Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wolves: what do you want to see?  (Read 4699 times)
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

Respect: 0

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 06:35:42 pm »

He's got connection to college coaches and such and he's not a bad coach.

But damn you're being harsh on Brewer. Yes he had a rough rookie season but he wasn't playing too bad this year until he went down with an injury. Give him some time before you call him trash.

In hindsight it's easy to point out second round stars and call FOs stupid for passing on them and if we picked Richards directly above either of them you'd have a point. But neither player got picked anywhere near Richards so calling only us out when 8-10 other teams passed on these players is stupid.

wolvesfan41
Journeyman

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 07:33:01 pm »

I'm harsh on Brewer because I can't stand his game.  To be a decent player in this league he needs to greatly improve his shot (horrible), ballhandling (extremely horrible), passing, strength (very weak) and I'll even throw in lay-ups (I've never seen a player miss 2 lay-ups in a game that were so far off that they didn't even come close to hitting the rim, I think it was the 2nd Sacramento game).  His defense is extremely overrated as well.  Wait all those things I mentioned above are what basketball is all about.

All I'm trying to say about the Richard pick is that we were obviously looking for a "big man". So what do we do; take a 6'8" replica of Craig Smith without the offensive game.  Gasol was 7 picks later but he was the next big man taken and was considered a late 1st early 2nd round pick.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 07:41:30 pm »

I don't know what to say. The second round is mostly a crap shoot and I guess they picked up Richards for his energy off the bench. Gasol probably would have been a better option but my point was that there were alot of teams that passed on him so obviously everyone was alittle down on him.

I'd say give Brewer some more time. He's going to go through rehab now where he can get stronger and he'll be able to work on his shooting for awhile before he's cleared for contact and eventually playing. My point is he should be much improved when he comes back. Things like shooting, ball handling and strength aren't hard to improve.

wolvesfan41
Journeyman

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 09:06:59 pm »

I think Brewer is a good kid and if he does improve on all of those things I will be very happy for him. He's just got a LONG LONG way to go.

streethistory
Undrafted

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 02:52:57 am »

Quote from: "shangrila"
I don't know what to say. The second round is mostly a crap shoot and I guess they picked up Richards for his energy off the bench. Gasol probably would have been a better option but my point was that there were alot of teams that passed on him so obviously everyone was alittle down on him.

I'd say give Brewer some more time. He's going to go through rehab now where he can get stronger and he'll be able to work on his shooting for awhile before he's cleared for contact and eventually playing. My point is he should be much improved when he comes back. Things like shooting, ball handling and strength aren't hard to improve.

Richards was a bad pick because we already had a player like him, Craig Smith.

And on Brewer.  If ball handling, shooting, and strength weren't hard to improve Brewer would have improved over the summer.  Instead he came back still unable to control the ball.  Ball handling is about controlling the basketball, something Corey cannot do.  Also if Brewer adds too much weight his lanky defense you like will be gone.  His whole entire game will change.  Corey Brewer is trash on a young up and coming squad.  Brewer on the Spurs, Suns, Cavs, or the Celtics would be a much better fit.  Just like Trenton Hassell when the Wolves had KG, Spree and Sam.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 03:49:50 am »

Are you kidding me? He upped his FG% from 37.4% to 41.1% and his 3pt% from 19.4% to 41.7%. He'd made 5 3s this season already compared to 7 total last season and we weren't even through 20 games. His jumpshot has been much improved. Even just watching him you can see that his jumpshot looks smoother and he's got more confidence in it. He obviously put some work in it.

I'd say Richards and Smith were different at that point. Smith was an undersized low post player with little defence while Richards lacked an offensive game but was a pure defensive and hustling guy. All we wanted from him was to grab rebounds and he didn't do too bad towards the end of last season.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Jump to: