Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Raptors fire Sam Mitchell!  (Read 23410 times)
Supa
Starter

Respect: 0

« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2008, 05:14:35 pm »

Quote from: "blackmist_1"
I can't think of none, but its not that far into the season yet, and its not mid-season yet either. I always went by all-star game being the mid point of the season, but if i'm wrong forgive me. One big time coach that comes to mind that turned around a team is Larry Brown in detroit......heheh now i'm chuckling because A.I is there now and they are doing poor. but not to get off topic theres an example.

Larry Brown went to the Knicks in the off-season.  So.. Wrong.

My point is, it never happens.

Want to know why? Because coaches like to put their own stamp on a team and implement the system they want to during training-camp and the pre-season.  

Find an example, or stop saying we should hire a "big-name" coach now.
blackmist_1
Benchwarmer

« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2008, 05:17:43 pm »

Quote from: "Supa"
I can't think of none, but its not that far into the season yet, and its not mid-season yet either. I always went by all-star game being the mid point of the season, but if i'm wrong forgive me. One big time coach that comes to mind that turned around a team is Larry Brown in detroit......heheh now i'm chuckling because A.I is there now and they are doing poor. but not to get off topic theres an example.

Larry Brown went to the Knicks in the off-season.  So.. Wrong.

My point is, it never happens.

Want to know why? Because coaches like to put their own stamp on a team and implement the system they want to during training-camp and the pre-season.  

Find an example, or stop saying we should hire a "big-name" coach now.

So you think firing Sam Mitchell was the right choice at 8 wins and 9 loses?

Micheal Jordan > Then ALL
and Now his life force flows through Kobe Bryant

shot outs to: '***'  < For hooking Me UP!
Supa
Starter

« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2008, 05:21:18 pm »

Has nothing to do with it.

And no, I do not think it was the right thing to do.  Not because I loved Mitchell, but because I think he should have had a bit more time to turn it around, and because I think changing coaches now will probably screw us for the season.
blackmist_1
Benchwarmer

« Reply #168 on: December 07, 2008, 05:25:37 pm »

Has nothing to do with it.

And no, I do not think it was the right thing to do.  Not because I loved Mitchell, but because I think he should have had a bit more time to turn it around, and because I think changing coaches now will probably screw us for the season.

Okay, I don't think he should of been fired, but the thought came up in my mind and it was discussed numerous of times, but his life line should of been extended for him to get the chance to turn things around. Apparently thats not the direction the Raptors organization wants to go. With firing him at 8-9, they want immidiate winning results.

Zad
Star

Respect: +3

« Reply #169 on: December 07, 2008, 05:38:24 pm »

should have
could have

dude I think you better treat forum as your lab..
blackmist_1
Benchwarmer

« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2008, 05:56:40 pm »

Quote from: "Zad"
should have
could have

lol, more of the low blows, well I can't disagree that good spelling and grammer is important so i'll keep that in mind. Thanks for contributing to the discussion as well....actually STFU and GTFO.

xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

Respect: +4501

« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2008, 06:18:51 pm »

Hi there.  Please find me one example of one time that a "big name" coach signed with a new team mid-season.  That is all.

Larry Brown did it with the Clippers.  HOF coach Alex Hannum did it.  George Karl did it a few years back with Denver.  Don Nelson did it his first year in Dallas.  Scott Skiles in Chicago.  Lenny Wilkens in NY.  I think that's more than enough to show that it's not unprecedented.

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
blackmist_1
Benchwarmer

« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2008, 06:24:07 pm »

Quote from: "xduckshoex"

Hi there.  Please find me one example of one time that a "big name" coach signed with a new team mid-season.  That is all.

Larry Brown did it with the Clippers.  HOF coach Alex Hannum did it.  George Karl did it a few years back with Denver.  Don Nelson did it his first year in Dallas.  Scott Skiles in Chicago.  Lenny Wilkens in NY.  I think that's more than enough to show that it's not unprecedented.

Oh thanks  Cheesy

Supa
Starter

« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2008, 07:12:48 pm »

Good stuff xduck.  

Wilkens I wouldn't really consider a top-tier coach when he went to NY, and Skiles is suspect as well.

However, Brown and Nelson fit the bill.  I was wrong.
Chuck Diesel
Starter

« Reply #174 on: December 08, 2008, 04:06:33 am »

Look you fixed most of your spelling. Was that so hard? Mitchell should have been fired.

1. Because we're not going to do anything this season with or without him and a shakeup was necessary.

2. Because he's really not a good coach. He runs simplistic plays and his guys can't rebound or defend worth a lick.

3. SHATS

4. Timeouts/ Plays out of timeouts.

Avery Johnson won championships as a player bro, not as a coach. By that measurement Jordan should have been the greatest owner in the history of the nba but in actuality he's as useless as anyone.

Triano wouldn't be in my top 1500 coaches to replace Mitchell but it makes sense to wait until the off-season when a lot more quality coaches will be interested. In the meantime you can't judge him on 2 games. He needs at least 2 months to change the teams habits towards his style.
Zad
Star

Respect: +3

« Reply #175 on: December 08, 2008, 06:30:09 am »

Quote from: "Zad"
should have
could have

lol, more of the low blows, well I can't disagree that good spelling and grammer is important so i'll keep that in mind. Thanks for contributing to the discussion as well....actually STFU and GTFO.

nothing to add since I agree with you on just let Mitchell do on what he's getting paid to do.

immediate
Big Fundemental
Starter

Respect: +39

« Reply #176 on: December 08, 2008, 12:28:01 pm »

This is probably the last time I'm going to respond to this, but simplistic plays? Jerry Sloan ran a pick and roll for like 20 years. He's a genious. Mitchell does it, he's an idiot.
Chuck Diesel
Starter

« Reply #177 on: December 08, 2008, 02:59:30 pm »

Yes and that Utah was very good defensively and they had these 2 dudes known as Stockton and Malone. That team also used Hornacek to perfection, something Sam couldn't do with Kapono to save his life.
Big Fundemental
Starter

Respect: +39

« Reply #178 on: December 08, 2008, 04:34:47 pm »

Hornacek >>>>>>>> Kapono. And I'm well aware of Sloan's defense, but I just don't see how people criticize Mitchell for simplicity when they praise Sloan for the same thing.
blackmist_1
Benchwarmer

« Reply #179 on: December 08, 2008, 05:18:25 pm »

Quote from: "Chuck Diesel"
Look you fixed most of your spelling. Was that so hard? Mitchell should have been fired.

1. Because we're not going to do anything this season with or without him and a shakeup was necessary.

2. Because he's really not a good coach. He runs simplistic plays and his guys can't rebound or defend worth a lick.

3. SHATS

4. Timeouts/ Plays out of timeouts.

Avery Johnson won championships as a player bro, not as a coach. By that measurement Jordan should have been the greatest owner in the history of the nba but in actuality he's as useless as anyone.

Triano wouldn't be in my top 1500 coaches to replace Mitchell but it makes sense to wait until the off-season when a lot more quality coaches will be interested. In the meantime you can't judge him on 2 games. He needs at least 2 months to change the teams habits towards his style.

This was your best post of your life. I can tolerate Triano for a season I think, although I don't want to. I rather just get Avery now if that was possible. No it wasn't hard at all thanks.

Quote from: "chuck diesel"
Yes and that Utah was very good defensively and they had these 2 dudes known as Stockton and Malone. That team also used Hornacek to perfection, something Sam couldn't do with Kapono to save his life.

Very true, and wow haven't  that name hornacek in awhile! I don't think they show him enough love. It always seem like the a Big 3 team rather then just a stockton/malone team.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Jump to: