Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Golf, Rugby, Womens boxing in for 2016 Olympics; Baseball snubbed  (Read 4181 times)
cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 12:18:35 pm »

I'm actually against rugby union being in the Olympics. There's enough international rugby already and there's a World Cup every four years as it is.
Well basketball also has the World Basketball championships every four years.  Putting Rugby in the Olympics would popularize the sport and other events (the World Cup, Club level competition, etc.) more than anything else can because it will have the largest audience of anybody.  Is there a better dream for the sport to have it being nationally televised on NBC in front of the whole United States and other networks across the globe?

Exactly.

Soon....
steve
MVP

I've grown to hate you all.

Respect: +1110

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 01:39:41 pm »

I'm actually against rugby union being in the Olympics. There's enough international rugby already and there's a World Cup every four years as it is.
I'm not sure what Rugby's youth development is like, but they could easily treat like FIFA treats the Olympics and make it more about U22 players than the actual national team players.  Although I eventually see Rugby having the same problems that Baseball had in the eyes of the Olympic committee, where it's dominated by such a small portion of the World that it sort of works against the international feel of the Olympics.

Put my existence on this forum against yours.  Toronto makes the playoffs.
Dynasty
MVP

Respect: +788

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 01:52:52 pm »

I'm not sure what Rugby's youth development is like, but they could easily treat like FIFA treats the Olympics and make it more about U22 players than the actual national team players.  Although I eventually see Rugby having the same problems that Baseball had in the eyes of the Olympic committee, where it's dominated by such a small portion of the World that it sort of works against the international feel of the Olympics.
Maybe but I think more of the problem with baseball was that MLB refused to suspend their season to let Major Leaguers player similar to what the NHL does with the Winter Olympics, which is why they created the World Baseball Classic.  Honestly, all the need to do is start Spring Training 3-4 Weeks earlier every four years and that would allow players to represent their countries overseas.
themadkiwi
MVP

Respect: +17

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 09:17:57 am »

I'm a little baffled by some of you guys thinking that rugby is a minor sport. It's the major winter sporting code in a number of countries and is played at a high level across the world.

I doubt you actually realize that the 2007 Rugby World Cup had a total audience across all games of over 4 billion and that the final had an estimated television audience of over 2 billion?

Further exposure in the United States is all good but it's not like it's ever going to steal a significant number of fans away from college and pro football here.
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 09:31:31 am »

Rugby is RARELY ever broadcasted in Canada. And if it is, it's usually 7's.

Soon....
pooflakes
Starter

Respect: +30

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 01:51:07 pm »

kiwi i think they should of held 7's at the olympics it much more exciting for the neutral spectator plus it dosent interfer that much as apart from the small islanders most dont play for the 1st teams. Put rugby league in and i would be happy

themadkiwi
MVP

Respect: +17

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 04:20:27 pm »

kiwi i think they should of held 7's at the olympics it much more exciting for the neutral spectator plus it dosent interfer that much as apart from the small islanders most dont play for the 1st teams. Put rugby league in and i would be happy

Valid point, I just see 7's rugby compared to test rugby in the same light as 20-20 versus a test match in cricket - a pretty pale imitation.

Unlike most other aspects in life, I'm pretty much a sports traditionalist.  Wink
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 11:38:20 pm »

I agree with Kiwi - not a big fan of 7's rugby.

Soon....
UNIT
Hall of Famer

Respect: +57

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 08:30:08 am »

yeah Golf and Rugby are good inclusions.
pooflakes
Starter

Respect: +30

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2009, 04:27:59 pm »

Valid point, I just see 7's rugby compared to test rugby in the same light as 20-20 versus a test match in cricket - a pretty pale imitation.

Unlike most other aspects in life, I'm pretty much a sports traditionalist.  Wink

you have more chance of winning 7's tho either you or the fijians!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Jump to: