Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pistons No Longer Going After Avery  (Read 1032 times)
G.O.A.T.
All-Star

Respect: 0

« on: July 07, 2009, 11:07:24 am »

Avery Johnson will not be the next coach of the Detroit Pistons.

The Detroit Pistons and the ESPN analyst broke off contract talks Tuesday after more than two days of negotiations, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Pistons -- having paid both Flip Saunders and Michael Curry last season and still owing $5 million to Curry over the next two seasons -- were only willing to offer Johnson a two-year deal with a team option for a third season. It's believed that Johnson wanted no less than the security of a four-year contract, given where the Pistons are in the Eastern Conference hierarchy after a 39-43 season and the fact that Detroit is looking for its sixth coach in Joe Dumars' 10 seasons running the team's front office.

As ESPN.com reported late Monday, Dumars is now expected to turn to Cleveland Cavaliers assistant coach John Kuester to replace Curry. TNT analyst Doug Collins withdrew from consideration last week and the only other known candidate is Boston Celtics associate head coach Tom Thibodeau, but sources say that Kuester's offensive expertise and history with the Pistons after working as an assistant under Larry Brown appeal strongly to Dumars.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4311090
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:20:52 am by Bulls/Pistons » Logged

Bulls/Pistons
Star

Respect: +10

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:19:41 am »

Wow.  I was not expecting this and am very disappointed Sad.  I was really looking forward to Avery being our next coach.  But, if what I read in your quoted article is true, Thibodeau would be a great snag, and should be a priority of Kuester.
Ralph
a.k.a. Poop-Stains
All-Star

PIZZA ROLLSSSSSS

Respect: +48

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 06:58:56 pm »

i think i rather have a less expensive coach we dont need to pay 5m for a team that wont contend
JR
a.k.a. JR the BeatBeast & Mr. Solo Dolo & Queensbridge
Hall of Famer

#RARE

Respect: +337

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 08:36:06 am »

smart move avery preaches defense and u have none besides prince and maxiell

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: