Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2009 free agents?  (Read 1966 times)
Danimals
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« on: December 28, 2008, 12:12:09 am »

Are there any 2009 FAs you want the Wolves to pursue? Why? I personally don't see anyone I want us to go after, but maybe I'm missing someone.
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 02:23:35 am »

Maybe someone like Marvin Williams but this FA class isn't a good one for a rebuilding team. Better we just sit it out and focus on 2010.

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 05:40:47 am »

Ben Gordon? *shrugs*
Danimals
Undrafted

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 10:46:45 am »

I thought about Marvin Williams but I think we'd have to overpay because he is a RFA. And I don't think SF is our biggest need. I definately do not want Ben Gordon. He is a sixth man. I just can't see a team winning in the playoffs with him as their starting 2. He is an absolute liability on defense. He is also an amazing scorer with no PG skills, but that combination means sixth man.
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 01:37:41 pm »

I know, that was intended to show how crappy the 2009 pool is.

We have two glaring needs:

- scorer in the backcourt = SG (I'd say PG and shift Foye to SG, but I can;t see any good PGs out there)

- defensive center = C (and I mean a real C)

So, the draft has both. James Harden is the SG. Hasheem Thabeet is the C. But we can't get both, unless someone is going to trade a top-5 pick to us for the Miami pick + good assets (Miller, Foye, Brewer?). Which equals NOT HAPPENING.

I'd rather go for Harden. We passed up on Roy and Mayo and we cannot afford passing up on him. The day we draft and trade him I am going to cut myself loose off this team I think. He is a beast, he should be a Timberwolf.

There are a lot of good-sized post players that could fill a void in our frontcourt. I believe we have the assets to trade for the likes of Joel Przybilla (if Oden breaks out) or DeSagana Diop.

So, once again. If we land #1 (impossible, Stern will give it to Clay Bennet) we should draft Blake Griffin, trade down to snag Harden + assets. Maybe even with Oklahoma.

#2 is obvious - James Harden.

If we land lower and Harden will be already taken, we should go with Hasheem Thabeet and look for a backcourt starter with the Miami pick (Collison, Lawson?).

If both Harden and Thabeet will be off the board by the time we pick (like 4, 5 or lower) then we should just kill ourselves.
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 03:18:06 pm »

eh centre is not a huge need for me right now. We've got Pekovic waiting to come over and I want to have a nice cushy starting centre position ready to lure him over with.

I wonder how much Oklahoma would give for a shot at Griffin. Their pick + Jeff Green maybe. Or maybe some deal where we swap Boston's pick for the (likely) better San Antonio pick while we're swapping lotto picks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: