprised to see Garbajosa backing up all 3/4/5 position depending on the matchup.

In my opinion Garbajosa is too slow to play 3 in the NBA...but he can play 5 when you play small ball...so he will back up 4 and 5 position.
lastsoul
Undrafted

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 04:13:33 am »

charles barkley played PF with 6.0 (192cm) he said 198cm but he really height 192cm. he can. garbajosa could play as SF, and sometimes he does, but... he is a PF.
p8
Undrafted

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 06:59:06 am »

he´s a PF. No way in the world he can play true SF in the NBA.
Also he relies 80% of his game on shoothing 3. I hope he has NBA range
he shoots great from downtown in spain  (21 feet line) and drives to the hoop when the defender comes out for the block.
He will have no problem playing PF or C on D since he is rough. he probably is the only one with some balls in the Raptors frontcourt right now (I havent seen the italian kid play ).

The NBA is by no means out of his reach. He can be a player there with a good coach. He´ll get his minutes. RC knows him and knows he can make it.

The NBA lacks true big man so much that Garbajosa woud have no problem playing 20 minutes as Bosh or Nesterovic backup

Love

P8
clarkdogg
Undrafted

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 02:20:35 pm »

Quote from: "lastsoul"
charles barkley played PF with 6.0 (192cm) he said 198cm but he really height 192cm. he can. garbajosa could play as SF, and sometimes he does, but... he is a PF.

Every undersized power forward since Barkley entered the league has tried to say they could do it because Barkley could.  No one has ever lived up to that claim.  Sir Charles was just one of a kind.
YuYo
Undrafted

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 05:49:57 am »

He's a really good player. Here in Spain he player as PF, but in NBA I think he may play as a F or short PF. Very physical player with an awesome shoot from the outside.

He has also played with JM Calderon in the National team, which is a plus.

Other player to take a look is Sergio Rodriguez (signed by Blazers). Very quick and smart PG. 20 years old. AKA "Spanish White Chocolate" and often compared to the Jason Williams who played in Sacramento. Still needs to improve in defense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: