Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Raptors fire Sam Mitchell!  (Read 23554 times)
bapper
Star

Respect: +7

« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2008, 12:14:24 pm »

there have been a lot of ppl saying you dont hire a coach mid season and i couldn't agree more, but this is hardly mid season it is not even 20 games in! I do think that BC will be bringing in a coach how soon i dont know.

And as far as bosh leaving cuz smitch is gone is absolutely ridiculous itss about being a contender, smitch wasn't getting us there just bcuz he is the only coach bosh has had since coming into the league means nothing, they know it is a business. Bosh and Ford were good friends.. did bosh wanna leave after ford was traded? No. So it's ridiculous to say that Bosh is prob going to leave now b/c Mitchell was finally canned
bapper
Star

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2008, 12:23:58 pm »

Okay ignore my first statement, Triano will coach the rest of the year i just watched the BC interview. So i will be the first to say i was dead wrong haha
Raptor182
Journeyman

Respect: 0

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2008, 01:22:29 pm »

Clearly there must be a coach BC wants to go after that might have an expiring contract or something this year. I bet he wants to see how things play out in Memphis to get his buddy Ivaroni north of the border, which I wouldn't be oppossed to though I think there are more experienced head coaches capable of the job. Clearly they need a coach who has experience, Mitchell had no previous head coach experience, neither did oneill. they finally got a GM with experience, lets get a legit head coach too. I think Peddie and the rest of the board will pony up the cash if need be.

Supa
Starter

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2008, 01:23:58 pm »

Quote from: "bapper"
did bosh wanna leave after ford was traded? No. So it's ridiculous to say that Bosh is prob going to leave now b/c Mitchell was finally canned

It has nothing to do with the relationship with Smitch.  It has everything to do with not making progress this year.
Supa
Starter

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2008, 01:31:32 pm »

Quote from: "Raptor182"
Colangelo clearly didn't fire him on a whim. He has a plan.

Colangelo's plan:

Step 1) Draft the 5th best guy in a draft with the number 1 pick.

Step 2) Give Smitch a 4 year extension, but secretly plan to fire him.

Step 3) Blow MLE on guy who can shoot 3's but cant do anything else, when what we really need is a slasher who can create his own shot and defend.

Step 4) Trade backup point guard, and do not buy any late first round draft picks to get a new point guard (aka Chalmers).

Step 5) Fire Sam Mitchell, as per step 2.

Step 6) Ride out season with middling team while CB4 dreams of playing with LeBron.

Step 7) One and done baby.

Step 8 ) Another middling season, with a new crappy draft pick.

Step 9) Bye bye Bosh.  Time to hand the keys to Il Sucko so he can score 20ppg 5rpg 2ast on a 20-62 team.
Supa
Starter

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2008, 01:37:18 pm »

Just to add to what I was saying about BC.  I like BC, what he did to our team was nothing short of amazing.  But it is essentially fool's gold.   We're teetering on the brink of rebuilding because we have no assets.  We cashed in too early.

BC's first year B- (would be an A+ if he had drafted better).  Since then C+ (would be an F except for O'Neal who I think is mostly worth it).

Here is my theory:

Colangelo came in and immediately found us hidden gems in Parker and Garbo,  solid cheap vets who could play smart and win games.  How did he get these guys?  Did he discover them magically when he arrived at Toronto?  No.  

These guys were on Phx's radar for ages, but since Phx was loaded at the time, they could not incorporate them into the roster.   So when BC comes to TO he picks them up.  

BC's only really good move was TJ for CV.
Kyle_G
a.k.a. Cbosh4awin & Reptar
MVP

Respect: +1198

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2008, 01:40:41 pm »

Ye of little faith.
If anything BC has a reputation to uphold, he's made some pretty terrible decisions in the past i agree to that, and other then picking Barns all of your points are fairly accurate. But its not 2010 yet. Bosh still has 2 seasons to decide what he wants to do and alot can change in two seasons.
Barns could develope leading to a good relationship
Jose cold reach the allstar status
Oniel could return to full form thus creating a 1-2 punch
Bc could finally pick up that wind player we desperately need

I mean, lots of these things are highly unlikely i wont argue that, however, in two years time anything can happen, so its ridiculous to speculate Bosh leaving already, were only 17 games into the season, the only thing to do now is wait and see, who knows JT could be the answer were all looking for.
Supa
Starter

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2008, 01:50:48 pm »

Joey Graham could turn into a 20-10 guy.  
JK could learn defense and how to penetrate without traveling.
Roko Ukic could turn out to be better than Jose.
Kobe Bryant will opt out of his deal and then sign with us for the minimum.

Sure I agree that these are highly unlikely, but I'm on drugs and I like to live in candyland.
Kyle_G
MVP

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2008, 02:00:02 pm »

Ahah.. fine.
All i'm saying is i'd rather be cautiously optimistic apposed to completely giving up. We have two seasons left. As long as Bosh is playing we have a chance to win every game. Lets wait a few games to see how the seasons going to unfold.
bapper
Star

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2008, 02:00:54 pm »

Do you guys remember the raps b4 collangelo came here? We sucked ***! how do u think we got the 1st pick!? Collangelo has took this team from a joke to a legit team! How can u hate on the guy who has put canada on the map in basketball.(Well besides Nash)
Raptor182
Journeyman

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2008, 02:11:22 pm »

I still trust BC more then I ever trusted Babcock. BC is willing to take risk. Not all of them work out. Bargs hasn't developed as much by now, but he's making great strides this year. He may be inconsistent this year but its better then being consistently bad like last year. It's unfair to write the oneal trade off. it's only 17 games in. yeah, he's one of he biggest contracts in the league, but it's expiring in the big free agent class of 2010 so it gives the teams more options (and more room for bosh). when he has played, he's played well.

edit: don't get me started on grunwald.

Kyle_G
MVP

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2008, 02:18:28 pm »

I most defineatly agree.
It would appear some of us have forgotten how dreadful the babcock era was..  Were only one game under .500 its not like the seasons a complete right off, we just have to make it to the playoffs and let bosh and oneil go to town. Atleast BC isn't afraid to make the appropriate move when it needs to happen, if he had waited it probably would of just lead to more and more losses.
Supa
Starter

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2008, 02:20:09 pm »

Quote from: "bapper"
Do you guys remember the raps b4 collangelo came here? We sucked *****! how do u think we got the 1st pick!? Collangelo has took this team from a joke to a legit team! How can u hate on the guy who has put canada on the map in basketball.(Well besides Nash)

BC took this team from a joke to a mediocre one and done team.

Most of our success came from Bosh (not BC's decision) and Calderon (not BC's decision) and Wayne Embry's masterful mugging of Isiah Thomas.

Yes he is better than Babcock.  My Mom is.  Everyone is.   BC has to be judged on his own, not in comparison to the s*ittiest GM of all time.
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

Respect: +4501

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2008, 02:26:24 pm »

Quote from: "Supa"

Step 6) Ride out season with middling team while CB4 dreams of playing with LeBron.

Step 7) One and done baby.

Step 8 ) Another middling season, with a new crappy draft pick.

Step 9) Bye bye Bosh.  Time to hand the keys to Il Sucko so he can score 20ppg 5rpg 2ast on a 20-62 team.

So that's the worst case scenario.  I think it's far more likely that the Raptors improve with their incompetent former coach out of the picture and some decent talent already in place.

I don't think people understand how much the Raptors underachieved last year.  They were the 9th best offensive team in the League and 13th best defensive team and they were somehow only .500?  A good offensive, average defensive team should be able to win more than half of their games.  As a point of comparison, the Nuggets were 10th in offense and defense and won 50 games.  The Cavaliers won 45 games with the 19th offense and 11th defense.  The Hawks were 16th and 18th, respectively, and they were only 4 games behind the Raptors.

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
Supa
Starter

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2008, 02:31:20 pm »

Shouldn't that tell you something about defense?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up

Jump to: