Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of trade scenarios that won't happen, but I like...  (Read 4134 times)
breignchile
Journeyman

Respect: 0

« on: July 05, 2006, 12:59:47 pm »

I'm hearing that the draft day trade of Swift/Gay for Battier might not happen as Swift doesn't want to go back to Memphis. Battier cannot be happy with Memphis for wanting to ship him out. So we can take him in a sign and trade with Mike James, and fill up our last roster hole at SF. Memphis has to wonder if Damon will be able to return from his injury and be effective. Battier can stay, or in my perfect world, we can ship him to the Clippers for Maggette. I've always been a fan of Maggette, I even posted a trade scenario earlier, MoPete for Maggette. Which nobody seemed to like. The perfect, somewhat realistic new-look Raptors would have rosters like this:
PG: Ford                        PG: Ford                   PG: Ford
SG: MoPete                    SG: Maggette            SG: MoPete
SF: Battier           OR      SF: Battier        OR    SF : Maggette
PF: Bosh                        PF: Bosh                   PF : Bosh  
C: Rasho                        C: Rasho                  C:  Rasho

If these trade are not exceptable under the salary cap rules we can always throw in Graham,  Tucker, or Humphries. How can you not like any of these strating line-ups?... take your pick.
bakax
Journeyman

Respect: +3

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 01:22:07 pm »

Maggette is too injury-proned.  He hasn't played more than 70 games for the last 3 to 4 years.  I won't want him on the Raptors even though his contract is a bargain deal.  Mo-Pete may not be as good as Maggette but he's the ironman and he is not much worse than Maggette.  I don't see Maggette to play more than 50 games next year as he's getting older => longer time to recover.

If we actually get Battier in the S&T deal with Mike James, I would rather keep him or trade him to Houston Rockets for Rudy Gay and Stromile Swift (if we get Battier, the Rockets would love to deal with us and Swift should have no problem coming to Toronto since he played in Canada before anyway).  

Then, I will think of shopping Stromile Swift or simply keep him around.  Swift might have low BBIQ, but he's atheletic and can play well in a run-and-gun system throwing dunks.

Raptors + Rockets + Suns
Biggs
Benchwarmer

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 01:44:04 pm »

why is everybody in love with Maggete and Swift.  Whats next you'll want the raps to trade for Kwame Brown?  I would take Mopete over Maggete any day of the week and Sto just has no clue how to play.  You can't teach heart.

bakax
Journeyman

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 01:56:16 pm »

Quote from: "Biggs"
why is everybody in love with Maggete and Swift.  Whats next you'll want the raps to trade for Kwame Brown?  I would take Mopete over Maggete any day of the week and Sto just has no clue how to play.  You can't teach heart.

I don't like either Maggette and Swift, but if we are talking about a S&T for Mike James.  I would do the deal since Mike James would be gone anyway, might as well get some value in return.  If James can land us Battier or Rudy Gay + Swift (a filler to balance out the contract), I would do it in a heartbeat.

Raptors + Rockets + Suns
breignchile
Journeyman

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 02:11:15 pm »

What the Raptors lack is a SG/SF who takes it to the hole. For years the Raptors have been shooting threes like crazy. Whenever I think of MoPete driving to the basket, I think of wild circus shots. Maggette goes to the basket hard, much like Wade. You will see Wade missing portions of the season in the future due to his fearless attacking style. Wade rarely ever shoots threes, much like Maggette. We need somebody to collapse the defence not wait on the perimeter and shoot threes. I'm not interested in Swift, but getting a player like Maggette or Battier will just make us a better team, period.
Biggs
Benchwarmer

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 02:22:57 pm »

i think Marquis Daniels would fill that role better than Maggette.  I really don't think Maggette is that skilled.  He's def got an nba body but doesn't use it that effectively i think.

breignchile
Journeyman

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 02:54:15 pm »

i think Marquis Daniels would fill that role better than Maggette.  I really don't think Maggette is that skilled.  He's def got an nba body but doesn't use it that effectively i think.

Really? He's constantly at the free-throw line. And he's probably looking to prove something with the way he was treated last year, losing his starting role. Also, I think Daniels makes too much money for an off the bench type player.
bakax
Journeyman

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 02:56:20 pm »

Both M. Daniels and Maggette are quite injury-proned for the last 2 years.  I would rather keep Mike James as a combo guard off the bench if he's willing to take that role and agree to a reasonable contract.

Raptors + Rockets + Suns
IceX2
Undrafted

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 02:55:31 am »

Not a bad idea to trade for Maggette.  A physical perimeter player who can do his damage from inside and outside.  However, I would prefer a role player type who doesn't demand the ball that much.
As for Swift, most people said he has low basketball IQ and is lack of heart.  Better stay away from him.
wild
Undrafted

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 06:35:52 pm »

I'd trade Peterson for Maggete in a second... Mopete is way toooveratted he had a good year but the numbers lie he was very up and down and has been his whole carreer.  One night he goes for 30 and then the next he scores 6... and I think Magette can play the same level of defence that peterson can. he is a nice palyer but no where near Maggete's level.
Deuces
Undrafted

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 07:54:43 pm »

No.. I would not trade MoPete for anyone, period, he's beeen the teams ironman, and hes just as importnat to this team as bosh. He plays a vital role, give it thats it not his offensive constistant prodcution, he does coem out and work his heart out and plays with every inch of effort he posseses. He is an extremely valueable asset to the team. Also Maggette is injury prone, so on the basis of injury prone Vs the current NBA's ironman, i would undoubtedly take Mo Pete
Skillionaire
Journeyman

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 09:09:20 pm »

I have to agree I wouldnt trade Mo Pete right now either. The man is soooo important to this team. He is one of the emotional leaders out there and I think he is getting better as the years go on. He plays some nasty D out there and runs the floor really well. Also, if we give him up, then we dont have too many other guys that can shoot the three very well.

bakax
Journeyman

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 09:09:52 pm »

Quote from: "Deuces"
No.. I would not trade MoPete for anyone, period, he's beeen the teams ironman, and hes just as importnat to this team as bosh. He plays a vital role, give it thats it not his offensive constistant prodcution, he does coem out and work his heart out and plays with every inch of effort he posseses. He is an extremely valueable asset to the team. Also Maggette is injury prone, so on the basis of injury prone Vs the current NBA's ironman, i would undoubtedly take Mo Pete

Maggette hasn't been healthy for the last a few years.  I wouldn't trade MoPete for him.  

I am willing to trade MoPete for Rudy Gay though, and I won't mind Swift's contract coming in as a filler as he seems to be easily tradable.  Swift might be dumb, but in a run-and-gun system, young, quick, atheletic PF/C does not need a brain to run and dunk.  He sucks big time in Houston because JVG half court set requires some brainpower.

Raptors + Rockets + Suns
Haifa
Undrafted

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 10:41:57 pm »

Let's be clear, Maggette can not defend as well as Mo Pete.  But I make this trade in a heart beat.  Mo Pete is coming off a career year and his value is at it's highest right ... ...  ...  ... now!  Maggette is far more skilled offensively and offense is what this team may be lacking.

Yeah, so he was injured.  If Camby can stay on the floor for as many games as he did this past year after so many missed games in past years, I'm sure Maggette can too.
Haifa
Undrafted

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 10:42:30 pm »

And oh yeah, Gay and anyone for Mo Pete!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: