Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Reveal  (Read 49435 times)
ballers101
MVP

« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2011, 10:05:31 pm »

I think one of the big points that is being missed here was that the greenwing character was also meant to increase the activity of the forums.  I think the activity of this thread and the now several others that have popped up due to "The Reveal" show just how much influence I had as greenwing.

zunami showed a good example of one of my blog posts.  That's who I am.  That's who I'm going to be on this forum from now on.  For those of you who are still upset, I can empathize.  But instead of placing wasted time and effort into complaining about this, it's really best to just let it go.  greenwing is gone and he's not returning.

They're popping up because you're a douche actually.

No, the douches are the internet tough guys who hide behind a screen name and say stuff online that they wouldn't normally say to others in person.  I've outed myself.  I have nothing to hide.  And I'm no longer playing that game that several others on this forum continue to do.

Like I've said, greenwing is gone.  I would hope you would give me the benefit of the doubt and judge me on my basketball discussion instead of a fake internet character.

Well, I would call you a douche to your face. But whatever.

I'm not angry, if it seems I am, because that would just be dumb. I'm writing these things whilst chuckling. I just can't stand seeing people lieing to save face, and I'm sorry, but yours is blatant.
I've been here a while and I consider a lot of the guys here friends, so I do actually resent you thinking they're dumb enough to buy into this BS. Come on, sure, you may from time to time have exagerrated some things for fun, but we all know that you creating a 'character' is a lie and kinda pathetic that you're creating this story to back peddle and save face. Asuming we're stupid enough to believe it speaks volumes of your real character.

Maybe you should give it a little time to see the difference in posting before you make a final judgment?  Just a suggestion.
You just said Rose is the second best point guard in the league. End of discussion.
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2011, 10:10:54 pm »

I think one of the big points that is being missed here was that the greenwing character was also meant to increase the activity of the forums.  I think the activity of this thread and the now several others that have popped up due to "The Reveal" show just how much influence I had as greenwing.

zunami showed a good example of one of my blog posts.  That's who I am.  That's who I'm going to be on this forum from now on.  For those of you who are still upset, I can empathize.  But instead of placing wasted time and effort into complaining about this, it's really best to just let it go.  greenwing is gone and he's not returning.

someone who spent 10,000 posts as a gimmick is telling us about wasted time and effort.
This. Oh lord, this.

Keyser Soze
MVP

One day I will kill...all of you.

« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2011, 03:24:54 am »

They're popping up because you're a douche actually.

No, the douches are the internet tough guys who hide behind a screen name and say stuff online that they wouldn't normally say to others in person.  I've outed myself.  I have nothing to hide.  And I'm no longer playing that game that several others on this forum continue to do.

Like I've said, greenwing is gone.  I would hope you would give me the benefit of the doubt and judge me on my basketball discussion instead of a fake internet character.

We can either judge you based on the fact that you said consistently stupid things for over 3 years, or based on the fact that you claimed you have been lying to everyone for over 3 years.  I don't think either one is particularly appealing, so I have no idea what you were thinking.

qft

Sometimes, I don't know why I *** with Hoopshype
Stationary Traveller
a.k.a. byExpert
MVP

Metamorphosis

« Reply #243 on: January 21, 2011, 05:28:48 am »

R.I.P. greenwing

I remember the day the HoopsHype forums went public.  I was sitting in the back of a room in a genetics class at the University of Chicago in my early college days trying to find out the latest NBA news.  I was never much for forums beyond my brief stint as Spyrall over at Outpost Gallifrey.  Back then, I liked to read people’s thoughts more than I contributed to that forum.  So I would create several threads just to see how people would respond.  One day I really struck a note with the hardcore Doctor Who community over there.  I simply asked, “Is Doctor Who the greatest sci-fi show of all time?”.  Simple question, right?  Not a simple answer, though.  You see, a huge portion of fans of that television show do not like to label Doctor Who as a science fiction show.  They preferred to look at it as an adventure show that had its basis in science fiction, but it was not like the typical science fiction stories such as Star Trek or Star Wars.  Doctor Who to many was something else entirely.  That simple question stirred such a debate that at the time it became the largest thread in that forum’s history.  And yet, I hardly participated in it.  In essence, that was perhaps really the first time I was able to push many people’s buttons even though it was not my intention to do so.

So what does Doctor Who have to do with this?  Well, back on that day in college I began reading the forums.  You see, I have been around a lot longer than most of you realize.  I was not posting in the forums, but I knew the community fairly well.  And I noticed there was a great deal of homerism by many fans of various teams – and for whatever reasons a great deal of hate towards the team that I grew up cheering for in the Chicago Bulls.  And while I assumed that some posters were probably Bulls haters, I could not be too sure unless I pressed the right buttons.  So for fun I created “greenwing”.

greenwing is not actually me.  He is a character that I created for fun in an attempt to root out Bulls haters across the forums.  However, he evolved over time and his purpose changed from finding and discrediting the Bulls haters for fun to becoming the Dennis Rodman of the forums.  As soon as I realized just how much attention greenwing was getting for his crazy antics I came to the realization that a much more fun goal would be to create a character that some would love, a great deal would hate but ultimately would increase the activity of the forums.

Using the valuable lesson I learned over at Outpost Gallifrey, I was able to make a name for greenwing by pushing buttons while still having legitimate basketball conversations from time to time.  HoopsHype proved to be a great stress reliever during my college days.  Well over half of the stuff I talked about was designed to create hilarious conversation.  From the Chicago versus Portland record thread to the GW Awards to the abundance of Derrick Rose threads in recent memory, etc., it has all been designed to cause controversy, stimulate conversation and ultimately increase the activity of the forums for fun.

I cannot tell you all how many times I have said things on purpose that I don’t even believe in just to see how others would react.  In some ways it was like a psychological experiment designed to see what people really felt on certain subject matters.  Sometimes greenwing’s little pranks succeeded and other times they failed miserably.  But it did not really matter if they worked or not since ultimately greenwing was like a Dennis Rodman.  People either loved him or hated him.  And if he was found out as being obnoxious many posters would just attribute this to greenwing just acting like greenwing.  And that was the beauty of it all.  greenwing could get away with a lot of obnoxious statements simply because of his reputation.

greenwing became a huge part of this forum.  More posters carried a message of his, whether real or fake, while quoting his name in their signatures than any other poster in this forum’s history.  They carried him around wherever they went.  His threads almost always were long in post count and he was a constant reminder to the forum of how one should not act.  He was discussed in several threads without him having anything to do with them or not having even participated in them at all.  greenwing essentially became a legend of this forum whether people liked it or not.  He became synonymous with homerism, an unofficial policeman of the forums who tried to promote better conduct in the forums and, whether deserved or not, he was synonymous with many blatantly wrong statements that he never even said or even insinuated.  greenwing was most definitely a crazy character.  And I will not say that he has not made mistakes along the way – because he has – but whether any of you realize it or not, a great deal of what you may have thought was the truth in what he said was really just inside jokes for him and those who were close to him.

Unfortunately, his antics did come with some negative consequences.  Over the past couple of years more bait threads have been popping up than usual.  And it was never my intent to poison the forum in any way but to create a few laughs and stimulate passionate basketball conversation.  It was around the time that this began when I decided to create Dunk Base as a serious blog run by respected members of the HoopsHype community.  This time I had hoped to stimulate thoughtful conversation on basketball that could be discussed in the forums.  Shortly afterwards I had grown tired of my greenwing character and decided that it was probably best to retire him in favor of stimulating more serious basketball conversation.  But I was torn on the issue.  I had so much fun acting as greenwing but at the same time I wanted to start to make a name for myself as a sort of freelance basketball analyst.  My work began being recognized and I started getting offers to work on some pretty respected sites.  But I turned those down because I really liked working with my friends at HoopsHype and I just could not spare the time.  With medical school and my wedding coming up very soon it has been a struggle to keep up with blogging and podcasting.  I knew quite a while ago that something would eventually have to give.  So I decided to let the HoopsHype community decide for me.

I asked everyone if I should change my name from greenwing to Jason Rubin.  And by a wide margin the community wanted me to stay as greenwing.  I was ready to retire that character, but since the community liked the name so much I decided to let him live on at least until I reached 10,000 posts.  That way I could celebrate a milestone in posts as I put the character to rest.

Now is that time.

I hereby announce the end of greenwing.  May he rest in peace.  And I am also announcing the introduction of Jason Rubin.  From this moment on, I will begin posting as myself and contributing to the forums hopefully in a positive manner.  I will also be spending more time working on my site – especially after my wedding in early March.  And I will be returning to podcasting.  These are exciting times in the NBA and I am really looking forward to discussing basketball with everyone here as myself.  So if you can bear with me and imagine that I am proposing a toast…

“To good times ahead!”

All the best,

Jason Rubin

Nice excuse, but seriously;

“-Do you hate people?
 -I don't hate them...I just feel better when they're not around.”
― Charles Bukowski
Stationary Traveller
a.k.a. byExpert
MVP

Metamorphosis

« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2011, 05:42:09 am »

Last I heard, Michael Lee was still running with Marlo Stanfield's crew.

Nah.. Bodie took over somehow.

Natural Pooo-lice.

You don't see secretaries handing out blowjobs to mayors that often.

The Bunk is strictly a suit and tie motherfucker.

I got the shotgun. You got the briefcase. It's all in the game though, right?

MY NAME IS MY NAME!

What's the worst thing on a woman? A drunken Irishman.

Shhiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

All I know is Marlo is flyin' his own colors. West Side is about to be all Baghdad and shit.

- You know, this is why I think we can't win this.
- How come?
- They screw up, they get beaten. We screw up, we get a pension.

I'll take any motherfucker's money if he GIVIN' it away!!

- Mr. Little, how does a man rob drug dealers for eight or nine years and live to tell about it?
- Day at a time I suppose?

I ain't no suit-wearing businessman like you. You know I'm just a gangsta I suppose. But I want my corners.

Ayo, lesson here, Bey. You come at the king, you best not miss.

Pellets in plastic. Rat shot. What you need be concerned about is what's seated in the chamber now: a copper-jacketed, hollow-point, 120-grain hot street load of my own creation. So you need to think for a just a moment and ask yourself: "What do I have to do before this man raise up his gun again?"

- Them Greeks sure have some weird-ass names.
- Hey, don't knock the Greeks. They invented civilization.
- Yeah, and ass-fucking, too.

Boris... Why always Boris?

Did he have hands? Did he have a face? Yes? Then it wasn't us.

I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick.

I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose...

Do the chair know we gonna look like some punk-ass bitches out there?

What the fuck? You're supposed to be good cop!

It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The Gods will not save you.

Thin line between heaven and here.

Maybe it’s over and nobody bothered to tell us. Maybe we won.

All those mopes in bracelets and not one of them named Osama.

For you I would suggest some pantsuits. Muted in color.

How complex a code can it be if these knuckleheads are usin' it? Then again, what does it say about us if we can't break it?

Worrying about you be like wonderin’ if the sun gonna come up.

Hell, if you can't win the war on drugs in a prison, where the hell you gonna win it?

We used to make shit in this country, build shit. Now we just put our hand in the next guy’s pocket.

How you expect to run with the wolves come night, when you spend all day sparring wit' the puppies?

Just the weak ass mayor of a broke ass city.

Middle management means that you got just enough responsibility to listen when people talk, but not so much you can't tell anybody to go fuck themselves.

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
Amazing. Crime is down and no one wants to take any credit. What is wrong with this picture?

I will kick his ass, but the next morning I still wake up white in a city that ain’t.

I swear to God, I have over 200 sworn personnel and I will free them all up to brutalize every one of you they can. If you're on a corner in my district, it will not be just a humble or a loitering charge. It will be some Biblical shit that happens to you on the way into that jail wagon. You understand? We will not be playing by any rules that you recognize.

Marlo is an asshole! He does not get to win, WE get to win!

Same fuck-ups in the same shit detail, workin’ out of the same shithouse kind of office. You people lack for personal growth, you know that?

Ah, the good ol' days..

“-Do you hate people?
 -I don't hate them...I just feel better when they're not around.”
― Charles Bukowski
Herbal_Tea*
MVP

love that feel

« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2011, 07:47:41 am »

I still hold out hope for redemption.
Three cheers for all new Jason Rubin!
I've never seen it spelled that way before. Are you Canadian? Anyway, here ya go:
"3 chairs"
See? This group-think and of late fascist leanings from this Forum has clearly clouded people's thinking!

If I wanted this kind of atmos-Fear I'd be following baseball or golf.

You serious? This thread is full of dumb sh*t. I'm just adding to it.

ivosucks22
a.k.a. ivoquit22
MVP

« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2011, 05:02:53 pm »

Man, that GW character sure is cool.

Super_Nintendo_Chalmers
a.k.a. Rowan_Barrett & Handsome_B_Wonderful
MVP

« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2011, 08:26:50 pm »

Couple questions for wing. So did you or didn't you say LBJ had a zero percent chance at going to the Heat? And is Deng a top ten sf?

I did and I didn't say it.  I was just messing with everyone.  As I've mentioned before, I occasionally get some inside info regarding the HEAT from sources I cannot reveal publicly, so I knew there was a fairly good chance LeBron would end up there.  But as a Bulls fan I was hoping for LeBron to join the Bulls because I thought he would be a great fit for them.  And I was a bit bummed about his decision, but I'm glad to see how much Rose has improved at the cost of not having LeBron as his teammate.

As for Deng, I do think he's a top ten small forward - albeit near the bottom of the top ten list.  But I think you can certainly make an argument for him being there and you can certainly make an argument for him being just outside that list.  After LeBron, Durant and Melo there's a big dropoff in talent.  Small forward may be the deepest position in the league but it is probably the least top heavy.

What a tool. What an insult to the intelligence of everybody who never had half their head removed by a chainsaw, let alone those who havent. What a complete and utter fuckng tool.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:59:04 pm by Handsome_B_Wonderful » Logged
[Jeremy]
a.k.a. Jeremy_Conlin
MVP

[Insert Funny Caption Here]

« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2011, 08:57:54 pm »

What rhymes with car?

1 syllable:
aer, ahr, ar, are, baar, bahr, bahre, bar, barr, carr, carre, char, claar, clar, csar, czar, dar, darr, fahr, far, farr, flohr, gaar, gahr, gar, gohr, haar, jahr, jar, kahr, kahre, karr, klar, lahr, lar, maher, mahr, mar, marr, meagher, paar, par, parr, pfarr, phar, pharr, quarre, r, r., saar, sar, scar, schaar, schar, scharr, skaar, sklar, spahr, spar, sphar, spohr, staar, star, starr, tar, tarr, thar, tsar, voir, wor, yahr

2 syllables:
adar, afar, ajar, algar, allar, alvare, amar, azar, azhar, bargar, barre, bazaar, bazar, bejar, bell jar, bizarre, blue star, bodnar, bogar, bognar, bog star, bomar, bondar, boyar, bronze star, by far, cash bar, ceasar, cigar, cisar, coal tar, cotnoir, cousar, d'ivoire, dakar, dardar, date bar, demar, detar, dinar, disbar, dog star, dzhokhar, dzokhar, farquar, farrar, film star, fixed star, flare star, fruit bar, ghafar, gill bar, giroir, giscard, godar, gombar, go far, grab bar, gregoire, guitar, guizar, hajjar, hamar, high bar, hribar, huizar, jabar, jabbar, jaffar, jamar, jiar, jr, kadar, kjar, kumar, labar, lamar, lamarr, lebar, lemar, mawr, mcgarr, melgar, milk bar, minnaar, myanmar, najar, najjar, navar, navarre, nazar, north star, not far, nut bar, obar, obarr, our, paccar, pickar, pinch bar, pine tar, pintar, preslar, pry bar, qasr, qatar, renoir, revoir, ribar, robar, rock star, sagar, sand bar, sea star, sharar, sharrar, slice bar, slop jar, snack bar, soutar, so far, space bar, stall bar, subpar, tabar, tesar, there are, thus far, tokar, tovar, track star, transtar, victoire, wet bar, what are, where are, who are, wood tar, you are, zachar, zadar, zagar, zalar

3 syllables:
a. t. r., almanzar, andujar, and there are, aquilar, arctic char, au revoir, avelar, axle bar, baldemar, baltazar, basket star, blazing star, bonior, brittle star, c. p. r., candy bar, carob bar, chocolate bar, christmas star, coffee bar, color bar, cookie jar, cote d'ivoire, delamar, delebarre, double bar, double star, evening star, f. d. r., feather star, giant star, golden star, greenland spar, heavy spar, hekmatyar, hershey bar, hitching bar, hocevar, iceland spar, in so far, leyden jar, mason jar, menjivar, metal bar, morning star, movie star, neutron star, npr, opera star, oyster bar, p. c. r., peanut bar, polar star, prairie star, r. j. r., rajkumar, red dwarf star, ripping bar, salad bar, saldivar, saldovar, serpent star, shooting star, silver star, steel guitar, superstar, sushi bar, texas star, that you are, towel bar, tv star, v. c. r., valdemar, white dwarf star, woodland star, wrecking bar, zaldivar, zulfikar

4 syllables:
almodovar, apricot bar, bahrain dinar, balakumar, binary star, dense blazing star, devil's cigar, earthenware jar, emdr, f. l. a. r., granola bar, mineral tar, multiple star, vina del mar

5 syllables:
acoustic guitar, electric guitar, hawaiian guitar, horizontal bar, iraqi dinar, kuwaiti dinar, libyan dinar, operatic star, television star, tunisian dinar, variable star, yemeni dinar

6 syllables:
algerian dinar, capital of qatar, iranian dinar, jordanian dinar

7 syllables:
southern yemeni dinar, yugoslavian dinar

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_rhymes_with_car#ixzz1BXj7zQ8y

This was definitely my favorite post.

sulingman
MVP

WINNING AND GRINNING

« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2011, 11:47:36 am »

I still hold out hope for redemption.
Three cheers for all new Jason Rubin!
I've never seen it spelled that way before. Are you Canadian? Anyway, here ya go:
"3 chairs"
See? This group-think and of late fascist leanings from this Forum has clearly clouded people's thinking!

If I wanted this kind of atmos-Fear I'd be following baseball or golf.

You serious? This thread is full of dumb sh*t. I'm just adding to it.
Maybe?

"MO MONEY, MO QUANDARIES"
StumptheSlob
MVP

« Reply #250 on: January 22, 2011, 03:27:28 pm »

Couple questions for wing. So did you or didn't you say LBJ had a zero percent chance at going to the Heat? And is Deng a top ten sf?

I did and I didn't say it.  I was just messing with everyone.  As I've mentioned before, I occasionally get some inside info regarding the HEAT from sources I cannot reveal publicly, so I knew there was a fairly good chance LeBron would end up there.  But as a Bulls fan I was hoping for LeBron to join the Bulls because I thought he would be a great fit for them.  And I was a bit bummed about his decision, but I'm glad to see how much Rose has improved at the cost of not having LeBron as his teammate.

As for Deng, I do think he's a top ten small forward - albeit near the bottom of the top ten list.  But I think you can certainly make an argument for him being there and you can certainly make an argument for him being just outside that list.  After LeBron, Durant and Melo there's a big dropoff in talent.  Small forward may be the deepest position in the league but it is probably the least top heavy.

Hahaha, I missed this part.

GO NEW YORK, GO NEW YORK, GO!
"The girls danced, started fondling me, I got aroused, they performed oral sex. I hung around a little bit and talked to them, then I left." - Patrick Ewing
"If people don't consider me a good player, they're stupid." - Danilo Gallinari
animal collective
All-Star

A word to the wise is infuriating.

« Reply #251 on: March 01, 2011, 07:39:34 pm »

Who grabbed my ***? I would really like an apology...

Dooey did you just.....

Robert Horry is a much better candidate for HOF then a cry baby LBJ.

animal collective
All-Star

A word to the wise is infuriating.

« Reply #252 on: March 01, 2011, 09:00:18 pm »

I think one of the big points that is being missed here was that the greenwing character was also meant to increase the activity of the forums.  I think the activity of this thread and the now several others that have popped up due to "The Reveal" show just how much influence I had as douche nozzle.

You did contribute, but in a negative way.

Greens probably the most hated person on this forum now ever, even by Bulls fans.

Robert Horry is a much better candidate for HOF then a cry baby LBJ.

lil_flip_remix
MVP

Montréal, Canada

« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2011, 09:38:02 pm »

I did and I didn't say it.  I was just messing with everyone.  As I've mentioned before, I occasionally get some inside info regarding the HEAT from sources I cannot reveal publicly, so I knew there was a fairly good chance LeBron would end up there.  But as a Bulls fan I was hoping for LeBron to join the Bulls because I thought he would be a great fit for them.  And I was a bit bummed about his decision, but I'm glad to see how much Rose has improved at the cost of not having LeBron as his teammate.

As for Deng, I do think he's a top ten small forward - albeit near the bottom of the top ten list.  But I think you can certainly make an argument for him being there and you can certainly make an argument for him being just outside that list.  After LeBron, Durant and Melo there's a big dropoff in talent.  Small forward may be the deepest position in the league but it is probably the least top heavy.

Hahaha, I missed this part.

At 20'000 posts he'll reveal to us who his source his.

-Well for the last 6 years, I told you I had sources that I couldn't reveal. Well actually, there are no sources, I just wanted to look more important then you guys. It was a test to see if you would believe me.

Flip is the only poster I trust enough to have added on Facebook haha. he also happens to be a beautiful man
Dynasty
MVP

« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2011, 09:49:13 pm »

I don't know what got more bad press, this or "The Decision"
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up

Jump to: