Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marcus Williams  (Read 2129 times)
nikeshen
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« on: June 30, 2006, 01:48:08 pm »

Sup guys,

As u all know, MW took a huge fall in the draft. I was extremly suprised, as I thought he would not fall past 15th pick. With his freefall in mind, I think Colangelo should've worked his *** off and tried to trade with one of the teams picking past 15th.

Looking at how little some of the late 1st round teams were giving away their 1st round picks for, BC could've easily struck a deal with one of those teams. Our second rounders or second rounders+cash/futurepick/Pape Sow comes are just some examples that come to mind.  

Maybe BC sees something bad in MWilliams that we all dont know, but I think MWilliams at such a late stage in the draft would be an absolute steal, a low risk-high reward trade that would've been perfect for this team.

Also, why do guys think MW took such a big fall?
bakax
Journeyman

Respect: +3

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 02:09:16 pm »

Probably a combination of Attitude, Laptop, Out-of-Shape, Cancelled Workouts got him the downfall.

Also, the fact that he is not atheletic and slow would scare some GMs off.  He pre-draft camp results proved him to be one of the worst PG in terms of atheletism.  After all, a lot of unatheletic people did not do well in the NBA.  His strenght is probaby passing, court vision, decision-making, and a bit of leadership (he carried the UConn team during the tourney a few times to keep them in the game.)  Those things are usually overlooked when evaluating talent.  Also, the fact that he appeared out of shape at the beginning of his workouts kinda put a red flag for GMs on his work ethics.  If a guy won't show up in shape for workouts before the draft (one of the biggest event in his life to get his 1st NBA contract), do you think he will show up in shape before training camp every year?  This is a big red flag as you can see a lot of players show up in camp out-of-shape, easily get injured over the season and eventually ruined their career.  

I don't really know about his attitude problem though other than the fact that he was caught for stealing laptops.

Personally though, I think Rajon Rondo, Kyle Lowry and Sergio Rodriguez may turn out to be better than Marcus Williams in a long run.  So I was really pissed that BC wasn't able to get the #27 pick for Rodriguez as it wouldn't cost us anything other than CASH.  I assume Suns just won't deal with BC.

Raptors + Rockets + Suns
socko
Benchwarmer

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 02:27:52 pm »

Williams is a good pickup for NJ, but not for us unless we were going to package him for something.  We need a starting PG, not a long term project.  We'd never make the playoffs with a Williams/Calderon combo at 1.  I think playing behind the hard-working, driven Jason Kidd will be a perfect situation for williams to learn that the NBA is more about focus than it is about selling hot computers and relaxing yourself out of shape.

Don't forget that like 20 GMs had a shot at Williams before he was finally taken...BC's not the only one who didn't want him.
nikeshen
Undrafted

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 04:03:32 pm »

1st off I agree with most of you guys thoughts. Regarding Williams as a project, I actually think he is as much ready for the NBA game as any regular rookie would be. Even if he is a bit of a project, BC would be giving up very little for him. Add to the fact that the Raps arent in a dire need to make the playoffs, along with our lack of PG depth, I believe the Raps is a very good fit for Williams.

The only major concern I have with him are the conditioning issues. Yes, being out of shape for the most important stage of your b-ball career is a big concern. On the other hand though, I think his assets (court vision, passing ability, high Bball IQ, etc. ) very much overweighs his weaknesses. And for the little price we would have to pay to get him, I think its a no-brainer and definitley worth the gamble.

Aside from that, I think the laptop thing is overplayed. The kid made a mistake, and I dont think its fair at all to judge him on that mistake.

- holla
bakax
Journeyman

Respect: +3

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 04:51:56 pm »

If we can get Marcus Williams for cheap, it would be great, but it's not happening.  

I think we should look into signing Jay Williams.  According to things I read up, the come back Jay Williams is even slightly better than Marcus Williams now.  He's more experienced and he seems to study the game a lot during his rehab.  I think he would bring approximately the same thing Marcus Williams would have brought to the Raptors.  Another key point is that he's here to restart his career, he seems to be a hardworker and determined to be the best player he can be.  This attitude is real good considered he's only 24 and he was a very good prospect before his injury.  Now that he may have lost some of his explosiveness and quickness, he is probably still as good as Marcus Williams in those area.  He also improved his court vision, BB IQ, passing game and tried to mold himself into a pass-first PG.  I am sold and would probaby offer him a 3 years+ contract for 3~4mil each year and see how he plans out.

Raptors + Rockets + Suns
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: