Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: duncan vs. garnett  (Read 9318 times)
andyandy!!
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 06:07:57 pm »

did you see what happened to duncan last night? lebron just went up and pushed him aside like a rag doll!  :shock:

Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

Respect: +2

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 10:50:21 pm »

duncan is better beacuse he has been able to anchor a team who has 3 championships without a really good supporting cast.kevin garnett is more talented but never got out of the first round until his eighth try.

a spurs, knicks, greg oden fan
SunsRock101
Star

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 10:58:42 pm »

Quote from: "kingdumcome"
duncan is better beacuse he has been able to anchor a team who has 3 championships without a really good supporting cast.kevin garnett is more talented but never got out of the first round until his eighth try.

wow, you seriously don't know much about basketball :lol:

I don't listen to critics. So you can keep doubting me, but I don't hear you.
Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 03:26:24 am »

wow, you seriously don't know much about basketball :lol:[/quote]

think about it.check who has been kg's and duncan's teamates over the years

Pervis Ellison
MVP

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 05:47:53 am »

look at garnetts teamates over the years,joe smith,-a no.1 overall pick,wallyworld-a high draft pick,terrell brandon a seasoned vet.averaged 19ppg 7 apg for two years,was even traded for kemp!chauncey billups another high draft draft pick,bobby jackson.he even had sprewell,cassell,hudson,olowakandiand hassell during 03-04,in which they only finished two games above san antonio.duncan's teamates over the years-washed-up with an ailing back david robinson,ailing sean elliott,old man avery johnson.tony parker was drafted 28th overall at age nineteen,ginobili a second round pick,look how they blossomed alongside duncan,not to mention bruce bowen.guys who blossomed alongside garnett...none no offence to garnett

Pervis Ellison
MVP

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 05:57:32 am »

Quote from: "andyandy!!"
did you see what happened to duncan last night? lebron just went up and pushed him aside like a rag doll!  :shock:

cmon,he didnt even challenged,he just stood up there looking for a charge

94by50
Star

Respect: +1

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 09:35:59 am »

look at garnetts teamates over the years,joe smith,-a no.1 overall pick,wallyworld-a high draft pick,terrell brandon a seasoned vet.averaged 19ppg 7 apg for two years,was even traded for kemp!chauncey billups another high draft draft pick,bobby jackson.he even had sprewell,cassell,hudson,olowakandiand hassell during 03-04,in which they only finished two games above san antonio.duncan's teamates over the years-washed-up with an ailing back david robinson,ailing sean elliott,old man avery johnson.tony parker was drafted 28th overall at age nineteen,ginobili a second round pick,look how they blossomed alongside duncan,not to mention bruce bowen.guys who blossomed alongside garnett...none no offence to garnett

You just said that Garnett had a guy like Olowokandi to "help" and in the next sentence said that Duncan had, among other things, a "washed up" David Robinson.

In Duncan's rookie season, Robinson went for 21 and 11 per game.  Even in Robinson's final season, being "washed up", he averaged 8.6 ppg.

Olowokandi's career average is 8.5 ppg.

Duncan might be better than Garnett, but that's not the way to prove it.

cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 02:36:26 pm »

Quote from: "94by50"

You just said that Garnett had a guy like Olowokandi to "help" and in the next sentence said that Duncan had, among other things, a "washed up" David Robinson.

In Duncan's rookie season, Robinson went for 21 and 11 per game.  Even in Robinson's final season, being "washed up", he averaged 8.6 ppg.

LOL kingdumcome your a fool, clearly you don't know who Ginobili, Parker, and David Robinson, among others, are. Half the players you listed beside Garnett are crap.

Soon....
Pervis Ellison
MVP

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 06:24:47 pm »

LOL kingdumcome your a fool, clearly you don't know who Ginobili, Parker, and David Robinson, among others, are. Half the players you listed beside Garnett are crap.[/quote]

yeah,they turned out to be crappy,but i'm trying to prove that garnett had more significant help than duncan because they were rated so high at the time.robinson was 33 something when duncan came along and he had surgery,he definitely wasnt the same,parker and ginobili were nobodys they just worked so hard to make their mark.garnett didnt have so much help either,but at the time joe smith and terrell brandon were more than just anybody smith was a no.1 pick averaged 20 points in one year,szcerbiak even became an all-star

Pervis Ellison
MVP

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 06:31:40 pm »

Quote from: "cselby"

LOL kingdumcome your a fool, clearly you don't know who Ginobili, Parker, and David Robinson, among others, are. Half the players you listed beside Garnett are crap.

and dammit i watch david robinson since i was a kidd,he's one of my idols on and off the court

zunami
Star

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 06:42:56 pm »

Quote from: "cselby"

and dammit i watch david robinson since i was a kidd,he's one of my idols on and off the court
that doesn't change the fact that you made a really crappy argument even if Duncan is better.
Pervis Ellison
MVP

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 07:03:34 pm »

i dont know,i just see things differently than everyone else

94by50
Star

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 07:30:03 pm »

i dont know,i just see things differently than everyone else

I guess so.  Look, you could be right.  Duncan might be better than Garnett.  But why are you judging the two players based on "who blossomed alongside them", rather than on how good they are?  Look at the best players each of the two guys has had to play with.  Garnett's had one year of Sam Cassell, two good years of Terrell Brandon, and a few average seasons from Wally Szczerbiak.  Duncan had four or five good seasons from the Admiral, at least three good years from Ginobili, at least three good years from Parker.  That's why San Antonio's been better than Minnesota - they've had more good players.

As far as Ginobili, he didn't blossom alongside Duncan.  He was the 2001 Euroleague MVP.  He was on the 2002 World Championship All-Tournament team with Yao and Nowitzki.  He was already a great player before he ever played for the Spurs.  Same for Parker, who was the French league's rookie of the year in 2001.

Pervis Ellison
MVP

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 08:39:03 pm »

at that time there was not much expected from international players,at that time i think stojakovic and nowitzki were the only international guys who prospering.so this bloom was not expected out of parker nor ginobili,they were picked very low in the draft.the other guys duncan had were rose who only knows how to hussle,smith who could barely guard anyone anymore stephen jackson who was a journeyman when he came to the spurs,steve kerr,kevin willis,ferry(they were all old and slow) and bruce bowen who could barely shoot freethrows and could only shoot corner threes also cant drive to the hoop.but the guys mchale brought were more "marquee" than the guys who came to san antonio.so garnett initially had better teamates but duncan ended up having better teamates because they had so much success as a team.

94by50
Star

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 08:56:23 pm »

at that time there was not much expected from international players,at that time i think stojakovic and nowitzki were the only international guys who prospering.so this bloom was not expected out of parker nor ginobili,they were picked very low in the draft.the other guys duncan had were rose who only knows how to hussle,smith who could barely guard anyone anymore stephen jackson who was a journeyman when he came to the spurs,steve kerr,kevin willis,ferry(they were all old and slow) and bruce bowen who could barely shoot freethrows and could only shoot corner threes also cant drive to the hoop.but the guys mchale brought were more "marquee" than the guys who came to san antonio.so garnett initially had better teamates but duncan ended up having better teamates because they had so much success as a team.

I would say that Robinson, Ginobili, and Parker are better than anyone Garnett has ever played with (maybe you can make an argument for Cassell, but I wouldn't), and Bowen's such a good defender (which of course doesn't show in the stats) that they can live without his offense.  They get enough offense from the big three.  As for the rest, well, every team has role players.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Jump to: