Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wolves fire Randy Wittman!  (Read 2778 times)
bobbyfourfingers
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« on: December 08, 2008, 11:10:20 am »

The Minnesota Timberwolves today announced that the team has relieved head coach Randy Wittman of his coaching duties. Kevin McHale will take over the head coaching responsibilities of the team on a full-time basis from this point forward. McHale, who has served as vice president of basketball operations since May 11, 1995, will step down from that role with the team in order to concentrate on his coaching duties.

from http://www.insidehoops.com
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:12:54 am »

Yup, yup. More PT to the youngsters, less corpses in the rotation and we should be at least 'better'.
streethistory
Undrafted

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:13:46 am »

Finally.  This is reported through ESPN now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3754151

shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 02:42:31 pm »

While I'm happy about this iam skeptical about how much it's going to change. It's obvious our players weren't even putting in the effort and the roster is horribly constructed. It will be good to see more playing time for Love but outside of Carney who else deserves to get more playing time?

Rashad McCants has fallen out of the rotation for good reason, Brewer is hurt and Smith is so undersized he's automatically a defensive liability.

But as long as we don't see Brian Cardinal playing any minutes from now on.

streethistory
Undrafted

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 01:35:21 am »

Quote from: "shangrila"
While I'm happy about this iam skeptical about how much it's going to change. It's obvious our players weren't even putting in the effort and the roster is horribly constructed. It will be good to see more playing time for Love but outside of Carney who else deserves to get more playing time?

Rashad McCants has fallen out of the rotation for good reason, Brewer is hurt and Smith is so undersized he's automatically a defensive liability.

But as long as we don't see Brian Cardinal playing any minutes from now on.

Well with McHale you'll see a change in rotation.  McCants especially will see more time.

And McCants shouldn't fall out of rotation as he's THE ONLY PLAYER ON THE TEAM THAT CAN CREATE HIS OWN SHOT.  Just because you continue to feed Jefferson doesn't mean Jefferson can make his own shot.  Jefferson is almost as big as a black hole as Kris Humphries was when he was a Gopher.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 03:54:13 am »

McCants got benched because of his poor shot selection and effort. If neither changes then it won't matter how good he is at creating his own shot.

Skippy
a.k.a. superCoolBeas & slapCHOP & Dwyane & Skipster & Metta World Peace
Hall of Famer

LIKE A BOSS

Respect: +950

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 05:17:01 am »

?  Smiley

LET'S GO HEAT.
streethistory
Undrafted

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 03:03:01 am »

McCants got benched because of his poor shot selection and effort. If neither changes then it won't matter how good he is at creating his own shot.

Well it looks like McHale wants McCants to play.  Started 2 games straight since coming on as coach and playing him a lot more minutes.  And if watch close enough you'll notice McHale had Foye call plays for McCants.  You know all them shots he took against the Nuggets were set plays.  Also watch how the Wolves screen, McCants and Gomes do most of the low post screens.  They wing plays they are come off screens for each other.

You know ESPN praise Stephen Curry for his huge last 5 minutes were he score nearly all his points but nearly failed to mention he shot 5 for 22 in the 1st 35 minutes of that game (Tuesday Night).  He was 1 of 13 shooting.  Yet when MN announcers tell you McCants has bad "Shot Selection" then you over react.

Realize every basketball player normally has "bad shot selection."  Jordan was probably the worse.  When you average as many shots as points you score, most likely you took at least 5 bad shots in every game.

Also you have to know the coaching philosophy.  Last season and early this season, Wittman wanted McCants to shot, and often.  Now it's, those are bad shots.  No the difference is McCants lost confidence and has been rushing a lot of open shots.  Last season he was hitting those open jumpers. Just give it time.  He'll be back.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 03:14:07 am »

There's a difference between shooting a 3 with a hand in your face and trying to hit a fadeaway jump shot with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. I didn't come to the conclusion that McCants had horrible shot selection through ESPN. All I did was watch us play.

Which brings me to the point that McCants needs to be traded. He just doesn't get it. The entire team gets lowered when he's in the game and it's hard to watch.

But I'll give him alittle more time before I start talking about trading him. I'm  sick of people selling out Brewer already so I might as well not be hypocritical and support our guy that's fallen on hard times. '

But was he even in our long term plans? What would we have done with him if we'd kept Mayo? Or if we draft a good shooting guard this year?

streethistory
Undrafted

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 03:34:46 am »

There's a difference between shooting a 3 with a hand in your face and trying to hit a fadeaway jump shot with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. I didn't come to the conclusion that McCants had horrible shot selection through ESPN. All I did was watch us play.

Which brings me to the point that McCants needs to be traded. He just doesn't get it. The entire team gets lowered when he's in the game and it's hard to watch.

But I'll give him alittle more time before I start talking about trading him. I'm  sick of people selling out Brewer already so I might as well not be hypocritical and support our guy that's fallen on hard times. '

But was he even in our long term plans? What would we have done with him if we'd kept Mayo? Or if we draft a good shooting guard this year?

Check what McCants did from All-Star break on last season when everybody was loving his game.  And the other night against the Kings.  He can score in bunches and last time I checked, that something a lot of players can't do.

McCants needs to get in games sooner and be looked too sooner.  We can't continually go Jefferson and Smith inside.  Look what the Kings did too us in the 3rd quarter especially after Jefferson lit them up in the 2nd.  McCants is a shooter and he's going to take shots.

And I wasn't saying you watch ESPN and determine your opinion.  I was using a example.  I've watched enough games to know that I'd rather have McCants shooting 3's than Ryan Gomes and Randy Foye or Telfair or Ollie.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 03:55:50 am »

McCants was versing scrubs when he started scoring against Sacramento so it's kind of a moot point. I think everyone's just realised that he's never going to beat you off the dribble and so if you play him close he struggles to create. But we'll see. I'm hoping more then anyone he can regain some of his form.

We Minnesota fans get attached to our lottery picks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: