Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Trade That Can Happen  (Read 3904 times)
HoopWizard
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« on: October 13, 2008, 10:56:14 am »

With Chris Cohan and the Warriors starting right into the face of the luxury tax, you can bet that big contracts will be moved before the trade deadline. Here's an idea that would help both teams.

The Warriors trade Al Harrington, Stephen Jackson and Brandan Wright to the Lakers for Lamar Odom and Chris Mihm.  

Wright has been surpassed by rookie, Anthony Randolph, on the depth chart.   Its looking more and more that Wright will remain in the Nellie doghouse.  Harrinton is a no brainer as he salary and production just don't add up.   Jackson is the one I'd hate to lose, but he's need to make the salaries match up.  This would make the Lakers an even better team with a line up of Farmar, Bryant, Jackson, Gasol and Bynum with Harrington off the bench.  Its not like the Warriors will be competing against the Lakers for a championship anytime soon.    If Odom works out, then he may be re-signed for a decent price.  With Mihm and Foyle's money off the books, that gives them about $8.5M in savings.

Line up (With Ellis Healthy)

PG Ellis - Williams - Watson
SG Belinelli - Nelson - Morrow
SF Maggette - Azubuike - Dowell
PF Odom - Randolph
 C Biedrins - Mihm - Hendrix
sjboy
Star

Respect: +4

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 03:17:41 pm »

If the Warriors trade Stephen Jackson, they trade away the heart and soul and leader.

It would set back the franchise 4 years minimum.

Odom is not a leader. EVER.
HoopWizard
Undrafted

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:58:21 pm »

I totally agree with you that Odom isn't a leader nor is he a franchise type player.  But he's still a good player. The most valuable asset with Odom is his expiring $11M contract.  If the Warriors can then re-sign to something close to the MLE ($5-7M), then thats an additional $5M the Warriors dump.  If he doesn't work out, then you don't re-sign him and you have $11M to play with in a much deeper free agent market next Summer.  Jackson is on contract for 2 more years, so I'm not sure how that would set this team back 4 years.   Jackson will be 33 years old when his contract does expire and he'll more than likely goto a contender and doubt he'll want to play for the Warriors beyond that.  In the end, its about saving money which is the main concern for Cohan...not winning.
French-Kobe
Star

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:30:19 am »

Quote from: "sjboy"
If the Warriors trade Stephen Jackson, they trade away the heart and soul and leader.

It would set back the franchise 4 years minimum.

Odom is not a leader. EVER.

Agree....Jax is their captain!

Acrimony
Journeyman

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 08:13:21 pm »

Chris Mihm wtf? are you serious?

Odom is versatile, but not as much as jack, Harrington and wright on a bad day. Horrible trade.

Zander
Hall of Famer

Respect: +269

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:12:37 pm »

Harrington and Wright for Odom alone sounds decent. But the Warriors probably want to keep Harrington, so I'm not sure if they'd go. Then that destroys the deal from the Lakers end.

Sig by bbyao06
HoopWizard
Undrafted

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 10:56:41 pm »

I read a lot of posts from a fan's perspective such as the ones I got from my post. What people don't realize is that those players could get traded for a lot less.  Mihm? Yes, he's a serviceable center that can back up Biedrins for the time being, but his main value is his expiring $2.5M contract. That may not seem like much, but its the difference that the Warriors could use to avoid the luxury tax.  Odom? $11M off the books at the end of the season.  Pretty good savings and a player that can really mentor Randolph and fit into Nellie's system.  Harrington and Jackson combined makes about $18M next season, but do they make this a playoff team? Probably not.  As a fan, one never wants to see a trade happen that is marginally lopsided, but in the end, this is Chris Cohan and you can bet he'll do everything he can to avoid the luxury tax.  Remember he traded away Richardson for a draft pick to get out of it.  He failed to sign Arenas because of it. He traded away Jamison because of it.  He let Baron Davis, who was this team's best player in over a decade, walk away because of it.  You don't think he'll sacrifice Harrington, Jackson and Wright? Think again my friends.
cod23
Undrafted

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:09:58 am »

Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson have no problem if they get traded (only if the Warriors are willing to trade them).  However, Brandan Wright is not the best idea to trade because the Warriors need big men who can rebound the ball and play some low post defense.  Lamar Odom is good for the Warriors because he can play power forward and contribute to the team.  Does he have the will to rebound the ball like Brandan Wright and Anthony Randolph?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: