Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2010  (Read 2593 times)
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

Respect: 0

« on: August 29, 2008, 09:22:25 pm »

Are we really players in that FA? According to hoopshype we will only have 15mil on the books, not including any extensions to Foye or McCants or the rookies we'll get in the 2009 draft (or perhaps even Petrovic's contract), but still we could have upwards of 30mil available. So are we going to have an impact in it or are we just another team with capspace that probably won't get anything out of it?

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:22:21 am »

HoopsHype is not that up to date. They don't include "175% cap holds" on free agents. The cap hold is required for Bird Rights.

Check here: http://www.canishoopus.com/pages/contract-info

So according to this, we're -4 million next year BUT I doubt Jason Collins will be a keeper, so exluding his 9.3mill cap hold we'll have around 5 million of cap space. That's less than the mid-level = that's garbage.

Thus, trading Brian Cardinal for an expiring should be a priority. If we move his 6+ million, we'll have 11-12 million under the cap, which is enough to sign a player (that's close to Josh Smith numbers!).

Just... who? Granger is going to get matched by Indiana no matter what, Iguodala is already off the market which leaves us with Marvin Williams (whom the Hawks won't be happy to let go, unless vastly overpaid) and who else put there, that could fit in our long term plans?

Oh, I also assume that to move Cardinal we'll have to include Foye or McCants.
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 03:35:25 am »

I was under the assumption that cap holds can be waived by teams giving up the rights to their players. I'm guessing this since to get more capspace the Clippers had to waive the rights to several of the players and if that had no affect on the capspace then why do it. So several of those cap holds can be gotten rid of, but then again I'm not 100% sure. The only person worth going for IMO that we could possibly reach would be Joe Johnson, but then again there's not alot of great odds at getting him. I think we should just continue to build through the draft and sign veterans with that capspace to compliment our young guys.

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 05:11:19 am »

Well, sadly we won't be big players in 2010 because of bigger market teams like New York and New Jersey snagging premiere players. Joe Johnson... I also think he would be great, but there will be others willing to pursue him.
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 06:00:50 am »

Would you agree about keep building through the draft then? Also, one thing we haven't thought about is that there may be teams will to do salary dumps to pursue these FAs. With alot of space we might be able to snag something good ala Camby to the Clippers

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 07:44:44 am »

Like who? I guess it would be a deal in the 6-10 million range (like Mike Miller's)... who's there...
Well, one player REALLY intrigues me. Gerald Wallace aka G-Force from the 'Cats.

There are injury concerns about him and he has a loooong deal. But I don't see many FA's willing to come here and if we are to build through the draft and trades a guy like him might be available for an expiring next year (Collins) and a youngster like McCants AND one of our lower 1st rounders (Boston? Utah?)... that would reunite Rashad with Felton and May and give them a much needed backup C, while we get the do-it-all possible All-Star (if healthy) to pair with our core at SF. Wow, that would be a steal.
OJ_Mayonnaise_Fan
Undrafted

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 10:18:40 am »

We should get A.I. I'm just dreaming.  Cool
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 04:01:39 pm »

Quote from: "czaras"
Like who? I guess it would be a deal in the 6-10 million range (like Mike Miller's)... who's there...
Well, one player REALLY intrigues me. Gerald Wallace aka G-Force from the 'Cats.

There are injury concerns about him and he has a loooong deal. But I don't see many FA's willing to come here and if we are to build through the draft and trades a guy like him might be available for an expiring next year (Collins) and a youngster like McCants AND one of our lower 1st rounders (Boston? Utah?)... that would reunite Rashad with Felton and May and give them a much needed backup C, while we get the do-it-all possible All-Star (if healthy) to pair with our core at SF. Wow, that would be a steal.

That'd be a great deal but it depends on a few things:
1. Morrison's health and overall development. Even if Wallace wants out, if there's no one there to fill the void he's not going anywhere.
2. McCants is looking to be significantly overpaid or is demanding starting minutes. If he hasn't improved his defence and either of those things happen, in my mind he becomes expendable.
3. It'd have to be Utah and that's no lower then 23 which still may not be enough. They need something back for someone like Wallace and unless they get rid of Carrol they wouldn't be able to pay for Rashad, nor i'm thinking would they want to. At the least McCants will want the entire MLE and since that's what they're paying Carrol, I don't know
4. It would be a steal. Imagine a lineup looking something like:
PG: Randy Foye
SG: Mike Miller/draft pick (Demar DeRozan :wink:)
SF: Gerald Wallace
PF: Kevin Love
C: Al Jefferson
That lineup would easily compete, though I might be beating a dead horse if i say that keeping Mayo would have been a better option then just creating another problem with the Jefferson-Love tandem. Draft night should have looked like: OJ Mayo, DeAndre Jordan, Mario Chalmers. Chalmers is the defensive backup PG to hit open 3s, Jordan is there for height until he develops and Mayo is Mayo. I wouldn't even care about next year's draft, but i'll stop. Can't keep reliving it (atleast until NBA 2k9 comes out)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: