Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Raptors fire Sam Mitchell!  (Read 23559 times)
Prime Time
MVP

Prime Time Productions

Respect: +2

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 09:25:43 pm »

Quote from: "Supa"
You can tell it isn't Bosh because he doesn't prattle on like a moron.

lol talk about misreading.. wow i am soo sleepy.. I thought you said welcome back to the boards. aha

ballers101
MVP

Respect: +116

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2008, 09:27:37 pm »

Theres lots to like about the team.  It does not mean I have to like everything that they do, or treat BC like a basketball messiah.  

It is better to be realistic.  It is also good to have fans that will not support the team when it is faring poorly.  This gives management an incentive to improve the team.  If you have a franchise that makes tons of money regardless of how they do in the standings, you get the Clippers.

Much of this is true. Realistically we will get an assistant coach, and that will be probably in the offseason. This team lacks depth at many key positions, even if the starters play well, they get fatigued and the bench guys just don't do anything so it causes us to lose many of our games. If i was colangelo i would try and lure bostons assistant coach, the secret to there success, but again our team has a problem luring big ticket players and coaches as we're in canada
MoGrady
Hall of Famer

Air Canada Carter

Respect: +1031

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 09:39:50 pm »

Avery Johnson anyone!?

Thank you Turbozone, BBYao for the sigs.
Kyle_G
a.k.a. Cbosh4awin & Reptar
MVP

Respect: +1198

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 09:41:37 pm »

I originally thought of Avery Johnson, But to the best of my knowlege he's on a contract with ESPN, for the roundtable discussion. So even if he was intruiged i don't think he'd be permitted to.
Supa
Starter

Respect: 0

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 09:44:21 pm »

Avery is permitted to, but he would be giving up the salary from Cuban if he takes a new job.
Pistol55
Star

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 09:54:09 pm »

Lets just bring Kevin O'neil back and we can hire babcock as his asistant.
Kyle_G
a.k.a. Cbosh4awin & Reptar
MVP

Respect: +1198

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2008, 09:59:34 pm »

Yeah im sure Rafael Araujo is around too..
I just watched an interview with BC Link below, He makes it pretty clear he wants to go with Triano this season.

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/teams/raptors/rweb-081203-matbc.asx
Biggs
Benchwarmer

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2008, 10:16:29 pm »

i agree with most of you guys that its a risky move.  but as far as coaches i think stan van gundy, or eddie jordan would be ideal candidates for our team.  another sleeper pick i would love to see back with the raps is brendan malone.

MoGrady
Hall of Famer

Air Canada Carter

Respect: +1031

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2008, 10:32:31 pm »

Hm... I don't know actually guys, I don't know if Mitchell should be blammed anymore. JO said it after the game in Denver, he said Coach Mitchell shouldn't be blamed because it was the players playing, not coaches. And this being JO's first season with us, I don't think he wants a firing from his head coach. Okay, I don't know how to explain it but I don't know if this was the move that shakes things up. We needed to do something about our players on the team, not the coaching staff.

Thank you Turbozone, BBYao for the sigs.
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

Respect: +4501

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 11:05:21 pm »

Quote from: "Cbosh4awin"
I have absolutely nothing against jay triano, but if we want to rack up some wins and attempt a run in the playoffs, we need a proven coach.

And as I have pointed out in other threads, you generally do not sign a proven coach mid-season.   I cant think of a single example.

Which means this year is likely a wash, unless Triano is some sort of super-coach.  Which means we're headed for a one and done, or near miss of the playoffs (both of which will get us basically nothing in the draft).  

So that gives us 1 year.  1 year to show Bosh that we're building towards a contender.  

He is as good as gone imo.

So he would have been more likely to stay with the Raptors maxing out at 45 wins and first round exits with Mitchell?  I don't think so.  At least this way the Raptors are showing him that they want to win.

This was overdue, Mitchell is just not a good coach.  Maybe he will be some day, but the Raptors can't wait around for 7 years while he develops into a good coach, they have to make moves now.

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
Zad
Star

Respect: +3

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2008, 12:48:47 am »

Im with Supa on this one(Not as far as Bosh as good as gone though)

I think its partly BC's fault with this years make up but then again maybe Mitchell had a say in the trades
spanishraptor
Benchwarmer

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2008, 07:47:42 am »

You guys are forgetting the most important thing. It's not a "I smoke some crap and I'm gonna make a Babcock's move", it's a "I'm the best general manager and I've got 2 or 3 plans in my mind Colangelo move". I'm sure BC has alredy talked with someone to coach the team, he has never liked Mitchell and since the first loss of the season he wanted to fire him. I'm absolutely sure (or at least I hope so) that Colangelo will bring a great coach. I also thing he'll make a move to get a nice wing player.

xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2008, 10:16:27 am »

I think Colangelo definitely has a coach in mind, and I think he has a history of hiring some pretty good coaches.  He gave Scott Skiles his first coaching job, he hired Danny Ainge and Mike D'Antoni and I believe he had a hand in hiring Paul Westphal as well.  He's changed coaches during a season 4 times, 3 times it resulted in 50+ wins in the new coaches first full season.

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
Raptor182
Journeyman

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2008, 11:28:15 am »

I think a change was needed. Colangelo clearly didn't fire him on a whim. He has a plan. We need a coach with a winning culture, someone with a winning experience. I liked Mitchell but this is the third slow start in three years and we should be winning. Triano will likely finish the season and will stay on the staff even with a new coach (if it's not him). I said 5 years ago that Triano should get a chance to coach. Maybe I'm biased because he's Canadian and he's from Niagara Falls which is pretty much were I grew up.

I would love to see Jeff Van Gundy in Toronto. Tom Thibadeau would be great but who would leave the Celtics now? D'antoni would be great but it's too late for him. Ivaroni would be decent, but I think Memphis is confindent in him right now. I do think Triano should be given fair consideration for the job. He might of only been kept around because he's Canadian, but he has the creditionals. It will be interesting to see, that's for sure.

xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2008, 11:45:43 am »

Triano is great, I think he would be able to coach the uptempo system that Colangelo obviously wants.

But no to Van Gundy.  The guy would be an awesome assistant but he has no imagination on the offensive end at all.  I've been a diehard Knicks fan for years and I can say with almost 100% certainty that Van Gundy would not be able to get the Raptors a title.  Yes, he would be an improvement over Mitchell, but the Raptors shouldn't settle for someone who's going to net them 50 wins and a first round exit.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up

Jump to: