Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alex Rodriguez  (Read 4443 times)
kafogahoga
MVP

Respect: +297

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 11:55:22 pm »

I'm beginning to think that Jeter is the only great baseball player left. If he ends up a pusher I'm done with baseball.

Would take Hardaway over Payton in man to man defense.
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

Respect: +180

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 02:00:49 am »

yeah, given how many of these players are from the Yankees, you really wanna pick the Yankees? Then again, figuring how many of them are from some other teams, at least any Tony LaRussa led team is out of contention as well.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
chellis
MVP

Respect: +114

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 09:20:12 pm »

So why is it that when we hear about a NFL player taking steroids, the media and public do not scrutinize it to the same extent?

steve
MVP

I've grown to hate you all.

Respect: +1110

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 10:20:27 pm »

So why is it that when we hear about a NFL player taking steroids, the media and public do not scrutinize it to the same extent?
For a number of different reasons.  Most of the players that are being outed for PEDs, there's nothing baseball can do about it because it happened in prior years, so there's really no chance of punishment.  The last time you heard about a major NFL player using PEDs was Shawn Merriman (except for this season, although I'm not sure what happened with those players), the punishment was swift, he was suspended for a quarter of the season almost immediately.  Then there's the selective memory.  No one really talks about Giambi taking PEDs because he identified it and apologized for it (sort of) and people will probably not talk about Rodriguez much once the season starts (especially if the other names are released) because he confronted the issue in a similar fashion.  The names that people focus on are Bonds and Clemens for two main reasons.  One, they can't be punished for at least a few more years until they're eligible for the Hall of Fame (assuming they get snubbed), so people keep demanding for retribution that will never come.  Two, people really don't like Bonds and Clemens and want them to pay for what they did.  And the reason that they want them to pay is that both of them have taken a major hit at the mystique of baseball. 

This is the big point.  When an NFL player uses PED, he effects the game (marginally or not) but really, it's just a blip in history and doesn't really affect anything long term.  One of the most important parts to baseball's history and mystique is it's numbers.  Great hitters get 3000 hits, great sluggers get 500, great pitchers get 300 wins, so on and so forth.  These are benchmarks that are so linked with how great a player is.  But when a player like Bonds takes PEDs and all of sudden he's goes on a five year tear that puts him past the All Time Home Run record, Baseball's history now seem tainted.  The players that use PEDs have much more lasting effect on Baseball's history than those in any other sport.

Put my existence on this forum against yours.  Toronto makes the playoffs.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Jump to: