Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 86   Go Down

Author Topic: (Un)official NHL season thread  (Read 103974 times)
cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 02:12:20 pm »

I think you mean to say 23 there, because he's 26 now. But yeah, he had a fair amount of experience in the Finnish elite leagues and such.

What are your thoughts on the offseason for them? They locked up some important players, but they'll still have some decisions to make regarding who to keep and who not to keep.

Soon....
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

Respect: +180

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 07:53:43 pm »

Oops, after the first sentence I was actually talking about Huet, don't know why I forgot to mention that, but that's my bad right there.

There will still be some big moves for them. In the next two years they're going to pretty much have all of their roleplayer types who have been real good for them going into free agency. They're going to have to keep as many of those guys as they can and get good guys to replace the other ones.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

Twitter: @WholeEffeinShow

Respect: +723

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 11:26:26 am »

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Look around 1:02 into the video....

RIP Madawg
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 02:38:25 pm »

holy ***, was he having a seizure? I wish they showed a replay of the hit, they quality isn't very good...looks like a straight headshot though. dangerous stuff.

Soon....
jerriy
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 04:24:05 pm »

ok, here is my question: with all the hype surrounding todays young superstars like ovie,crosby,malkin,kane etc, how do you feel they compare to generation of players born in early 70s like forsberg,jagr,sakic or selanne. Statistics of all of these players are about the same, plus you have to count with the fact that NHL was much, much more defensive minded in primes of the older generation, especially in the late 90s ( I recently watched some games of 1998 olympics and I couldnt believe the amount of hooking, slashing and interferences players got away with at that time). Another interesting fact is that if we are talking about post-lockout era of NHL, no player of the young generation matched Jagrs point total 123 points, which he posted at age 34.
My point is, im sick and tired of hearing that ovie and sid are the best thing that happened to NHL since gretzky.
People say that Ovechkin is unstopable on offence, I say Jagr was better(not talking about his defence though), they say that players like toews or zettenberg are perfect two-way players I think that you cant even compare them to Forsberg in his prime. I know that the group of younger players is just hitting their prime, but I dont see them becoming much better than they are now, and I feel like the kind of admiration that they are getting from todays fans and media is kinda putting down the generation I grew up watching

Your thoughts?

and please excuse my english
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 05:40:02 pm »

Your english is fine, btw

anyways, I agree with you to an extent, but not on a whole. I do think Ovechkin is the best player we've seen in a long time and eventually will surpass Jagr. He isn't quite there yet, but the guy just gets better every year. Like you said, Ovechkin has solid two way play while Jagr really didn't play that way. Toews isn't as good as Forsberg, but he is a very good two-way forward. I don't think anyone has said these players are better than the older generation save for Ovie and Crosby, so not sure what your main point is there.

As for Selanne, I think he's the worst of all the players you mentioned. Streaky, and a terrible two way player. Sakic was amazing, but he wasn't as dominant as a player like Ovechkin or Crosby.

Soon....
jerriy
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 06:33:54 pm »

My point is that these young players are so linked to the post-lockout era that really changed the face of the game so much, that media and general public seem to think that they are the reason that the games are much more watchable these days, while the changes in rules are much more responsible for that. You can hear/read about it all the time, phrases like: thank god for sid,ovie and other young guys that are making the game fun again... it makes it seem that there has been some sort of big void that these young players have filled, but in fact the talent is the same, its the rules that make the difference.It just bothers me that such great players are forever asociated with times that werent so good for the nhl.

As for ovechkin,I dont think that he can be considered that good of a two way player since he is so damn careless, or better word is impulsive on the defense, lot of times you see lehim aving his player just to get a big hit etc and being the emotional leader of the team, his attitude affects the whole team and a result are crazy up and down games that are great to watch but cant get you far in playoffsa. lso, having mike green, who is insanely talented but sometimes plays more like 4th forward than a defenseman doesnt really help.
But then again, I havent watched much of Capitals THIS season, and ive heard that they improved in terms of discipline, so I guess its possible that my points are off the mark.
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

Respect: +180

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 10:39:44 pm »

Ryan Kesler had something to say in the media, it sounded and looked something like this:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 10:27:10 am »

jerriy,

Lets face it, the time period when guys like Forsberg and Sakic played were not the best periods for the NHL in terms of gameplay. The league as a whole was in a better state then (except for that god awful crease rule), but the style teams played was appallingly dull. A lot of the top notch teams back then played a neutral zone trap, they'd have 3 or even 4 guys standing at centre, take the puck, dump-and-chase, lather, rinse, repeat. That doesn't take away from how exceptionally talented those guys were and it doesn't take away from how exceptionally talented todays players are. Ovechkin is one of the best if not the best player I have seen play hockey aside from Gretzky (obviously no one is ever going to pass him. someone may one day break his goals or assist records, but never the points record, and no one will ever possess as much hockey smarts). You are right he can be careless defensively in going for the big play but he is such a dynamic hitter and offensive threat he can get away with it. SO in summary I don't think these players are better and more skilled because of the rule change but are better in spite of the rule changes.

Soon....
STAT City
a.k.a. Boozy & Ice-O
MVP

Respect: +30

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 10:59:50 am »

The Toronto Maple Leafs shook up their roster with a pair of moves on Sunday, acquiring star defenseman Dion Phaneuf from the Calgary Flames  and veteran goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere from the Anaheim Ducks, pending his waiving a no-trade clause, sources tell ESPN.com.

According to two sources, the Leafs acquired Phaneuf in exchange for defenseman Ian White and center Matt Stajan. White will be a resricted free agent July 1, while Stajan will be unresctricted free agent.

Phaneuf has four more years left on his deal after this season at at an average of $6.5 million per year.

A source told ESPN.com that as of 11:30 a.m. ET, Giguere had not yet waived his no-trade clause but a source close to the situation expected he would.

Goalie Vesa Toskala would be headed from Toronto to Anaheim as part of the deal and there may be other parts to this trade as well, the source said.

Giguere has one year left on his deal next season at $7 million while Toskala, earning $4 million this year, will be an unrestricted free agent July 1.

The Maple Leafs were holding a news conference Sunday morning and were expected to announce a roster shakeup. The Leafs are 29th in the NHL overall standings and lost 5-3 to Vancouver on Saturday night, blowing a 3-0 lead.

cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 11:13:01 am »

The final deal is this

Matt Stajan
Niklas Hagman
Jamal Mayers
Ian White

for

Dion Phaneuf
Fredrik Sjostrom
Keith Aulie

and

Toskala and Jason Blake

for

Giguere

Leafs are cleaning house. I like it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:19:25 pm by cselby » Logged

Soon....
No Pressure
MVP

Soul-

Respect: +432

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 12:31:51 pm »

I really hope the Hawks try and get Kovalchuck before the deadline again this season. I swear the Kovalchuck to the Hawks rumor is about as bad as the Amare to the Bulls rumor the past two seasons.  The Hawks definitely have the pieces, and NEEEEEEEED his expiring contract.  He would definitely be the last piece to a hopeful Stanley Cup run.

cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 12:43:06 pm »

Such a good day to be a Leafs fan...

anyways, Kovalchuk to Chicago would be amazing but not likely. if they get him they easily become favourites for the Cup though.

Soon....
Super_Nintendo_Chalmers
a.k.a. Rowan_Barrett & Handsome_B_Wonderful
MVP

Respect: +73

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 05:37:45 pm »

Great deals made by the Leafs. They should probably try to acquire another forward before the deadline though. There defense should be great for years to come though. Too bad they don't have the pieces required to get Kovalchuk, although Burke probably wouldn't want a Russian ruining his "North American brand of Hockey".
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 05:54:55 pm »

Great deals made by the Leafs. They should probably try to acquire another forward before the deadline though. There defense should be great for years to come though. Too bad they don't have the pieces required to get Kovalchuk, although Burke probably wouldn't want a Russian ruining his "North American brand of Hockey".

Kovalchuk actually said recently he would consider signing with 3 teams when he becomes a UFA this offseason: Toronto, LA, and NYR. I'll have to find a link but I definitely read it somewhere. Naturally, the latter two seem like much more enticing options, but Toronto has the most money to give out of the 3...it depends where Kovalchuk's head is at, if he's a money man or a guy who wants to make the playoffs and such. That being said, adding him to the Leafs with Gustavsson having more experience, Phaneuf, Kessel, and Kaberle as other core players could greatly improve them.

I think a defenceman such as Exelby or Van Ryn will be dealt for a forward of sorts, nobody all too good but someone reliable enough if the young guys like Bozak and Stalberg don't work out. The team is going to be painfully bad for the last 25 games this year, but I finally feel confident that we have a GM who has a good plan in place.

Soon....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 86   Go Up

Jump to: