Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rashad McCants Traded to Kings  (Read 2566 times)
streethistory
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« on: February 19, 2009, 12:13:47 pm »

The Timberwolves and Kings have agreed in principle to a deal that will send Shelden Williams and Bobby Brown to the Timberwolves, two sources told ESPN.com's Chad Ford.

In exchange, the Kings will receive Rashad McCants and Calvin Booth, the sources told Ford.

The deal would give the Kings two players with expiring contracts and allow them to get Brown's 2009 salary of $736,420 off the books for next year.

For the Wolves, the addition of Williams would help replace Al Jefferson, who's out for the season with a torn ACL.

McCants was the 14th overall pick in 2005. He is averaging 9.1 points per game, but has appeared in only six games since Jan. 1.

Williams was the fifth overall pick in 2006 by Atlanta. He has never fulfilled the promise he showed while at Duke and is averaging just 3.7 points and 2.6 rebounds for the Kings.

ESPN.com NBA Insider Chad Ford and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3918672

Sacramento: One man's trash is another's treasure, and that's the theme of this deal -- one that sends three players with expiring contracts and a fourth on a minimum deal on a cross-country journey in search of a team that actually might want to keep them.

I like it better for the Kings because McCants is easily the most talented of the four. He can shoot, attack off the dribble and score on the block. Unfortunately, he's also been a knucklehead with an aversion to defense, and doesn't seem to have figured out that the other four guys on the court are available as a resource if he finds three defenders in his path. That's why the Wolves soured on him. But he's still young; the rebuilding Kings may be able to re-sign him on the cheap as a restricted free agent and see if he mends his ways.

The Kings also potentially save $736,420 by dumping Brown, who had a player option for next season. For these guys right now, every dollar counts. Grade: B+

Minnesota: The Wolves went sorting through Sacramento's scrap heap looking for a halfway decent big man to supplement their rotation, and if Williams can get in shape he could be an answer. He showed up 20 pounds heavy to Sacramento and never quite shed the extra baggage, but even so, he's put up decent numbers in his limited minutes. He'll audition for his next contract over the season's final two months; Minnesota would be able to keep him on the cheap if it likes what it sees.

Brown, who has had a rough rookie season, could potentially help answer Minnesota's need at the point. Plus, the Wolves exponentially increased their odds of a Marc Stein visit by adding the Fullerton alum. Grade: B-

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=TradeGrades-090218

Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

Twitter: @WholeEffeinShow

Respect: +723

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 03:52:29 pm »

I noticed this wasn't said about this trade, yet...

Good.

RIP Madawg
czaras
All-Star

Respect: 0

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:54:28 am »

Yup, I also was very happy for it to go down.

Bobby Brown seems intriguing as a PG, since he's a lowball contract I don;t mind him giving us backup minutes at PG.

I thought Shelden Williams would be a better starter at C than Jason Collins during the last stretch. I know he might be out of shape, but he's capable on D and has a big body able to stop guys Love has trouble with. *shrugs*
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: