Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: duncan vs. garnett  (Read 9382 times)
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 10:35:57 pm »

Quote from: "94by50"
Quote from: "kingdumcome"
at that time there was not much expected from international players,at that time i think stojakovic and nowitzki were the only international guys who prospering.so this bloom was not expected out of parker nor ginobili,they were picked very low in the draft.the other guys duncan had were rose who only knows how to hussle,smith who could barely guard anyone anymore stephen jackson who was a journeyman when he came to the spurs,steve kerr,kevin willis,ferry(they were all old and slow) and bruce bowen who could barely shoot freethrows and could only shoot corner threes also cant drive to the hoop.but the guys mchale brought were more "marquee" than the guys who came to san antonio.so garnett initially had better teamates but duncan ended up having better teamates because they had so much success as a team.

I would say that Robinson, Ginobili, and Parker are better than anyone Garnett has ever played with (maybe you can make an argument for Cassell, but I wouldn't), and Bowen's such a good defender (which of course doesn't show in the stats) that they can live without his offense.  They get enough offense from the big three.  As for the rest, well, every team has role players.

i agree, other than cassell, kg never really had that much help

Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

Respect: +2

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 06:04:46 am »

maybe duncan had more help than garnett did,i just have a lot of pride as a spurs fan

a spurs, knicks, greg oden fan
a-dre
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006, 05:58:45 pm »

Quote from: "t-mac357"
Quote from: "94by50"
at that time there was not much expected from international players,at that time i think stojakovic and nowitzki were the only international guys who prospering.so this bloom was not expected out of parker nor ginobili,they were picked very low in the draft.the other guys duncan had were rose who only knows how to hussle,smith who could barely guard anyone anymore stephen jackson who was a journeyman when he came to the spurs,steve kerr,kevin willis,ferry(they were all old and slow) and bruce bowen who could barely shoot freethrows and could only shoot corner threes also cant drive to the hoop.but the guys mchale brought were more "marquee" than the guys who came to san antonio.so garnett initially had better teamates but duncan ended up having better teamates because they had so much success as a team.

I would say that Robinson, Ginobili, and Parker are better than anyone Garnett has ever played with (maybe you can make an argument for Cassell, but I wouldn't), and Bowen's such a good defender (which of course doesn't show in the stats) that they can live without his offense.  They get enough offense from the big three.  As for the rest, well, every team has role players.

i agree, other than cassell, kg never really had that much help

now that i think about it, kg did get some good talent around him: billups, marbury, brandon wally, cassell, spreewell.

the real difference would be the coaches, the gms, and the system.
94by50
Star

Respect: +1

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2006, 07:11:01 pm »

Quote from: "a-dre"
now that i think about it, kg did get some good talent around him: billups, marbury, brandon wally, cassell, spreewell.

the real difference would be the coaches, the gms, and the system.

Billups: was OK, but not as good as he is now (certainly not MVP-caliber).
Marbury: was overrated his first couple years, and also not nearly as good as he is now.
Brandon and Wally: decent but not great players.
Cassell: the one good year he had, the Wolves actually went somewhere in the playoffs.  When he got hurt the next year, they fell off.
Sprewell: also overrated at the time, not to mention old, and certainly not the player he was with Golden State (his best years).

And if that's the best the Wolves have done getting Garnett help, then it's no wonder they've never done anything.

td21
All-Star

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2006, 04:42:45 pm »

well kg is no doubt more athletic and exciting but tim knows more about the game. i know kg is 12 years deep but i think his mind is in other places on the court. tim is the best and most dominating power forward to ever set feet on earth and anyone who wants to debate or got a problem bring it to me. Cool
legenderypete
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2006, 06:05:42 pm »

it hard to say whos better , garnett is better all-round but he dosent have the finesse,post play or strength of duncan but has other qualities like dribbling and deep shooting. But picking one of the 2 is moreless impossible because both have strong case's and both should be Hall of Famers.
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2006, 06:12:04 pm »

both will be hall of famers, trust me

Journeyman

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2006, 10:12:23 am »

Garnett has better stats, but I would pick Duncan to build a champion team around him. Better chemistry with other players, he realy doesn t care about his own statistics, maybe also more coachable (that is my feeling) etc.
And three rings are three rings....
k_garnett21
Undrafted

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2007, 10:23:38 am »

Don't forget the coach...

hisdudeness32
Journeyman

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2007, 07:21:14 pm »

It's like the classic Russell/Chamberlain debate. Titles or numbers? Right now, I take Duncan, because in the playoffs, there is no one you can trust more than him. He steps up for every big game. There is no better clutch player than Tim Duncan. No, not clutch shooter, clutch player. Garnett was screwed over by Timberwolves management, and, who knows, with a better team, he might have some titles too. But, he doesn't. So, I go with Tim Duncan over Kevin Garnett, but still a very tough decision.

Shine on you crazy diamond
Lupe
Undrafted

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2007, 04:11:41 pm »

I'd go with Duncan, for one he is a better defender. Due to Duncan being a lot heavier he can hold his ground a lot better than Garnett can against bigger, physical opponents. Also Kevin's stats are a little bit inflated, he plays on a bad team(that's more of McHale's fault to be fair). Tim Duncan on his MVP campaigns produced stats comparable to Garnett's stats(also Duncan is given less minutes now to save him for the playoffs). In terms of playoffs Duncan's stats are far more impressive, and that's when IMHO stats do matter. Duncan also enforces his will better on the offensive side, they both draw double teams but Duncan does it more on a regular basis than Kevin does, thanks to his more traditional post game. In terms of defense in regards to shot-blocking and stealing combined Garnett would seem to have an upperhand, but a shot-block is by far more intimidating than forcing a steal. It makes players second-guess on attacking the paint. Overall I think that Tim is the better player because he has way more impact on the game than Kevin does.
paygan247
Journeyman

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2007, 06:46:11 pm »

It's Duncan until somebody like Phoenix rescues him from the Netherlands.
td21
All-Star

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2007, 07:54:38 am »

Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

Respect: +2

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2007, 11:27:22 am »

nice find. i miss the dominant TD years

a spurs, knicks, greg oden fan
td21
All-Star

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2007, 01:06:03 pm »

nice find. i miss the dominant TD years

i know, i miss last week too. Cool