Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 191   Go Down

Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 265871 times)
cselby
Hall of Famer

« on: February 26, 2009, 10:35:23 pm »

Earlier tonight I had about an hour conversation with my family about movies in general, what's good and bad, which actors suck and don't suck, and it got me realizing how much I enjoy talking about movies, and how they are such a universally accepted concept, that pretty much everyone has an opinion on them.

So let this be the thread to talk about movies.

What do you think are the best movies of all time? The worst? Good actors, bad actors, etc. anything!

My personal favourite movie of all time is 'We Were Soldiers.' I may be in the minority with that choice, but I think it's a great war movie with superb acting and some fantastic battle scenes. I've watched it over 5 times, at least. This was back when Mel Gibson wasn't a complete weirdo.

I think the worst movie I have ever seen was 'Open Water' which consists of 2 people treading water in an ocean for an hour and a half, with the occasional shark appearance. They both die at the end. If I ruined the movie for you, then good, you shouldn't see it anyway. Honourable mention to "Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever" which I'm not even sure I can consider a movie.

That should get this thread. started.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:13:48 pm by LKdude » Logged

Soon....
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 10:50:29 pm »

Lots of ground to cover, but I'll start with my favorite movie of all-time, UHF. It's a very stupid movie, but at the same time it goes to the point of where the stupidity is actually somewhat intelligent when you consider what's actually thrown in, especially with Michael Richards, who's brilliant in it.

Suspiria is another favorite. I'm an absolute Dario Argento junkie, and Suspiria is probably his most celebrated work. Deep Red, Opera, and Tenebre are other outstanding movies from him. It's basically Italian horror/slasher movies.

As for actors/actresses go, I could go on for days. For actresses, as much as I appreciate a good performance, it usually all comes down to how hot the actress is. As for actors....Bill Murray, Jack Nicholson, Morgan Freeman, Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Robert Downy Jr., Christian Bale, and Dennis Rodman.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:59:08 pm »

I don't know who the best actress is, but the worst and most overrated has to be Nicole Kidman. I refuse to watch anything she is in unless it's a GREAT movie, because I despise her and her cardboard personality so much.

My favourite actor is definitely Bruce Willis, ever since Die Hard, I can only ever picture him as John McClane. And John McClane kicks butt.

Seriously though, Bruce is a great actor. I also like RDJ, Sean Penn, and Morgan Freeman.

Soon....
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:04:03 pm »

The thing with Kidman is that she used to be by far the most sexy thing out there. I remember around 2000/2001 I had the biggest crush on her. She was not only hot, but just so sexy with everything she did. Since then it's taken a hard fall, but damn, I'd still pulverize that vag.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:13:42 pm »

LOL, yeah she's not bad looking but I just can't stand her. Her face is stuck in that one expression for life, and yeah, I just can't stand her in any movie she's been in, with the exception of 'Dead Calm'

Soon....
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:17:03 pm »

space jam is among the worst films ever made

cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 11:28:40 pm »

Bite your tongue!

Soon....
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 11:37:48 pm »

i finally saw pineapple express the other day.  way overhyped from what i saw.  wasn't all that.  although it was hilarious when his oldass went to visit his 18 year old gf in high school.  wtf

Fair enough.
Fair enough..probably the 2nd ugliest season I've ever seen from the Ravens.
Flacco kind of is a bum..Yeah I get that he isn't that good..
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 11:47:28 pm »

i finally saw pineapple express the other day.  way overhyped from what i saw.  wasn't all that.  although it was hilarious when his oldass went to visit his 18 year old gf in high school.  wtf

LOL, yeah, that scene is great.

"How about you go f*ck yourself you weird little pr*ck"

Soon....
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 10:14:31 am »

Has anyone seen 'Burn After Reading'  ? It's a great Coen brothers movie, recommended.

Soon....
UNIT
Hall of Famer

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 12:29:17 pm »

my love for basketball exploded after watching Space Jam at the movies... for a kids movie... it did its job for sure.
theBIG3
Starter

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 02:02:34 pm »

Favorite movie: I don't really have one since I like a lot of movies, but probably The Dark Knight, since I'm a big joker fan. Oh and I forgot celtic pride is also one of my favorite movies.

Worst movie: Batman returns probably my worst movie. Everything in it I hate.

Good actors: Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino, Christian Bale, Johnny Depp, Leonardo Dicaprio, Heath Ledger, Daniel Day Lewis, Philip Seymour Hoffman, RDJ, Robert Deniro, Dan Aykroyd ( Celtic Pride), Daniel Stern ( Celtic Pride) and more

Good Actresses: Don't really care
joshfarc
MVP

aka ThreadKILLA'

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 04:53:00 pm »

The thing with Kidman is that she used to be by far the most sexy thing out there. I remember around 2000/2001 I had the biggest crush on her. She was not only hot, but just so sexy with everything she did. Since then it's taken a hard fall, but damn, I'd still pulverize that vag.

"Eyes Wide Shut" oh yeaaaaa, Nicole Kidman's nice vag is all over that film......speaking of that film.....

Stanley Kubrick is the ultimate director...if I had to choose one I'd say Kubrick:
"2001: A Space Odyssey"
"A Clockwork Orange"
"Full Metal Jacket"
"Dr. Strangelove..etc"
"Nicole Kidman's Vagina....Eyes Wide Shut"
among many other great films....he was the shiiiiiiiiiit

My top epic/action/sci-fi old skool directors:
James Cameron(Terminator 1 and 2, True Lies, Titanic)
Steven Spielberg(Spielberg does it all.....)

Christopher Nolan(Memento, Prestige, the new Batmans)
Daryn Arrynofsky(Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain)
Paul Thomas Anderson(Boogie Nights, There Will Be BLood)
Danny Boyle(Trainspotting, Sunshine, and the overrated Slumdog Millionaire)
David Fincher(Fight Club, Seven, Benjamin Button)

Most underrated/underappreciated by the fans Director ever:
Terrence Mallick(Thin Red Line, The New World, Days of Heaven, Badlands)

I couldn't finish a list without names like: Francis Ford Cappola, Martin Scorcese, Sergio Leone(all fellow italianos) along with Ridley Scott, and how could I forget the tripped out films of Terry Gilliam and David Lynch.....I love the medium of film, as you can see

cselby I am a big film goer as well.  Burn After Reading was a pretty good film, definitely went under the radar last year.  That scene with Brad Pitt in the closet....the shock value.....fawkin awsome.

t-mac357
Hall of Famer

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 04:53:19 pm »

my love for basketball exploded after watching Space Jam at the movies... for a kids movie... it did its job for sure.

because it starred michael jordan or because it was actually a decent movie?

cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 04:57:41 pm »

Eyes Wide Shut is a terrible, terrible movie. She looks good in it but good lord it is awful.

And yeah, Pitt's character in the movie was awesome. The scene where he and Malkovich meet for the first time in the car was hilarious.

I did not like Thin Red Line...but the rest of the movies you listed are decent to great, Farc. Fight Club is one of my favourites.

Soon....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 191   Go Up

Jump to: