Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So what does the draft look like and how can we move up  (Read 7401 times)
olsons3
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« on: March 18, 2009, 09:52:07 pm »

This team is a mess.  It's almost like they are trying to fool us into thinking that they actually are making a post season run. 

I just watched the Portland game, well part of it, I eventually turned the channel to a House rerun.  Our conquering hero returns to the starting lineup to score 35, and is one of three to hit double figures.  I think it is time to call it and start evaluating what we have before the off season. 

Foster can barely move with his back tonight, so let's have him cover Aldridge.  We Bring in McBob, which brings a sudden burst of energy, and so naturally we remove him quickly.  We can't have that infectious type of energy injected into our team this close to the draft, um, playoffs. 

This is a microcosm of this whole season. 

Only questions left is who is staying and who is leaving after the next 13 games are completed.

Boom Baby!!!!
UNIT
Hall of Famer

Respect: +57

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 03:39:37 am »

need GS and raptors to overtake us... so we can be at #7... #7 is a good area for moving into the top3 in the lottery.
Dynasty
MVP

Respect: +788

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 11:13:47 pm »

They'll probably end up either 10th or 11th in the order.  Hopefully, Craig Brackins falls to them.  I'm kind of starting to like his potential paired up with Danny, Brandon, and Roy.
UNIT
Hall of Famer

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 11:30:30 pm »

11th pick again... 3rd year in a row.
olsons3
Benchwarmer

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 04:03:17 pm »

They'll probably end up either 10th or 11th in the order.  Hopefully, Craig Brackins falls to them.  I'm kind of starting to like his potential paired up with Danny, Brandon, and Roy.

Brackins looks like a good prospect.

Boom Baby!!!!
olsons3
Benchwarmer

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:54:51 am »

It looks like pick 12 or 13, so the odds on 1, 2, or 3 isn't real strong.

Do we trade up???  Do we trade Down???  How and with what???

Who do we re-sign if any of the expiring contracts we have now??? 

Boom Baby!!!!
JR
a.k.a. JR the BeatBeast & Mr. Solo Dolo & Queensbridge
Hall of Famer

#RARE

Respect: +337

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 12:54:31 pm »

brackins woudl b a stupid pci kthy need 2 trade down if they want a big man their r 3 good big man in griffin hill and thabeet then it drops off 2 brackins hansbrough mullens patterson at around 18-30

UNIT
Hall of Famer

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 12:43:47 am »

well next season we will have

Jarret Jack --- TJ Ford
Mike Dunleavy --- Brandon Rush
Danny Granger --- ?
Troy Murphy --- ?
Roy Hibbert --- Jeff Foster

so a gamble on an athletic Forward... looks most likely.
olsons3
Benchwarmer

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:06:39 am »

I would love to see someone with McRoberts energy and hops, that also has Rasho's 15 ft shot.  If he can hit the three all the better.  I think the energetic pick-and-pop guy would be great with the high pick and roll.

I think we will need a third point guard, as I wouldn't be surprised if Diener leaves or is part of a trade.

I would like to see us keep McRoberts and Graham.  Great bang for the buck.

Daniels, Baston, Rasho, should not be back.  Tinsley needs to be bought out, cut, or otherwise disposed of.  Use the four spots to get a some inexpensive free agent filler.  With Dunleavey out indefinitely, and being unsure how he will be coming back, we will need some help on the wings.  Luc Mbah a Moute looked good last night and is a free agent.

Boom Baby!!!!
UNIT
Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 08:46:18 pm »

Jarrett Jack  ($2,899,798) --- TJ Ford  ($8,500,000)
Brandon Rush  ($1,934,160) --- Mike Dunleavy  ($9,780,992)
Danny Granger  ($9,930,500) --- Stephen Graham  ($939,693)
Troy Murphy  ($11,047,619) --- 1st Rounder ($$1,799,160) --- Josh McRoberts  ($826,269)
Roy Hibbert  ($1,575,360) --- Jeff Foster  ($6,077,500)

Jamaal Tinsley  ($7,200,000)

09/10 Total: $62,511,051
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:50:09 pm by UNIT » Logged
Benchwarmer

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 07:15:43 am »

Here's what I see happening...

Bird already acknowledged we need a low-post player, and he also went on to say that that player is likely to come via trade or free agency. So that leads me to believe that considering the lack of offensively-gifted big men in this draft, and our solid depth at pretty much every other spot, Bird is simply going to take the best player available (Personally I'm hoping for Dejuan Blair, who can come in and make an immediate impact if he ends up staying).

I don't believe the player we draft is a lock to play for us next season, and could very well be trade bait to package with a couple other players (hopefully Tinsley) -- to land a solid veteran like Amare Stoudemire or Paul Millsap.

A few free agent possibilities that may be of interest, depending on the amount of cap space Bird can clear... Carlos Boozer, Rasheed Wallace, Chris Wilcox, Leon Powe...

And one more thing....I wouldn't be shocked to see Jermaine O'Neal back with us, albeit at a considerably discounted rate from his $20 million/year. He hasn't fit in well with any other team, he still only 30 yrs old, and could split minutes with Hibbert. I think he still has a lot of loyal fans in Indy as well.
olsons3
Benchwarmer

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 08:10:46 am »

I can see us trading to get a Boozer, if we can't land a Brackins or better.  Wallace would be a difficult sell in Indy, as would JO.  We liked the players this year.  Other than Charitable work, they only appeared in the sports section.

PG:  Ford - Jack - xxx  (sounds like Diener will opt out)
SG:  Rush - Dunleavey - xxx    (sounds like Pacers are dropping Daniels)
SF:  Granger - Graham - xxx       (Can't see Bird dropping the Fan Favorite Graham)
PF:  Murphy - McRoberts - xxx    (Bird likes McBob, and so do the fans)
C:   Hibbert - Foster - xxx

With Dunleavey looking like he will be out for a while, we need another swing and/or a PG to fill in for Jack when he moves to the "2".

Any word on our man Tinsley???  Will arbitration free him from us, and visa-versa???
Are there any free agents that can help us fill the xxx's  Huh
Will we be able to fill any of these xxx's in the draft  Huh
~~~  Trade up???   Trade Down???

The mock drafts are very weird this year.  None of them look the same.  Maybe a diamond in the rough...

Boom Baby!!!!
Benchwarmer

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 07:40:27 am »

Well I'm hoping we don't make any trades just to move up, because we'll end up drafting some useless scrub while overlooking the steal of the draft. It never fails. For whatever reason, Bird just isn't a very good drafter.

We got lucky with Granger, and that's only because he was a 4-year college player and we pretty much knew exactly what we were getting.

Here's a recap of the last 10 years. You gotta admit it's pretty ugly...

1999: Jonathan Bender
Okay, I know he showed some promise... but was he ever going to develop into a player like Shawn Marion, Jason Terry, Rip Hamilton, Corey Maggette or Andre Miller -- all who were among the next 8 players taken? Probably not.

2000: Primoz Brezec
Weak draft in general, but Brezec contributed very little when he was here. Would've been nice to see this pick traded.

2001: Jamaal Tinsley
Taken immediately before Tony Parker, and 3 spots ahead of Gilbert Arenas. Tinsley was the first PG taken in this draft, and why he was first on our list is beyond me...

2002: Fred Jones
Another weak draft, but again, would've been nice to see this pick traded.

2003: James Jones
Nice 2nd round pickup, a 4-year college player who is fairly one-dimensional. Decent choice considering the other options.

2004: David Harrison
Out of the league. Anderson Varejao was the next player taken.

2005: Danny Granger
Home Run! Obviously no complaints here.

2006: Shawne Williams & James White
Lots of decent role players taken after these guys (Rondo, Josh Boone, Balkman, Lowry, etc..). How we traded up to  get the worst pair out of this group is beyond me.

2007: No picks

2008: Brandon Rush & Roy Hibbert
These guys have shown promise, but it's too early to tell if they will really amount to anything.

That said, I'm not really looking forward to this draft. The way I see it there's about a 10% chance we get a guy who can really make a difference,  a 20% chance that we get a decent role player, and a 70% chance we get a fringe bench player who is either sitting on another team's bench -- or out of the league -- within 3 years.
UNIT
Hall of Famer

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 10:10:23 am »

Bender was a super talent... if not for knees he and jermaine oneal could of been the leagues best front line between 2003-2006.

at pick #27.. its always tricky... Brezec had his moments with bobcats.. and is a very good international player... only player we missed out on was Micheal Redd.. but the entire league passed on him.

once again pick #27... this was a strange draft... theres never been so many talents in the 20s and 30s... pacers pick of Tinsley was correct talentwise... parker from france would of been a big risk... and arenas looked like a tweaner out of college... tinsley was the #1 pure pg in the draft....

#14 in a poor draft... Fred Jones was a very good 6th man for a few years... and is still a decent player in the NBA... Prince really would of been a great pick... pacers simply stretched too far for jones... they should of traded down.

i good keep going on but really you have too look at our poor pick slots.

2000 - #27
2001 - #27
2002 - #14 (poor draft)
2003 - #49
2004 - #29
2005 - #17 (GOLD)
2006 - #17 (poor draft)
2007 - None
2008 - #14 and #17

so really our highest pick/highest value this decade has been Brandon Rush.. and he started to look good over last 20 games.. and he did more than Bayless did this season.

we will have pick #13 this year... unless we trade it... its going to be worth about the same as the 2002 #14th pick... not much.
Gremz
Undrafted

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 04:31:12 am »

I'm new around here, but perhaps the one thing we should be looking for in this draft is a solid rotational player. Someone who can fill a 7th man role adequately for the long haul.

If we can manage to find a James Posey-esque type player in this draft, i'll be happy.

Roy's Our Boy!! Roy's Our Boy!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: