Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NFL Draft, what are your team's needs?  (Read 8496 times)
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

Respect: +180

« on: January 26, 2009, 02:41:37 am »

Okay, I figure there'll wind up being a lot of topics over the next couple of months about the NFL draft, so I'll go ahead and start the talk with a thread about what different teams need. I'm no expert on every team, but there's certain teams that I know enough about that I can talk about.

Chicago Bears - There's a lot that needs to be addressed. First off, the offensive line, which they wasted a pick on last year (turned out the guy had a real bad back), so it's doubtful if Williams will ever be anything. So an offensive tackle, guard, or center would be nice for the Bears to get. Another need is a pass rushing defensive end. Mark Anderson seems to have completely lost whatever he once had, and the Bears pass rush suffered greatly because of that. Next up would be a shut-down corner, or really a corner at all. Nathan Vasher also doesn't have it anymore, and really was almost a liability to have out there at times this year. Given he was hurt, but it's been a couple of years since he's really been much of anything. Peanut Tillman is still a good corner on the other side. Next up, a wide receiver. If there's good WRs available at their spot in the first round, I say that the Bears should go after them, since there's good talent at the WR spot in the first round. Only WR projected in the first round that I'm not a big fan of is Maclin, since when given real competition from a secondary he folded, but I don't think he'll even make it that far into the draft.

Detroit Lions - Anything and everything. Okay, well, not everything, but there's a lot that needs to be improved. It all starts with the base of the team, the offensive and defensive lines. If I'm the Lions, I pass on Stafford, there's just a little bit of a risk involved there, and the Lions need to be going for a sure thing, and Eugene Monroe is as close to a sure thing as a very good offensive lineman as I see in the draft. I'm just not positive that Stafford will be a very good NFL quarterback. Outside of that I can't think of a position that the Lions couldn't use help on in one way or another. I'd have to say that their best spot is at Wide Receiver, just because they have possibly the most physically gifted WR in the league right now.

San Francisco 49ers - It's gotta be the quarterback spot first and foremost for them. They have a good draft spot at #10 and no real good quarterback. Alex Smith looks like he was a bust for them, but they shouldn't be afraid to go after a good quarterback with their first pick. Sanchez or Freeman would seem to be the best options, I'd go with Sanchez if I was them, I think he has the ability to really be a very good quarterback, and I can't see the Niners passing on him if he falls to them. Freeman also looks good, but like with Stafford (who will surely be gone by then), I have my doubts. Other areas where the Niners need to improve is cornerback, offensive line (I'd say mainly tackle), and they could really use something like a pass rushing defensive end, linebacker, or even defensive tackle. I'm actually less sure than I was a month before the season ended with what they needed, only because it seems like Singletary with his wild pants-dropping schemes has actually gotten a lot more out of what they have.

Denver Broncos - When's the last time you've heard anyone say that the Broncos really need to develop a running game? ....Well? Seriously, answer me! Okay, fine  Roll Eyes . Anyway, as for skill positions, it's pretty obvious that if Beanie Wells falls to them, the Broncos go after him. When you have that good of a pick, unless it's a top of the class position player at that spot that you're drafting, or a position that's in dire need of help, you go with the skill guy. Beanie Wells, followed by Knowshon Moreno. LeSean McCoy is another good guy, but at that point I think the Broncos would rather either go to another skill position or go with a very good offensive lineman if there is one available. That brings me to my next need, offensive line, which is starting to look bad for the Broncos. I almost feel bad for guys like Nalen who were there when they had such a great line, and now have to sit around and watch a line that crumbles with every play. It really must be teh ghey and not be t*ts for him. Anyway, yeah, build up that line. Defense is a whole clusterf*ck of problems, so I'll just summarize and say pretty much everywhere has a need for assistance. Corner doesn't look to bad with that dynamic duo that the Broncos have (unless one of them is going to be leaving the team this offseason, I really have no idea), but health problems do worry me there. Like with everyone else, they should start with their problems by working on the base at the defensive line first and work their way up the pyramid from there.

Oakland Raiders - Wow, I almost called them the LA Raiders. Anyway, this is one of those cases like, with the Lions, you go after that desperate need. Besides, the Raiders don't really have a bad situation at all with their running back situation, and I still think that JaMarcus Russell will wind up being an excellent quarterback. Therefore, go ahead and go after the offensive lineman here, that's where they really need the most help at. They can't pass or run block right now, and with the #7 pick they should have no problem finding someone who really can, and even as a lineman can make a big difference in their team. Outside of that, defensive line can use a bit of tweaking, but the Raiders do have a very good defense already. The only way I see the Raiders not looking to build that offensive line in the draft's first round is if Michael Crabtree somehow falls to them, but I don't see that happening. If it does, then he could surely help the Raiders and they can build up that line in the second round and beyond. However, yeah, that offensive line is scary in a bad way due to how pathetic it is right now.

Minnesota Vikings - Quarterback!!! If Freeman's still available to them, then it'd be stupid of them to pass up on him in the first round. Outside of that, I could still see them being able to use a little more help up front on the offensive line (yeah, even though Peterson's already a world class back, he could be even better with better blocking), although the line's clearly not BAD. On defense their defensive line is great, but I could see a defensive back here or there being a help to the team.

Green Bay Packers - They could use an extra running back. In a 2 back league, Ryan Grant is good, but it's always good to have that second running back. Their defensive line is also going to need some help. I'd try to find a defensive end, first and foremost. If they could even have Brian Orakpo fall to them then that would make me really angry, but that's just because I'm a Bears fan, I do have my doubts though as to if he'll fall that far. On the corners they're going to start needing to think about getting some help there, and really as a whole in their defensive backfield. As for offense, they've got a killer group of receivers as well as a good running game (which I already addressed how it could get better), and the line is pretty good, but I feel like they could benefit from some sort of an addition at the tackle position.

Alright, if you think differently or if you want to throw any other teams in here or throw in a different perspective on a team that I've already gone over, then it's more than welcome. I'd like to see what other posters think on the issue of team needs in the NFL.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
Frosty13
a.k.a. sportmsc5
Star

R.I.P. Len "Frosty" Bias 11.18.1963-6.19.1986

Respect: +36

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:22:32 am »

Detroit Lions - Anything and everything. Okay, well, not everything, but there's a lot that needs to be improved. It all starts with the base of the team, the offensive and defensive lines. If I'm the Lions, I pass on Stafford, there's just a little bit of a risk involved there, and the Lions need to be going for a sure thing, and Eugene Monroe is as close to a sure thing as a very good offensive lineman as I see in the draft. I'm just not positive that Stafford will be a very good NFL quarterback. Outside of that I can't think of a position that the Lions couldn't use help on in one way or another. I'd have to say that their best spot is at Wide Receiver, just because they have possibly the most physically gifted WR in the league right now.

you hit the head on the nail, i dont want to see the lions take a QB this needs to be a rebuilding year, with there first 3 picks, #1 overall, #20 (from dallas) and the 1st pick in the 2nd round need to be all Olinemen or if they get lucky with  james laurenitits falling to 20

#1- Andres Smith - OT-Oklahoma
#20- James Laurenitits-MLB-Ohio State
#1- Max Unger/Duke Robinson - OT

Dynasty
MVP

Respect: +788

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:53:47 pm »

Indianapolis Colts-The first issue to be resolved is whether Marvin Harrison is coming back.  Not only does he have legal troubles in Philly right now but he is clearly a shell of his former self and is no longer a starting caliber receiver.  If he is willing to take a paycut, then I'd be perfectly willing to bring him back and use him in certain formations.  But since that is unlikely, and his cap number is huge, he'll probably be released.  This brings us to our first problem.  For years the Colts were known as this explosive, high-octane offense, and last year it was missing that extra element.  The first step to fixing that is getting our running game back on track, and hopefully Addai and Rhodes, plus a healthy Mike Hart can get back on track to their old former selves.  Also our offensive line was very inconsistent, but much of that had to do with inexperience and health.  If they can get healthy, combined with another year of experience, I'm sure they can get back to their old former selves.  With this running game situation though comes the play action back in the game, which of course Peyton loves, and it also takes off quite a bit of pressure on him as this season, he was pretty much forced to do everything. 

To help our receiver situation, this may be very controversial, but I honestly think it can work.  Trade Bob Sanders for a first round pick and try to get Michael Crabtree or Jeremy Maclin.  Call me crazy for wanting our best defensive player gone and for thinking we can get such a high pick, but hear me out.  Sanders is a great, great player.  But he is constantly injured and probably doesn't have very many years left of playing at this high of a level with all his injuries and eventually his size is going to catch up to him. This is in addition to having a high cap number and the emergence of Melvin Bullitt (who has better size and was arguably our best defensive player this year).  Nonetheless though, he still has a lot of value, and it was just a year ago that he was the defensive player of the year.  I'm sure some team needs a safety that's picking in the top 10.  Crabtree would be my first target, but I wouldn't mind Maclin either.  He isn't as polished of a pure receiver that Crabtree is but he is still a big-play threat, and provides a solid kick returner for us, something we haven't had in years.  If they can't get a top 10 pick, possibly trade Sanders for something in the mid-late 1st round plus some other later round picks and try to get somebody like Hakeem Nicks or Brian Robiskie.  We need another great receiver cause it makes teams put less attention on Reggie Wayne, Anthony Gonzales, and Dallas Clark.

Finally, we need a big defensive tackle who can stop the run, command more attention so Freeney and Mathis can get to the quarterback, and not force our db's to constantly play close to the line.  For years the Colts have failed at finding this.  Corey Simon was a huge free agent bust, and ditto for the trade of Booger McFarland.  Ed Johnson was a very nice young player but he had legal troubles and they cut him loose.  This needs to be the biggest priority for the team in the draft.  Terrence Cody seems right, but I don't know if he would really fit in the cover 2.  I'm not really an expert on the other defensive tackles available in the draft so I'll leave that up to Kiper, McShay, and Polian to figure out. 

Finally, the coaching change will be interesting to see.  Listen, I loved Coach Dungy.  But in a situation in which a coach as beloved as Dungy leaves, I think u need a new voice similar to what Pittsburgh did in Mike Tomlin after Bill Cowher retired.  I admit I was skeptical of Caldwell at first, cause I just assumed he was a Dungy clone, but I like him now because he seems a little more intense (one of my biggest problems was I felt Dungy was too soft on the team at times) and he got rid of Ron Meeks and his obsession with small defenders.  It will be interesting to see how much of the Tampa 2 system they retain and who they'll hire as defensive coordinator. 

Overall, I'm always going to be confident as long as Peyton Manning is in charge.  But the standards the Colts have set the past few years, it's pretty much Super Bowl or bust for them.  I'd imagine that they'd have a little more motivation next season after the way this season ended and with a new coach, but it remains to be seen whether they've made the moves necessary to make it to the Superbowl, rather than the typical 12 wins and 1 and done in the playoffs.
cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:20:36 pm »

Cincinatti Bengals - Wide reciever, running back, quarterback, offensive line, defensive line, MLB, OLB, cornerback, kicker, coach, and owner.

Soon....
Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

Twitter: @WholeEffeinShow

Respect: +723

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 03:22:51 am »

Pittsburgh Steelers- Offensive linemen! Their is talk of them trading up due to the drastic difference between the top 4 tackles in the draft and the rest of them. Beyond that, they are showing some age at corner and at Wide Receiver, but nothing that needs to be addressed right away.

RIP Madawg
czaras
All-Star

Respect: 0

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:19:41 pm »

Minnesota Vikings - Quarterback, quarterback, quarterback. Enough said. Yes, I know Pat Williams will be 37 soon, but he still has gas left in the tank... besides, we can address that need next offseason. For the time being; Tarvaris Jackson is bad, Gus Frerotte is a career backup. With at least a 'decent' quarterback this team could make serious noise in the playoffs. We're stacked elsewhere.
lil_flip_remix
MVP

Montréal, Canada

Respect: +1181

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 09:37:53 pm »

Cincinatti Bengals - Wide reciever, running back, quarterback, offensive line, defensive line, MLB, OLB, cornerback, kicker,
coach, and owner.

It's kinda hard to find a coach or an owner in the draft Wink

Flip is the only poster I trust enough to have added on Facebook haha. he also happens to be a beautiful man
MoGrady
Hall of Famer

Air Canada Carter

Respect: +1031

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 09:40:00 pm »

Washington Redskins - Sean Taylor

Sad

Thank you Turbozone, BBYao for the sigs.
wolvesfan41
Journeyman

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 03:33:24 pm »

Washington Redskins - Sean Taylor

Sad

+1

Falcons - DT, BJ Ragi would be a perfect fit

Titans - Depends on what Haynesworth does,  if he goes I think DT becomes an obvious concern.  If he stays then I think we need to look at WR.  Someone like Percy Harvin would fit in nicely.

RIP ER7trey
a.k.a. iBall EST & iHU$$LE EST & ER7-Trey folife
MVP

where Facial Hair happens...

Respect: +1

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 07:26:30 pm »

raiders we need a sam backer

for those of you who don't know thats strong side

left tackle and move harris to right

another wideout

maybe a safety but i think huff still has potential maybe move him to corner

and if nadmi leaves well need a corner

sig by bbyao06
legenderypete
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 04:58:32 pm »

bills , draft trades for more exprience and maybe a better 2nd reciever
Dynasty
MVP

Respect: +788

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:26:07 pm »

Well it is really nice to see the Colts recruiting Albert Haynesworth to Indy at the Pro Bowl.  I don't know if it's gonna happen, but nonetheless, something to get excited about.
B-Ca$h
Journeyman

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:40:33 pm »

Houston Texans- primary need is a Safety but there really isn't a viable 1st round option, so a DE opposite Mario Williams is where I'd like to see us go in the 1st round, and hopefully get a good safety in a later round.

Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

Respect: +180

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 02:23:13 am »

If Indy got Haynesworth, I'd pick them to win it all next year.

As for Houston, I think a safety would be a good pick for them, especially considering where they are drafting.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
steve
MVP

I've grown to hate you all.

Respect: +1110

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 12:57:27 pm »

I've seen Kiper having the Redskins taking the Defensive End out of Texas in recent mock drafts, which I'm fine with because they've needed help on the defensive line for like decade now.  They also need major help at linebackers and the offensive line (age and injuries), and I wouldn't mind another starting receiver.

Put my existence on this forum against yours.  Toronto makes the playoffs.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Jump to: