Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Evan Turner  (Read 7053 times)
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

Respect: 0

« on: July 02, 2009, 05:27:32 am »

Learning to Howl: A Buckeye on the Winter Road

I’m here to tell you a story. This story is not about an idea, a world or a place. It’s about a man who’s journey will (hopefully) lead him to be wearing the blue and black next season. This man is Evan Turner.

I know this is early. The draft only ended a few weeks ago and I’m already talking about someone I think the Timberwolves should target for NEXT YEAR’S draft, but this is a special circumstance. As the year goes we may flip flop around, lose and regain our hope that this man is the saviour that we need. But I hope that for now this piece will be informative and interesting to all of you. I hope that you, like me, will fall in love with the Ohio State junior.

Let’s start with the simple. Standing a tall 6-7 with a nice wingspan, the junior weighs in at a decent 205lbs. He’s stayed 3 years (this year will be his junior season) despite rumours that he would have been a lottery pick this year. In the many interviews I’ve seen him do, he’s never once seemed overconfident, cocky, arrogant, self-centred or any of the other nasty traits that seem to inhabit the NBA’s highly paid elite. His on-court play reflects this, with an unselfish and leadership mentality that few players truly master.

Moving on, we come to his stats. Not always a perfect way to evaluate players but in this case Turner’s statistics give a clear example of what he can do on the basketball court.

During his freshman season he averaged a good 27.1 minutes per game. With his time out on the court he played well for his first year averaging 8.5 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 1.3 steals while shooting 47% from the field, 70% from the line and 33% from beyond the arc. Modest numbers to be sure, but as a freshman he played alongside a numbers of players that were “higher up on the food chain”, such as Kosta Koufos and Jamar Butler.

He improved these stats further in his sophomore season. In 36.4 minutes of action Turner increased his stats per game to 17.3 points (an 8.8ppg difference), 7.1 rebounds (a 2.7rpg increase), 4 assists (a 1.4apg difference) and 1.8 steals (0.5spg increase) while increasing his efficiency by shooting 50% from the floor, 78% from the line and 44% from beyond the arc.

However no player, not even Michael Jordan, is perfect and Turner does have some holes in his game. He shoulders so much of his teams offence that he turned the ball over 3.5 times a game, almost matching his 4 assists although this was an improvement over his freshman year (a 1.12 A/T ratio over a 0.99 one).

He’s also not very confident with his shooting stroke, especially from beyond the arc. Despite shooting 44% from deep he only took 25 shots the entire season, which shows his lack of confidence in his shot.

But I think this is one of his most important aspects; he plays within himself. He doesn’t force the issue like so many younger guys that are seen today. He doesn’t sit around shooting 3s all game when he can get anywhere he wants with his advanced ball handling and physical tools. He doesn’t take a contested lay-up when his big man is rolling to the hole or a shooter is wide open on the wing.

He’s even proved himself on the defensive end, a place where so many young athletes fear to tread nowadays. Always ready for the tough match ups, Turner is not the type to back down and his physical tools and physical nature make him an imposing player to be defended by. With his combination of speed, strength and length he can easily smother any player and this looks to translate very well to the pro game.  

Will this man end up in the blue and black? Only time will tell. His unique abilities combined with his outstanding personality and work ethic look to make him a natural candidate for the type of players David Kahn has shown interest in, such as recent draftees Johnny Flynn and Wayne Ellington. Wherever he ends up, I hope you’ll join me in watching Ohio State take the next step with him at the helm.

Shangrila

VandelayIndustries
Undrafted

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 12:05:58 am »

Very nice analysis. I'm a student at the U of M, and I have basketball season tickets. I got to see him play last year, and I remember he looked really good.

I just went back and looked at the boxscore. 21 pts on 7-17 shooting (1-2 from three), 6-6 FT, 8 boards, only 1 TO. Only sat out 1 min. He played all 40 minutes when they beat Minnesota later in the year. 18 pts and 10 boards.

I didn't realize how awesome his numbers were across the board. I'm sure he'll shoot the three a lot more this season, and I'm sure he'll give us Gopher fans a headache or two.

We'll have our pick and hopefully the pick from the bobcats will be around 13-14 (that pick is top 12 protected I believe). I'm liking this idea a lot. It will be an obvious position of need, and Turner seems like a great guy all around. He is definitely now on my 2010 radar!
Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

Twitter: @WholeEffeinShow

Respect: +723

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 01:42:40 am »

And down goes Turner.

RIP Madawg
MoGrady
Hall of Famer

Air Canada Carter

Respect: +1031

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 01:01:51 am »

And down goes Turner.

That back injury looked pretty brutal, hope he'll be fine.

Thank you Turbozone, BBYao for the sigs.
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 01:38:46 pm »

He's also my early favorite for the "this time we need to draft a SG" award. We lost out on Roy, Mayo, DeRozan (altough he hasn't proven anything yet) - now is the time since we are both PG and bigman heavy.
Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 07:56:08 pm »

And down goes Turner.

That back injury looked pretty brutal, hope he'll be fine.

2 crack vertebae in the spine. No big deal.

RIP Madawg
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 03:44:36 am »

He's supposed to miss 8 weeks so hopefull he'll be able to come back and earn himself a job in the NBA.
MSchmidt
Benchwarmer

Respect: +1

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 03:53:41 pm »

I think Turner would be a nice draft pick for the Wolves. I am a fan of his game indeed and think he would fit nicely on one of the wings. Hypothetically speaking, lets say the Wolves land the first pick what do you think you guys would do? Draft the consensus number 1 pick in Wall even though you have Sessions, Flynn, and the rights to Rubio? I was just thinking about that scenario to myself and was curious what Wolves fans thought about the whole thing.
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 04:08:26 pm »

I think Turner would be a nice draft pick for the Wolves. I am a fan of his game indeed and think he would fit nicely on one of the wings. Hypothetically speaking, lets say the Wolves land the first pick what do you think you guys would do? Draft the consensus number 1 pick in Wall even though you have Sessions, Flynn, and the rights to Rubio? I was just thinking about that scenario to myself and was curious what Wolves fans thought about the whole thing.
They should draft Wall. Just as the Vikings drafted Peterson when they already had a solid RB in Chester Taylor and seriously lacked a solid QB. It did work out well in the end. Why the comparison? If you have a shot at a possible superstar, you do not draft by need. Both Flynn and Sessions are easily tradeable. I'm not even talking about Rubio, there is no team in the NBA that wouldn't consider landing his rights. Obviously, everyone would know we *need* to trade and would try to low-ball us... but we still could get a lot by trading one of the four PGs.

We land #1 and John Wall is the consensus top pick? There is no question to me we need to draft him. I'd also like him to be a keeper, but who knows what would happen and who'd get shipped out. I think having Wall would mean the Rubio drama is over - both Flynn and Sessions could be high profile backups.
Mike005
Benchwarmer

Respect: +1

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 08:51:25 am »

They'll draft Wall if they win the lottery. It isn't like the Wolves are close. They don't just need to plug holes and find a good fit. It is going to take a complete talent overhaul to fix everything that is wrong there. As far as I can see, the only elite player (top ten at his position) they have right now is Jefferson. Flynn is nice. Love would be fine in a different situation, but he probably has to go because he does what Jefferson just not as well. He is just not as big, not as athletic, and not as good on the block. Neither of them are going to win any defensive awards, so he would be the prime candidate to move. The rest of that roster is just possible rotation-caliber guys.  If they get 1 or 2, they can't go wrong if they come away with either Wall or Turner, but they have to go for the guy with the most upside- the guy who will give their organization the most hope and buzz.

Mike
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 09:50:05 am »

I'd much rather trade Jefferson and keep Kevin Love. Love is becoming the heart and soul of this team. Jefferson is one of the best old school big men in the league... but still, Kevin Love would be my choice. As Dice pointed out somewhere else Love's production currently is very similar to KG's at age 21. Obviously, he's nowhere near defensively, but KG was a physical freak, a 7-1 lanky rebounder fast enough to guard SFs - you don;t get that kind of players more often than every 25 years.
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 05:04:47 am »

I say keep both. So far Love has looked good coming off the bench and having Hollins as a starter seems to change the dynamic of the team. This also strengthens the bench by giving them a go to guy and Love can have an easier time against the backups in the league. Plus over at realgm they brought up the fact that Love plays better in less minutes and his production and efficiency drop when he starts hitting that 35mpg mark.

Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 05:02:53 pm »

I still am under the impression one of them needs to leave for more talent on the wings or supreme value. Jefferson to the Spurs for 2 1sts, Richard Jefferson, and George Hill. Yes, I'm drunk.

RIP Madawg
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 07:21:54 am »

I still am under the impression one of them needs to leave for more talent on the wings or supreme value. Jefferson to the Spurs for 2 1sts, Richard Jefferson, and George Hill. Yes, I'm drunk.
Good, because I was about this *squeezes together fingers* close to reaching through the internet netz and slapping you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: