Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: offseason scenario  (Read 3879 times)
Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

Respect: +2

« on: April 08, 2009, 11:30:22 am »

spurs sign shawn marion for four years with the full MLE and trade kurt, finley, mahinmi/hairston and the 1st round draft pick for camby. does it sound doable? possible or not?

a spurs, knicks, greg oden fan
14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:52:49 pm »

I like the idea of adding Marion.

I may be mistaken, but I dont think the Spurs even have a 1st round pick I think they traded it already.  I think you keep both those young guys because they are young and already know the system.  Plus, I think if they were going to get rid of Mahinmi they would have done it by now, so they must see something in him that they like.  I dont think they need to add someone like Camby, because he is nothing on offense and just increases your lack of speed and athletic ability.  They need someone young and athletic to pair with Duncan and this point in his career.

But really, if they do anything big in the off season it would be shocking.  They dont make big signings, they are more likely just to sign Gooden rather than take a chance and bring in someone new.  They really need to just start playing their young guys more and not bury them on the bench.

As i write this, I cant help but think how different this year would have been if the Spurs would have got Maggette.  He is instant offense when he steps on the court, and would have alleviated the load for Duncan and Parker earlier in the year, and would have soften the blow of losing Manu now.

As much as I like Finley and Thomas, they can not be on this team.  They are still good players, but they cant be paired with older stars like Timmy and Manu.  They need to play with younger stars because having to many vets, like the Spurs have just creates too many problems.  Exibit A...tonight against the Blazers.

Quote from: 14Supernuts
I was wrong, and Josh was right the Spurs actually aren't good like the Suns.
fusionph
Undrafted

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:09:17 am »

What if spurs go for Iverson, provided he will not asked for an expensive contract. And maybe go for Sheed as well. Then unload vaughn/finley/fab/bowen/thomas for young players.
Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:49:26 pm »

what about signing jamario moon for 3million and also rasheed wallace for 3million? good idea?

French-Kobe
Star

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 10:55:34 am »

Adding Marion would be a smart moove but I don't think he wants to play for "only" the MDE...The targets for the Spurs this summer are veterans looking for a ring like Iverson, Kidd, Mc Dyess...

14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 09:40:10 pm »

Just going to put my two cents in on some of these new players mentioned.

Held at gun point is the only situation where the Spurs should offer AI a contract.  What do we know about the Spurs, they run offensive sets and demand defense from all their players.  AI has shown that he can not effectively run an offense.  From his days at G’town to the 76ers to the Olympics to the Nuggets to the Pistons, he has disrupted the offensive flow because he is a ball stopper that can not get others involved off his play and constant dribbling.  The Spurs offense would be much worst if he was on this team because he has to have the ball in his hands the majority of the time for him to be effective, and with Parker, Ginobili and Duncan he will not have the ball in his hands.  His defense I don’t think needs to be discussed.

Jason Kidd would not help this team, and most likely will not leave Dallas.  Besides, the Spurs have a point guard that is pretty damn good.

As we saw the first week of the season, McDyess is a Piston till he decides to retire.

Moon I don’t think is much of an upgrade over what we get from Udoka.  He is more athletic yes, but I think Udoka is a better defender, passer, and has a higher basketball IQ.  Neither are very good shooters, but Udoka does seem to go on streaks were he can’t miss.

I understand the thinking about adding Moon because he is basically a poor man Marion, but Marion is by far a better defender and rebounder, and that is what the Spurs need the most.  I could just see him playing unbelievably well off the big 3 on offense because he knows how to get open for passes from playing with a guy like Nash, and he can space out the floor being a decent 3point shooter.

But I think it is unlikely for a variety of reasons that the Spurs will land Marion.  Maybe if he decides to play for a season and add his name to the list of free agents in 2010 when there will be many more teams with money.  But the more I’ve thought about it, the more I love the idea of the Spurs getting him.

Pervis Ellison
MVP

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 11:11:57 pm »

plus marion has already stated his desire of wanting to play for a contender

14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 08:39:58 am »

Well let me list the contenders and see which ones can take him

EAST

Cavs - I dont know if its possible in the line-up, they would have to play Marion and Lebron together and I dont think that would help them.  It would be very entertaining however.

Celtics - He would have to come off the bench, because he is not cracking that starting line up.

Magic - This could happen if Hedo opts out.  Which I think the Magic need Hedo's play making ability, even with a healthy Nelson next season.  Marion is not some one that can initiate the offense, but his defense would be an upgrade.

Next season wild card Heat - If he goes back, I think they can take a big step forward.  Starting Chalmers, Wade, Marion, Beasley, O'neal sounds very good to me.

WEST

Lakers - They wont have enough money to sign him, because they are signing their current small forward Ariza.

Nuggets - He wouldnt help them, they have enough forwards and wouldnt be able to start him.

Spurs - YES YES YES

Blazers - They are only looking to add a vet to provide leadership, I dont think Marion fits the bill.

Rockets - If Artest leaves, this is possible.  They would be a contender with that line up, especially when they add McGrady.

So really, to me I guess its between the Magic, Heat, Spurs, or Rockets as possible destinations.  I'm really looking forward to see what the Spurs do, almost as much as seeing Dear Daddy Dexter next fall.

14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 03:37:46 pm »

If the reports are true that Miami will attempt to trade Beasley and some other pieces for Bosh, then Marion will not be a Spur.  If that happens, Miami looks even better for Marion to go back.  I dont know if they will have money left or what they will do, but if I'm thinking like Marion and looking at lifestyle and both teams what me, Im picking south beach.

Pervis Ellison
MVP

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 04:32:11 am »

I'm really looking forward to see what the Spurs do, almost as much as seeing Dear Daddy Dexter next fall.

yeah, those two things are really something to look forward to. especially dear daddy dexter

theres another player that i think would benefit being a spur... channing frye. he could be had for 6 million over 2 years, i think.

14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 06:20:12 pm »

Well the word now is the Spurs are trying to trade up into the late first round.  My question is who do you think they would be targeting?

It seems obvious to me their needs are an athletic, defensive-minded SF, and someone to play along side Timmy, whether it be a PF or C.

I look at some one like a Sam Young fitting into what the Spurs do because he can play pretty good D and is an improving spot up shooter.  I'm not sure about his decision making and ball handling on offense, but he wouldnt be asked to with players like Parker, Mason, Manu, and Hill being on the floor.

For someone to put along Tim, I could see them taking a risk with BJ Mullens because he has all the talent and size in the world to get it done, but will have to grow up mentally to be a Spur.  I look at the Georgia Tech guy Gani Lawal, and I think he could play very well with Duncan, because he is a energy guy that even though he is short, long and athletic can compensate for it.  They wont run plays for him, but the Spurs dont need more scoring with a healthy Manu.  Plus he is a shot blocker, and the Spurs need someone other than Duncan that can do that.

Is there anyone else that fits with this team I'm missing?

And, I'm not sold on Channing Frye.  I watch him play and sometimes he seems to be disinterested and have the expression of "whoa is me" when things dont go his way.  I think dont think he is tough minded enough.  Although his skills and talent would be a good compliment to Duncan.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: