Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Toronto is the "International" destination for the NBA.  (Voting closed: July 05, 2006, 09:05:07 am)
Good - 6 (50%)
Bad - 3 (25%)
We will see... - 3 (25%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internazionale Toronto - good or bad  (Read 1454 times)
ollie
Journeyman

Respect: 0

« on: July 05, 2006, 09:05:07 am »

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2006/07/05/1668957-sun.html

This team reminds me of a story I heard about italian football in the earlier part of this century.

AC Milan was the powerhouse team and they would only sign "Italian" players... meanwhile the North of Italy was being flooded with imigrants from Croatia (my realtives included), Slovenia, Austria and various other countries.

Problem was there was no where for these players to play so a group of  astute Milanese started thier own FC...  Inter Milan which catered to the new found  immigrant class and welcomed players from all countries to play.

These players "wanted" to play there.

13 Seria A championships later....

Maybe all this "players who want to be here" communication from the Raps... daily it seems... is just prepping us for the new reality. Bargnani, Gheradini, Nesterovic, Garbajosa, Sow, Ukic, Sklosar and  Calderon and more on the way this week in some pieces I think.

We are gonna be the international destination of the NBA.

Good or bad?

Is this rep gonna deepen the perceived (real) schism between the "I ain't playing in the Canada" players and the "Toronto is an international city" players.  

If the Raps are successful, I think FAs will been drawn here no matter what they think of Canada.  Hopefully this success will also bring an end to the "you gotta overpay FAs to come to TO" trend (reality).

I am torn... good or bad... I dunno..

Anyone care to convince me (and the board) either way??

o
Skillionaire
Journeyman

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 09:50:49 am »

Hey maybe in 3 years we will have a line up of:

PG- Tony Parker (Nash- he's got to be back up b/c of his back, maybe someone else...Spanish Chocolate?Huh)
SG- Diaw (Ginobili)
SF- Bargnani (Peja)
PF- Bosh (Gasol, Garbosa)
C- Dirk (Okur, Rasho)

Toronto Raptors- 2008 World Champs...lol
Now obviously Bosh doesnt fit into this team...but come on, gotta rep the US still...our Soccer team is Toronto F.C. now we can call our basketball team Toronto B.C. (either Basketball Club or Brian Colangelo).

Of course there are guys I have left off of this list, but you cant have em all right?

Biggs
Benchwarmer

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 01:50:09 pm »

Quote from: "ollie"
Good or bad?

Is this rep gonna deepen the perceived (real) schism between the "I ain't playing in the Canada" players and the "Toronto is an international city" players.  

If the Raps are successful, I think FAs will been drawn here no matter what they think of Canada.  Hopefully this success will also bring an end to the "you gotta overpay FAs to come to TO" trend (reality).

I think a bit of both are going to happen.  The perceived diferences will scare some US players, but at the same time if we're winning then I believe players will want to play here.  Don't forget not all american players are ignorant or whatever.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: