Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expectations for Gooden?  (Read 3323 times)
14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« on: March 06, 2009, 12:24:42 pm »

What do you see Gooden doing in a Spurs uniform?  I see him playing well, being put into the starting line up after a handful of games, and averaging around 10 and 8 for the rest of the season and in the playoffs.  Originally I thought this was just a rental and he would be gone after this year, but after seeing him address the media yesterday, I think he could be here for a while.  He brought up the idea of staying past this season himself, which was shocking to me. I see him staying for another couple of years, and with the help of Pop and Duncan he could turn into a 15 and 10 guy with improved decision making on offense and defense.
I could also see him signing a bigger contract after the season and being an above average player on a bad team again.
But what does everyone else think?

Quote from: 14Supernuts
I was wrong, and Josh was right the Spurs actually aren't good like the Suns.
#1 n only bullfan
Star

Respect: +9

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 05:34:23 pm »

I'm Really going to hate seeing him in a different uniform, i really like the guy. But at the same time it's good for him, because he is solid, and will give the spurs the extra boost to get the wins that are needed.

Think about it, he was able to average double, doubles with the bulls, now he knows that he has a chance to win a ring, and will give it his all. The spurs can surprise many, but i'm not only saying this because of gooden, and acting like gooden is a super star, because the type of game that he brings is needed in teams like, boston, cavs, lakers, spurs. Gooden has skills, can shoot the 18 footer, can post you up, and give it to you with a hook. The extra boost that he has in him, will help the teams i just listed make it pretty far, and maybe win it all. But now he is a spur. Good for him.

good things happened, for
those that wait.
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:53:21 am »

he could end up having a pretty big role, the spurs are aging and small in the frontcourt and gooden erases both issues, also playing alongside the spurs go-to guys he'd be allowed to play within his role and do the little things to help his team win big

Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

Respect: +2

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:30:54 am »

11 points 7 rebounds

a spurs, knicks, greg oden fan
14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:18:56 pm »

He finally got some game action, which was very unexpected  I had a double take when they showed him coming in the game.
He looked pretty good, was slower than normal laterally, but active on the boards which is really what they needed more than anything else tonight.  But what I saw in those 4 minutes was encouraging.

Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 09:34:00 pm »

by now, he must have learned all the plays. the system. but i think he is a bit slow. needs more conditioning

dezymond
Journeyman

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 12:35:21 am »

by now, he must have learned all the plays. the system. but i think he is a bit slow. needs more conditioning

he's still battling a groin injury. They did say it could have been serious enough for him to miss the rest of the season, but good news for the Spurs and better for him. If Gooden gets comfortable the frontcourt of him and Duncan could be pretty deadly.
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 02:05:56 am »

i wouldn't judge his impact until mid april

Pervis Ellison
MVP

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 11:56:13 pm »

gooden with 13 points 4 rebounds in a win against the rockets (3/14/09)

14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 09:45:49 am »

If we get this kind of offense from him the rest of the season, this will be a huge boost.  He was aggressive and looking for his shot from the moment he step on the court.  The best thing about it was how effective he was coming off the pick and roll.  Usually with Duncan, Thomas, and Bonner setting the pick they are for the most part just pick and pop players.  Gooden can not only shoot it, but he can put it on the floor and drive past most of the people guarding him.  His offensive game fits great with this team.

14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 10:35:51 am »

After watching the game last night with the Thunder, I think we got a glimpse into what the playoff rotation will look like.  This post season, it looks like Gooden will be the offense coming off the bench.  He will get the Manu role of coming off the bench, but playing starter minutes.  He has gotten big minutes the last two games and has played very well, he even got two block shots last game which is a huge plus.  Offensively, I look for him to really pick up the void left by Manu.

lbj_is_da_man
Undrafted

-THE TIME HAS COME FOR CLEVELAND-

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:45:57 am »

What do you see Gooden doing in a Spurs uniform?  I see him playing well, being put into the starting line up after a handful of games, and averaging around 10 and 8 for the rest of the season and in the playoffs.  Originally I thought this was just a rental and he would be gone after this year, but after seeing him address the media yesterday, I think he could be here for a while.  He brought up the idea of staying past this season himself, which was shocking to me. I see him staying for another couple of years, and with the help of Pop and Duncan he could turn into a 15 and 10 guy with improved decision making on offense and defense.
I could also see him signing a bigger contract after the season and being an above average player on a bad team again.
But what does everyone else think?

im live in cleveland and i have seen Drew Gooden play a lot he is a beast in the post he avg 16 points a game and 7 boards a game he is just a monster at basketball you guys are very lucky to have him as spure

JUSTIN#23
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: