Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manu...  (Read 1556 times)
14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« on: April 06, 2009, 09:00:45 pm »

The news of Manu out for the season has come, and has hit me like a ton of bricks.  In seasons past, Manu has been that player that made the Spurs a great team.  He was the go to guy down the stretch in ball games, put the ball in his hands and good things would happen for the Spurs.  He was the lone risk taker on the defensive end for the Spurs, and he could always “make things happen.”  He was the energizer, and one of the hardest guys to guard in the league.  He was absolutely worth the screaming salute Sir Charles always gave him.

This loss is huge.

I can only think that now, like everyone has been saying and calling for since last season when they lost to the Lakers.  This very well could be the knock out blow to the Timmy, Tony and Manu run of championships.  Its not so much that I think they will be too old, or they will decline so much next year, but the Lakers and Cavaliers will only get better next year.  I don’t think with these three being the stars will beat an improved Lakers or Cavaliers team.

But I have been taught when you have challenges you should not think “whoa is me” and just throw up your arms and give up, it is how you look at these obstacles that is important.  So with that in mind…

There is still a lot to like about this year.  Roger Mason will be back in the starting lineup, playing bigger minutes and asked to score more, which he did very well earlier in the year.  Drew Gooden played big minutes with the starting unit in the Cavs game, and played very well.  These are two pieces that were absent last year, and I would like to see how they function in the playoffs with this group.

Looking to next year and in the future looks good for the team as well.  George Hill will be a great player.  Pairing him with Parker in the coming years will make for a very quick backcourt.  Malik Hairston is a young player that is athletic small forward that shown he can put the ball on the floor and score in the lane.  And if you remember the first meeting with the Cavaliers in San Antonio he played pretty good defense on King James.  Ian Mahinmi very well might be that shot blocking big they so desperately needed this season, and should be a big part of the team next year.  And getting back to Manu, when was the last time he was completely healthy?  Maybe he comes back next year 100% and returns to form of a couple years ago.

So, while it is a tough day for sure not all is lost.  It is still good to be a Spurs fan.

Quote from: 14Supernuts
I was wrong, and Josh was right the Spurs actually aren't good like the Suns.
Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

Respect: +2

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 11:06:55 am »

maybe we could still take the lakers to 7 even with this somewhat depleted lineup and when that happens maybe there will be a buzz about the spurs again and next year will be a lot to look forward to

a spurs, knicks, greg oden fan
14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:57:09 am »

Sadly I think the playoffs will be based on a lot of hope this year.  Making the conference finals might be an accomplishment itself.  But this will give alot more minutes to Mason and Hill, so it will be good for them moving forward.

Quote from: 14Supernuts
I was wrong, and Josh was right the Spurs actually aren't good like the Suns.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: